Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasjen_gw

Recommendations for flower colors for curb appeal when selling?

TexasJen
10 years ago

Hi, I'm new here, but everyone seems to give such great advice that I thought I'd jump right in! :)

We just went under contract to buy a new house, so are putting our house on the market next week. Spring has finally arrived here, so I want to plant some annuals in our front garden bed.

Our house is freshly painted a warmish tan, with white trim, and there is just a tiny bit of reddish brick accent (on either side of the garage). The front steps are a light grey - almost white - concrete, and next them we have a raised bed lined with light grey paver stones.

I'm wondering what color annuals to put in there to make it look the most welcoming. There is a small lilac to the side, which will hopefully be blooming in the next couple of weeks, and there is a rose in there, but I think it will be at least another month before that blooms.

So I'm working with tan/white background, plus a bit of red brick (way off to the side though), and lavender. I'm thinking definitely some petunias, because they do really well here. Oh, and it's a West-facing house, so I need sun-loving flowers.

Thanks so much for any suggestions!

Comments (13)

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

What color is your front door?
    But if I were you, I'd suggest posting your question in the decorating forum. You'll most likely get more helpful responses.
    Good luck.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Maybe poppies for some height?

• TexasJen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I totally forgot about the front door! It's a teal-blue color. Does the decorating forum do outdoor decor too? I'll have to check that out - thanks!

• wagnerpe
    10 years ago

I love petunias, so pretty! Don't forget to pull off the dead blooms - that encourages reblooming. I would suggest a mix of bright pink, light pink and white, but the decorating forum most definitely does do outdoor decor and I'm sure they'd be happy to help.

• TexasJen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I totally forgot about the front door! It's a teal-blue color. Does the decorating forum do outdoor decor too? I'll have to check that out - thanks!

• sheilajoyce_gw
    10 years ago

I have noticed that the lighter colors show up more from the street. Darkly colored flowers often get lost in the greenery. I would plant especially pinks and whites. As mentioned above, petunias are very colorful and showy. They provide quick color.

• Adella Bedella
    10 years ago

Do you have some types of 'green' plants up next your house like evergreens or other type of shrubbery? That usually sets the back drop for what else you plant. Where you live in the state... high temperatures, sun, soil, and humidity... is going to affect what will grow best. With tan as the house backdrop and a teal door, I'd probably go with a lot of color like reds, yellows, purples, white and oranges. I just got back from the nursery, there were a lot of beautiful flowers in there. I like to plant in rainbows. I use a lot of zinnias out in the more sunny areas. I put impatiens and vinca in the less sunnier spots. Salvia, verbena, Mexican hat and lantana usually also do well for me in full sun areas. There are a lot of other good choices out there also. You could probably take some pictures and go down to your local nursery to see what they would recommend that would look pretty and be easy to maintain.

• rpk1
    10 years ago

I forget where I read this but I did read that yellow flowers help sell a house. I planted some yellow pansies in our planter box at our soon to be listed house.

• weedyacres
    10 years ago

I'd definitely go for pink petunias.

• zippity1
    10 years ago

i'd try to plant something that would still look good in 3/4 months your house may sell in a few days or a few months......
    also i'd just drive around town and see what looked pretty to me that wouldn't clash with the paint/brick etc
    cuphea are good for hot dry places and some are blooming machines
    I also like verbena- I have pink parfet and a red homestead
    neither of these plants like a lot of attention/water

• lyfia
    10 years ago

If you are in TX I would avoid annuals. Too much water needed to try to keep them looking good.

Try some trailing lantana instead. Low water needs and just keeps on blooming and spreads out nicely too. A purple and whit planted closer together makes for a cool look as they look like one plant with two different color flowers.

Yellow lantana is another good option, but it gets a bit taller.

If not in TX ignore.

• ncrealestateguy
    10 years ago

The particular plant or color is not nearly as important as just having some nicely maintained beds. New mulch, nicely edged, no weeds, flowers/shrubs...

• TexasJen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the advice! We're actually not in Texas anymore, so heat isn't as much of an issue.

I purchased a flat of petunias in white, a variety of pinks, and a few purples. It looks pretty good so far, just going to pick up 2 larger somethings tomorrow to finish it off. I'm thinking maybe geranium, for the height, but I'll see what they have and what they recommend at our nursery. Plus a bag of mulch. :)