Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moving question

Posted by palomalou (My Page) on
Mon, May 9, 11 at 11:46

We will be moving without a car (selling them before the move, not replacing). Has anyone moved mature, nice houseplants in the moving van? Will they die? I rather expect so, but would love to hear tales of happy survival.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moving question

Need lots more information.
1) what kind of plants?
2) when are you moving?
3) how far are you moving?

You may also want to try and ask on the garden/plant forums.

o

It depends on the moving company, the weather, & the length of time the plants will be in the van.

I'd bring it up when I interviewed movers.

If I were moving here in Texas in the summer (now to November), I'd sell them at a garage sale!

If you do move them, treat them the way mail-order plant sellers do:
water them well the night before, & pack them in boxes with crumpled paper for insulation & "shock absorbers".

o

Movers will not take houseplants! Most moving companies have a list of items that they will not move. Booze and houseplants are two I remember.Fireworks, paints, paint removers.........anything that can start a fire they won't take.
Certain states have very strict laws about the transportation of plants into the state due tho their heavy reliance on agriculture for their livelyhood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here