Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asm198

New neighbors and shared gate. What to do?

Last year, our long time neighbors moved (they'd lived there about 40 yrs; we've been here for 10) and the home sat vacant until recently.

The people who used to own our home were good friends with our neighbors and when they decided to separate the yards with a chain link fence, they added a gate, so that their kids could come and go as they pleased. This gate is at the corner of our yard and is next to an electrical pole.

A couple of months before the new neighbors moved in, they had someone come to do some yardwork, some of which was trimming a tree near the gate. The workmen opened the gate for some reason and I ended up spending several hours looking for my dogs.

After they moved in, I approached them to discuss a different matter (the number and brightness of their new deck lights) and was told they weren't going to do anything about the lights and I needed to get curtains (I already have both curtains and blinds).

I have no idea who owns the fence, but the fence company logo faces our property. I would like to put a chain with a lock on the gate, so ensure that it remains closed, but I don't want to prevent any public works crews from having access if needed. At the moment, removing the gate isn't possible.

Suggestions about how to handle this situation?

Comments (8)

• camlan
    9 years ago

If the gate wasn't there at all, how would public works crews get access to the electrical pole? My guess is that it would be through your yard or the the neighbors, but there would be a way.

In order to maintain as good a relationship with the new neighbors as possible, I'd go over again and let them know that you are planning on locking the gate, as unfortunately your dogs have escaped through the gate.

I would take the approach of telling them this as an FYI, not as if you are asking permission. I would not bring up their workmen or the question of who opened the gate and let the dogs out. Just smile politely and let them know that the gate will be locked shut from now on.

• peegee
    9 years ago

Do they even know the gate currently is a working gate? Would they know that it doesn't already have a lock on it? I might quietly lock it and deal with the reason why if they ever bring it up. Telling them about it before doing it might just open a can of worms, given how unreasonably they dealt with your reasonable request about the bright lights. Yikes! And if it turns out to be their fence, simply take off your lock. I think camlan's pleasant approach would be more effective with new neighbors who are invested in being neighborly.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

I'm with peegee on this one - don't ask permission or even announce your intentions, just do it. Deal with it if/when your 'neighbors' (and I use that term loosely) bring it up. Sorry you seem to have lost in the god neighbor lottery this time around :-(

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

I think your first job is to determine who's fence/gate it is by lot line. AND, if it is in a public right of way for the electrical pole. All of this information should be recorded.

And, you might first try a zip tie.

Good luck.

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

because you said - "The people who used to own our home were good friends with our neighbors and when they decided to separate the yards with a chain link fence, they added a gate, so that their kids could come and go as they pleased. This gate is at the corner of our yard and is next to an electrical pole",

I would just put a lock on it and not say anything to the neighbors.

• redcurls
    9 years ago

I'd just go ahead and quietly lock it also, but what sasafras quoted makes it sound like the fence belongs to the neighbors.

• asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the responses.

The gate in question isn't a "working" gate, as there is simply a latch between our houses.

I have no problem telling them I am blocking access and my dogs barking at them (we're talking a 14 yr old Yorkie with health issues and 12 yr old Yorkie/Chihuahua mix. We're not talking dogs that pose a threat.

• homer100_gw
    9 years ago

Lock it and be done with it. And tell them their lights are bothering you and to get a dimmer bulb or you will shoot it out with a bb gun, LOL. I have no patience with jackhole neighbors