Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
FHA vs Conventional

Posted by kotena (My Page) on
Mon, May 18, 09 at 14:01

We found a house at $328K in as-is-condition. The house requires about $30K investment with all labor free(my husband's). The appraisal came in very tight at $328K (I do not get how they figured this out). Since we are financing with less than 20% down, there needs to be insurance on the house. our lender called today saying that he could not find mortgage insurance on this house because none of the insurers liked the property - sigarette smell, old house, requires work. I.e. our only choice now is FHA, and not because of us (our credit scores are excellent and debt/equity ratio is ok), but because of the house. I have few questions on FHA
1 - FHA will requrie some insurance premium to be added to the mortgage (about $6-7K) - can I ask for reduction of the sales price now since it is pretty much like the appraisal came low?
2 - Can I refinance FHA into conventional?
3 - Will FHA PMI ever disappear?

we are torn now - want this house, but do not want to increase our debt and have higher than expected monthly payments.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: FHA vs Conventional

our lender called today saying that he could not find mortgage insurance on this house because none of the insurers liked the property - sigarette smell, old house, requires work. I.e

1st off, find another lender, he's lying to you. How many "insurance companies" went to the house and smelled the cigarettes. How ridiculous!

2nd, FHA could be a nice mortgage for a first time home buyer. You have to come up with very little money and if the house is in good condition, you have nothing to worry about.

Talk to a few lenders.

o

Needed repairs can trow a wrench into FHA financing.

FHA has their own inspection rules.

The insurance premium for FHA may be partially refunded if you refinance and pay off the FHA loan, but it is paid up front and never canceled.

o

The monthly FHA PMI (MIP) has to be paid for a minimum of 5 years. It is based on the original loan amount and cannot be removed with an appraisal. You must pay off 22% of the original loan amount before it can be removed.

HTH a little with one of your questions.

o

I agree with some of the other posters ... call your lender and ask for the specific reasons why the MI companies will not insure the property. I can tell you that the MI companies currently have LOTS of restrictions, but not of the type you listed.

What makes up the $30K worth of repairs? Updating and cosmetic? Or real physical issues - heat, wiring, structural. FHA will require any safety and soundness problems to be fixed prior to closing.

Yes, you can refi an FHA into a conventional.

And no, I don't think you can go back and ask for a reduction is sales price, the house did actually appraise for the sales price.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here