Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emg1234_gw

Buyer now asking for unnecessary "repairs"

EMG1234
9 years ago

Would love some advice from people?
We put our house on the market a few weeks ago as we intend on building a house this summer.
First offer came in at more than $20K below asking price (12% below asking) and they wanted everything included. We stayed at the negotiation table despite the lowball offer and eventually accepted an offer from them that was $12K below our asking price with no inclusions since they were trying to beat a transfer tax threshold and the timing of the offer meant we'd be able to start moving forward with building our new house (we don't want to start building until our house is sold to avoid ending up with two mortgages- we'll rent during the building phase). The purchase price is easily $5K below what we know we could get if we stayed on the market waiting for the "right" offer.
They've now come back to us after the home inspection saying there is a crack in the foundation and they want it repaired (also they want a screen put in the window rather than having to put it in the window themselves which just seems a bit crackpot like). There's a hairline vertical crack on the interior of the foundation wall. These are extremely common in our area due to our soil so you are unlikely to find any home that doesn't have this exact same type of crack. They want us to dig up the foundation on the outside and have it repaired. There has never been any water come in and anyone with any sense would tell them that so long as it's not leaking you shouldn't mess with it because the new material would expand and contract at a different rate as the existing wall. We've double-checked with a good contractor that we trust and he confirms that it shouldn't be "fixed" unless it's leaking or there was a structural problem- which there isn't- and even then it's not something that they would dig up the foundation to fix.
Getting a house that's in great condition for 5-6% below market and asking for unnecessary "repairs" done in the most expensive fashion imaginable. Even our agent is shocked. I hate to push away a buyer. Am I being unreasonable to refuse?

Comments (16)

• cold_weather_is_evil
    9 years ago

They're not "a buyer". They're an omen of things to come. You folded once and they smell blood. Push!

• EMG1234
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's what I'm assuming. Also, looking at the market, their only options in the price range they want are much older homes that are in need of a new kitchen, new roof, etc. and I'd be shocked if they didn't have similar foundation cracks.
    I know sometimes sellers get emotionally attached to their homes and offended when people claim they are "flawed" but I honestly don't think that this is emotion on my part. These people are first time home buyers and I think must want "perfect" for "less."

• Kathy Harrington
    9 years ago

What did the inspection report note? If it remarked that there are foundation issues, I would want it fixed as well as a buyer. Having just gone through helping my daughter and son in law buy their first home, I understand the fear of a young first home buyer. They certainly don't want to walk into a future expense they may not be able to handle. This is an opportunity for the agents to educate on what is a necessary repair

• EMG1234
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They haven't provided us with the inspector's report.

I could completely understand if there was water or structural issues but neither is the case and the way that they want it repaired is the completely wrong way to do it. We've offered to let them have a foundation expert come and inspect it for them but they don't seem to be interested it that.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

Not every inspector does work of the same quality...one could note a crack without knowing if its something that should be addressed or not. The inspector our buyers hired told them the glassed in front porch was an 'immediate danger' and should be safety glass when I had replaced it with safety glass 5 years earlier, he didn't know what he was looking at.

He told them too that the backup furnace to the heat pump wasn't operational when it was him not knowing how the computerized thermostat functioned. I had it inspected and a report prepared by a licensed heating and cooling business that said all was operating normally and no adjustment required.

Our buyers paid him $400 for questionable advice, I paid $189.95 for whole system check to the heating/cooling service to show them he was wrong.
    Badly spent $600 IMO.

• Kathy Harrington
    9 years ago

Not sure if it is required to provide the inspection report when asking for repairs, but I would request it before I offer to pay for anything.

• jewelisfabulous
    9 years ago

If push comes to shove, I would do nothing about the foundation crack except agree to put a small amount in escrow for the buyer's to use towards the "repair". Give them 6 months after closing to use it or lose it.

• eaga
    9 years ago

My take is that they're hoping you'll lower the price to avoid having to do the repair, so they can bring the price closer to their original offer. We had a buyer invent a leak in our above-ground oil tank, the replacement cost of which magically matched the difference they had to come up to to reach our final counteroffer. It was annoying but not enough money for us to cancel the deal.

But what your buyers want sounds more expensive than a new oil tank would have been for us. I would refuse, especially since they weren't interested in getting an opinion from a foundation expert. If they were truly concerned about the foundation they would welcome the chance to get a second opinion.

Also, that screen thing is weird and makes them seem flaky.

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

How is requesting the screen replacement weird? If it is window that is supposed to have a screen on it, just do and be done. Moving is a huge job with pages of penny ante things to do, on top of the big tasks. Those little things really eat up a lot of time.

When we moved, the next morning I discovered a flat tire on my car. Well, I certainly can change a tire. But at that time it would have taken me away from my many other moving tasks. So I called AAA to change it for me. Sometimes, one more little thing to complete, is one more you would rather not have to do if at all possible.

• done_again_2
    9 years ago

When we sold last year our buyers were a pain in the behind during the inspection phase. The things they asked for on their inspection report were ludicrous. Nothing was structural or significant in any way but we offered them a small credit at closing as a good will gesture. They came back and asked that all the items be fixed or a large sum of money. We stood our ground and they ultimately agreed. The reason given to us by our realtor was they just sold their house and had a bad experience during the inspection phase. You've got to do what's best for you and proceed from there. If the foundation crack bothers them that much then they should probably try finding a house without one (if possible).

• eaga
    9 years ago

Gyr_Falcon - The screen thing isn't weird in and of itself and I agree that the seller should just take care of it. But it's too small of an issue in the context of the contract negotiation where the seller might be expected to face a consequence if the defect isn't corrected. I would be concerned about a buyer who wasn't interested in getting expert advice on a possible foundation issue but would bring up a missing screen.

• detroit_burb
    9 years ago

the screen was an obvious visual, the inspection has NOTHING to do with a screen, don't entertain this unless it was in the original offer.

if they don't give you the inspection, you can refuse to do any work for them.

Honestly, put the house back on the market as active, and tell them you want to begin marketing the house again while they decide if they will share the inspection with you. Just say that you cannot waste time.

Have an open house this weekend while they think about it.

Sometimes you just have to push back.

• christopherh
    9 years ago

Sounds like the buyers get their negotiating skills from "House Hunters".

Fix the screen and stand your ground on the crack.

• lyfia
    9 years ago

Since it appears the buyer had a timeline in this case I would just stand your ground and go with no fixes and come back with the price is already discounted. They can take it or leave it. Sounds like you don't have as tight of a timeline and can afford to wait for another buyer to come through even though it would be less convenient.

Actually I would push back on the screen too - I'd say this is something visible that should have been taken into account to start with in their offer, but if it is simple you could fix it as I assume you will have to do it before going on the market again.

When I sold my house I had listed on the disclosure form that the stove digital oven display panel was broke (oven still worked, plus had wall ovens as well). My buyers requested this as a repair and I just came back with they should have taken that into account when making the offer. Their realtor just nodded when I said that like she expected it.

• thatgirl2478
    9 years ago

eh - screens are easy to fix - they sell kits at any of the big box stores for pretty cheap. I agree that it shouldn't be in the inspection, but it's a minor thing that I wouldn't lose a contract over.

The foundation 'crack' I would see if they would accept having another contractor come & take a look at it to give a better picture of what should/shouldn't be done about it.

We just closed on a house where the buyer requested all sorts of ridiculous 'fixes' including adding return vents to the 2nd floor bedrooms (house was built in 1916, not going to happen), extending the HVAC to the not legally habitable attic space, running electric service to the garage (that wasn't being sold with electric service) having the furnace reinspected and cleaned just 6 months after the last service & cleaning, etc etc etc.

Our first response to his 'demands' was 'NO' on it all since it wasn't clear that he understood that an inspection was to address material defects and not renovations... We went back & forth and finally settled on fixing the few things that could be considered issues (though they were not) just to appease him.