Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Back-up offer and earnest money deposit

Posted by kansasmom (My Page) on
Mon, May 11, 09 at 15:34

About 3 weeks ago we submitted a back-up offer on a house along with the $1,000 earnest money deposit (standard for our area). As far as we know, the sale of the house (to the other buyer) is still scheduled to go through this week. Just last week, our earnest money check was cashed! I thought that the sellers couldn't deposit our check unless they had accepted our offer. Does anyone know if the seller can deposit earnest money from a back-up offer when they still have the orignal offer under contract?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Back-up offer and earnest money deposit

I thought the real estate agent kept the check in escrow and returned it to you if the sale went through.

o

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I wrote the check to the real estate company, so it was deposited to an escrow account (I assume). Previous to this, we made a back-up offer on another house. The seller's agent on that house held the check, but did not deposit it to an escrow account. My questions is can the seller's agent deposit the check and hold the money in escrow even though my offer is only a back-up offer?

o

A COPY of the check is all the buyer needs to present with an offer, until a contract is executed. Once the contract is executed, the agent has 3 days to get it into the escrow account.
You should have kept the check until contract. If you did hand over the check, the agent has no choice but to put it into escrow. The first agent should not have kept hold of a clients check for such a long time, w/o depositing it into an escrow account.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here