Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buying frustration

Posted by tricia560 (My Page) on
Fri, May 28, 10 at 16:34

I vaguely knew what we were in for, since my parents bought multiple houses during my childhood, but this is our first house purchase, and it's soooo very frustrating. We're doing a VA loan, so we had to wait for a VA appraiser to go out (that took a full 2 weeks), he found issues that he noted for repair. They were things we were fully expecting to fix during our first year of ownership, so not a surprise, really.

The sellers were great about getting everything done, but now we're waiting again for the appraiser to go back out and sign off. He was there yesterday for 5 minutes to take pictures, but still no addendum. Do you think the short visit is a good sign? We just want sign off so we can close by June 30. My dread is that he'll want more repairs. It's friday before a long weekend, and I just want to know already, lol

Guess I'm venting a bit, but I would like to know if the appraisal is always this frustrating? I bet the sellers feel the exact same way...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buying frustration

EVERYTHING about buying a house seems to take longer than it should and I'm a veteran at it.
You've got almost an entire month of frustration in front of you. Put your energies into organizing your move. It will help past the time and make life on the other side of June 30th much easier.

The chances are pretty good all work on your paper work stopped around 3 this afternoon and won't resume till Tues. sometime. Forget about the house and enjoy the weekend.

o

Sounds good that he was there for only five minutes. Doesn't sound like he stuck around to dig up more stuff. So it does sound like a good sign.

Time will pass at a snails pace just hang in there you will be in your new home before you know it!

Happy Memorial Day!!!!

o

Just remember this frustration now and put it to good use later. Start putting money aside now for your next home. Sounds crazy now, but when you come to the table with a wad of cash, things tend to go so much smoother than when you have to deal with government programs to finance everything. The VA loan program helps a lot of young people get their first homes, but like any government program, there are a lot of hoops to jump through. eg a standard appraisal would take maybe 3 days, not 3 weeks+.

BTW - thank you to you (or your spouse) for your service.

o

Thanks for the good thoughts guys!! We JUST heard, the appraiser approved the fixes. The sellers are packing, the money guy has things moving, and we may just barely squeak into closing on Friday. I'm so excited!

Bill-my husband is the vet. My parents are also veterans--Dad 20+ years, Mom 8. I appreciate the VA program for the help it's giving us and has given my parents, but we definitely plan to have a sizable deposit on hand if we do this again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here