Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Switching seller agents?

Posted by beckyaz (My Page) on
Mon, May 31, 10 at 12:37

My parents are in Illinois and their contract with their current realtor is up, and they've lined up a new agent. What happens if, three weeks after the contract with the new agent starts, someone who looked at the house when the first agent had it puts in an offer? Who gets the commission? Is it split? Does the first agent get it even though she no longer has the listing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Switching seller agents?

If someone looked at the house without an agent, the new listing agent gets the full commission (both sides) if that buyer uses the new listing agent.
The holdover period (could be 3 to 6 months) from the old agent goes away when the home is relisted with a different company/agent.

o

Well, here's the exact situation... My parents realtor is terrible - their contract with her is up 5/31 (today). They told her 2 weeks ago they were not renewing their contract with her. There is someone who has looked at the property with their agent and my parents agent has been in contact with their agent. She says they are interested but it's been 2 weeks and supposedly the buyer has been ill and hasn't been able to get with his realtor to write up a contract. So, if they list effective 6/1 with a new agent, and then let's say on 6/10 that buyer writes up a contract to buy the house, who gets the commission - the new agent? Or the one who had the house listed when they looked at the house a month ago?

o

The contract with agent #1 should detail what the terms are for the situation you describe. Dig out the contract and happy reading!

o

If your parents want to be really fair, they'll agree to pay Broker #1 if the house sells to Buyer Smith.

They can exclude Buyer Smith from the new listing agreement.

I wish you the best.

o

MLS rules dictate what happens when a listing expires and gets relisted with a different company/agent.
I don't know of any MLS that would pay the "expired" listing agent if the buyer has had their own agent.
The new listing agent and the buyers agent get paid.

"....let's say on 6/10 that buyer writes up a contract to buy the house".
You mean the buyers agent writes the contract?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here