Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are basement bulkheads meant for?

Posted by zolcat (My Page) on
Sun, May 31, 09 at 15:57

I see a lot of houses with Bulkheads here in Connecticut,especialy in the older houses. What are they meant for?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are basement bulkheads meant for?

Probably has plumbing or ductwork in them.

o

Do you mean the bulkhead to the basement? If so, it's for access to the basement.

When we first moved to New England we'd never seen a bulkhead. In CO, homes are not built with outside access to the basement. It's a useful thing.

/tricia (who now lives in Mystic)

o

There are a lot of thme in NYC and NJ as well. They are the early version of a "walk out" basement.

o

You need at least one large entrance to the basement that is not through the house. What has our bulkhead been used for? To get the furnace, hotwater heater, etc., into the basement, to get lawn furniture into the basement for winter storage, provides access to anyone servicing the "systems". We use it constantly.

o

As the above have mentioned--ease of getting bulky/dirty things into and out of the basement without going through the formal first floor areas of the house, and as an additonal means of egress/an additional way out of a house in a basement that would otherwise have been totally underground and landlocked.

o

Maybe under current code you need a second entrance to the basement everywhere but it definately wasn't a historical requirement.

Far as I know, only if its living space does there need to be a second form of egress.

o

To bring all your large junk when you move in, never to be seen again. :) You need two forms of egress if you ever want to have a finished basement. When we built our home we put access to the basement via the garage to avoid needing a bulkhead on the outside of our house.

My grandmother's house had a dirt "root cellar" under the house accessed via a bulk head. A dark, dank, scary, spidery place filled with canning jars.

o

chrisk327: "Far as I know, only if its living space does there need to be a second form of egress."

Correct. Most homes that I have seen with basements, including ours built in '99 (old and new and in between) do not have a form of egress other then into the main house.

This is why so many basement "bedrooms" are illegal, as there is no form of egress directly to the outside, unless the windows have been enlarged enough for escape in case of fire.

Such access is definetly a plus, but not required by code unless the basement will be converted to living space inclusive of a bedroom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here