Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Basement Moisture Par For Course

Posted by grandmum (My Page) on
Fri, May 17, 13 at 11:26

Daughter wants house with basement, no need to be finished, just for easy access to mechanicals and the fact she doesnt want a slab nor a crawl.

It seems that in most of the ranch/bungalow type homes of 60's vintage or there abouts has evidence of moisture problems. Some "fixed", "waterproofed" etc other not.

Im not sure what I am asking really, but she is thinking she should just accept this fact .....

thanks for allowing me to vent, any ideas?


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Basement Moisture Par For Course

She would be correct. If she is not wanting crawl or slab, she wants basement and they will have water issues at some point (past, present, future, or all three). She presumably knows this and has determined that for her, she'd rather be able to SEE what she is dealing with than guess. This damp "con" does not outweigh the benefits of having a basement--for her.


 o
RE: Basement Moisture Par For Course

If a basement home is built correctly, it will remain dry forever.
Having said that, most do have some problems sooner or later.
I am with your daughter... I will never own another home w/o a basement.
90% ow basement water problems are an easy fix by having proper grading and proper downspouts. The other 10% can be costlier.


 o
RE: Basement Moisture Par For Course

And tell her to educate herself on the causes of wet basements. Sometimes it can be a easy fix like proper gutters/downspouts directing water away from the house. Sometimes it can be much more.

And I agree with your daughter, I would rather have a damp basement, then a crawlspace.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here