Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slobarbara

Better to do maintenance before listing or sell house at lower pr

slobarbara
10 years ago

Our home is an almost 20-year-old home in a beautiful area of the California central coast. It is a four bedroom on a 2/3 of an acre parcel. We expect to be selling shortly. We have a fair amount of cosmetic maintenance that needs doing - painting, landscaping, new flooring, and new window coverings. Unfortunately, we also have a couple neighbors that have an excessive number of vehicles - some which are parked in front of our house frequently. In general, would it be better to sell the house without the maintenance tasks completed and lower the selling price, or would it be best to complete all the tasks and sell at a higher price?

Comments (6)

• marie_ndcal
    10 years ago

I don't see a problem with fixing it up, as long as you don't put an extensive amount of money in it--and do not use "cheap" paint. Neutral colors and there are others here that can tell you what colors are better than others. The one thing that would turn me off is your neighbors parking. And that has been discussed on other postings. If you have good (or even fair) communication with your neighbors, you might tell them you are going to sell your home, and you would appreciate they not park in front leaving it clear for others to look at the house. Could you post some pictures? that would help
    Good luck

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

Are you interested in maximum value or a quick sale?

How do you value the two items?

What is the cost of "fair amount of cosmetic maintenance that needs doing"?

How will this make you house compare with others at its price point?

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

We have a fair amount of cosmetic maintenance that needs doing - painting, landscaping, new flooring, and new window coverings. Unfortunately, we also have a couple neighbors that have an excessive number of vehicles - some which are parked in front of our house

If you had a neighbor with fewer vehicles and a shabby house, it would be a fixer-upper. If you had an immaculate house and the car-collecting neighbor, many people would overlook the neighbor's cars.

But put a shabby house and a cluttered parking situation ... it's looking like a rundown neighborhood.

The only thing you can control is your property, so clean up the landscaping, clean the house, take care of the minor repairs, etc.

New Flooring and window coverings? I'd not spend much on either, unless the flooring was totally trashed. What is the current flooring?

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Clean, clean, clean, and declutter. Paint is a relatively inexpensive fix. Fix minor things. Skip the window coverings. If the floor can't be cleaned, replace with neutral covering. Clean up the yard, cut lawn/bushes, get lots of annuals. These things pay off both in a quicker sale and a higher price.

• crackermoo
    10 years ago

I agree with the others here. Clean, clear out and paint. Fix what needs to be fixed, within reason.

As a buyer, when I see cosmetic maintenance tasks that have not been kept up, I can't help but assume that there are more, *hidden* tasks that have not been kept up.

I think it's worth your while to try to present your home with your "best foot forward".