Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maine_lawn_nut

Buyer from hell

maine_lawn_nut
10 years ago

well we got couple offers.

The best offer is a from a couple who the husband is supposedly a former appraiser from years ago. My agent said he thinks he's a know it all too.

We countered their offer but our agent said the couple apparently has made several offers on houses in the past few months and all rejected so apparently the guy is outsmarting himself. Our house is priced below competition and shows like a model home so if they can't close the deal on this house, lord help them.

Can only imagine what the guy will be like with a home inspection and try and nickel and dime stuff until the very end if they accept.

Other offer isn't as good as buyer has house to sell so would be contingency offer. Too bad, seem like nice people.

Here's the hoping we can close the deal.

Comments (56)

• Tony2Toes
    10 years ago

Sounds to me like buyer and seller match up pretty closely.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Agree with linda. Keep an open mind, and don't take it personally. I bought a new house that was well constructed, and still there was a long list of items on the inspection list, some of which were easily fixed, others were acknowledged but not changed.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

Wow... I don't see a "buyer from hell" at all!

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

+1 Tony2Toes

• maine_lawn_nut
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There's more too it that I don't want to post on a public forum.

There's literally nothing that could be put on inspection report that warrants fixing but will be interesting to see what they come up with.

This isn't our first rodeo with buying and selling folks. House was a custom with tons of upgrades and buyer is unrealistic. Period. In fact house has yet another showing today so if he fools around too much they'll be back to looking for another house.

• ncrealestateguy
    10 years ago

When was the last you time you crawled into your crawl space? Or your attic? or onto the roof? or checked to see the difference between the air temperature between the intake and vents of the HVAC system? Probably never.
    Congrats on the contract... I suppose they just couldn't pass on those great pictures of the secondary bedrooms.

• maine_lawn_nut
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ncre, this is New England, we don't have crawl spaces. See what happens when you get stuck in your paradigm?

I specifically was in my attic last week to make sure the dryer duct was spotless.

Boiler (Viessmann but you probably don't even know what that is) was already serviced as part of annual service. This is Maine, no A/C like 99.9% of houses.

You'd spot a roof defect on my roof with naked eye if there was one.

My agent must not be as cheap as you since the MLS gives space for 35 images. Maybe you should step-up your game.

Yes, some of us actually are engineers and know how to maintain and build a home.

Be aware that the house was gone over thoroughly at move in and at the end of the 18 month warranty. Only thing I just found was one garage door was not sensitive enough on an obstruction. Thinking I may leave it to give him something to write up since it's a 30 second adjustment.

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

Wow, antagonist and arrogant. Did you have a specific question that you wanted addressed by the kind folks here who offer up their expertise? Otherwise, might I suggest that you discuss your perfect house with your REA since they seem more knowledgable to your situation.

• maine_lawn_nut
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I simply shared my situation for other people out there as dialogue. the arrogance came from ncre about the pictures. He doesn't show bedrooms which I think is poor marketing so he decided to try and take a dig.

Our house wasn't going to be hard sell, but finding right price is crap shoot as the churn is low to comps are limited.

My interest in this section of GW is pricing decisions. I'd like to share more about my buyer but would give away too much. It's a small world is all I can say.... and yes, the buyer is an a-hole.

I wish the other people didn't have house to sell but as long as we make to it to close without major hassle we'll be happy.

I'd love to see a house up here with a "crawl space" after a few winters and no frost wall protected foundation.

This post was edited by maine_lawn_nut on Tue, May 14, 13 at 13:13

• dixiedog_2007
    10 years ago

"ncre, this is New England, we don't have crawl spaces. See what happens when you get stuck in your paradigm?"

Completely false. Do your homework before attacking ncre.

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

My agent must not be as cheap as you since the MLS gives space for 35 images. Maybe you should step-up your game.

The number of pictures that an agent can put on MLS is not under the individual agent's control. It is up to each MLS system, of which there are probably hundreds in the country.

• kswl2
    10 years ago

"There's literally nothing that could be put on inspection report that warrants fixing but will be interesting to see what they come up with."

There's always something. And your attitude may be more off-putting to a potential buyer than any defect the house might have.

• ctlady_gw
    10 years ago

My last house (in Connecticut) had a crawl space... last time I checked, Connecticut was still in New England :)

Personally, I hope the buyers will RUN, not walk, away from this deal as fast as they can. This seller is going to be a nightmare for them to deal with (we had a similar experience -- and we nearly walked and probably should have, purely based on the seller's "attitude" ... which was remarkably similar to maine_lawn_nut's).

• dixiedog_2007
    10 years ago

"There's literally nothing that could be put on inspection report that warrants fixing but will be interesting to see what they come up with."

There's always something. And your attitude may be more off-putting to a potential buyer than any defect the house might have.

You got that right kswl!!!

• ncrealestateguy
    10 years ago

Maine Nut...
    To refresh everyone's memory, you attacked me in another thread because I typically do not post photos of bedrooms. You called me lazy, said I did not know how to market a home, and then suggested that all of my experience must come from selling in cookie cutter neighborhoods... all of which is false.
    Of course I was going to give you a dig in this post.
    And what is wrong with agents that only sell in cookie cutter neighborhoods? For the most part, all houses are sold the same way.
    BTW... homes on slabs down here are considered a step down than those on crawl. And basements and crawls exists all over the world in all climates.

• maine_lawn_nut
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ncre, I used to live in Cary and I'm from NC ;)

As with any type written communication, what is said/meant doesn't always directly convey as intended. My point was don't think everything you're used to NC applies up here. Of course older houses up here have crawl spaces, but the far majority of homes up here are on full foundations.

For an agent to now show all aspects of a home, given the large sum of money sellers are paying for a service, as far as I'm concerned any agent who doesn't show bedrooms is not an agent I would want or use.

Again, I wish I could share more about the buyer but then it would get too specific to feel comfortable putting out there. I understand the RE game of home inspection which is why my agent is leery given this buyers history. Buyers history with previous offers on other homes is now known to us ;) Like I said, small world.

• maine_lawn_nut
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ctlady, would not bother me in the least if they run, we now have a back-up offer.

If you read with context what I wrote, you will see that I was implying to NCRE to get away from his notion that houses are all on crawl spaces. The majority are not and hence non-issue. He's from NC where far and away houses are mostly on crawl space and/or slabs and completely opposite of home construction in New England.

And now that we know the buyers financial situation, they are out of leverage. Funny how that works.

But wishing a deal to break down on someone is bad karma. And we all now what karma is.

• dreamgarden
    10 years ago

"This isn't our first rodeo with buying and selling folks. House was a custom with tons of upgrades and buyer is unrealistic. Period."

If there is very little (or no) work needed then you might very well get what your asking for.

I believe some buyers are unrealistic. If I had to sell, I'd probably do the same thing you are doing. Get the place fixed inside/out, stage it and let my realtor do their job.

I would never tell my realtor anything I'd want to get back to the buyer. Like that I have to sell because I got a job in another city, etc. Always seems to get back to the buyer and give them more leverage.

Good job with having lots of pics. I didn't rule out houses with few pics, but I did feel the seller had less to hide by showing more.

Your getting some snarky responses, but I hope you won't let that stop you from posting back about how things turn out. I'd be curious to know what happens!

Best of luck.

• ncrealestateguy
    10 years ago

Whatever...

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

First you said this:
    this is New England, we don't have crawl spaces.
    And then you said this:
    Of course older houses up here have crawl spaces, but the far majority of homes up here are on full foundations.

They are not the same no matter how you try to spin it.

• maine_lawn_nut
    Original Author
    10 years ago

deke, there's no spin. I know how houses are built. So what is point of your post other than to argue? Glad to see you have emotional investment in this. hehe

Read what I posted, it was in reference to his "crawl space" post. In NC is's quite rare to have full basements in many parts of the state......

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

"ncre, this is New England, we don't have crawl spaces."

" Of course older houses up here have crawl spaces"

Can't have it both ways without spinning it....

• maine_lawn_nut
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Quote the whole sentence my dear. Notice the reference to paradigms but this is what happens when you read into something that you want it to say.

Some of you act like you're 12 years old.

• lisarfuller
    10 years ago

Wow, and this is titled "BUYER from Hell" ?? Sounds like the seller we just dealt with and thankfully ran from a few weeks ago. No house is worth dealing with people like this!

• Markwahlberg
    10 years ago

You are emphasizing on what your real estate agent told you. I think that you should not conclude yourself about the buyer. There must be some sort of problems if he had rejected his previous offers. You are already thinking wrong about the buyer without inspecting much because you believe your agent. You should first talk to your buyer about all your queries.

• maine_lawn_nut
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LRFuller, and meanwhile you still don't have a house and have wasted more time with more looking and more negotiating. :thumbsup:

Mark, we have first hand account of what transpired with previous offer. We know one of the people he made to previous offer too. Can't share anything more but our agent warned us for good reason and thus far he's followed as predicted. I can give BOD to someone but this guy is classic example of not setting stage for easy buy/sell. RE is as much about psychology/sociology 101 and people forget that. Hopefully I'm wrong and inspection goes through easily.

• deegw
    10 years ago

Is there a full moon? People all over gardenweb are having inane arguments about semantics, posting in a condescending manner, calling names and immaturely attacking people who don't agree.

Whatever is going on, I hope it passes soon.

• hayden2
    10 years ago

We sold our mother's house to a buyer who had made multiple offers on other homes that never panned out. His RE agent told our agent he was difficult and just a low-baller.

When my agent told me that, I thought it was pretty meaningless unless they knew without a doubt what his motivations were. We ended up under contract at what I felt was a fair offer, and the sale went pretty smoothly.

In retrospect, I don't know why his agent had such a poor attitude about her buyer. She 1) may have been right and we just lucked out; 2) may have been wrong, and he had a ceiling on what he could offer on any house, and kept making offers on other homes that were over his price range; or 3) just possibly, both agents may have been influenced by his Indian descent. This last was something I picked up from stray comments about "you know how they are", etc. I didn't appreciate the agents saying things like that, or my agent repeating them.

In any case, whatever the reasons may be in your case, you might be well served just to deal with the numbers and forget the noise. It's hard enough to read people when you know them, much less when you've never met!

• christopherh
    10 years ago

"ncre, this is New England, we don't have crawl spaces. See what happens when you get stuck in your paradigm?"

I live in Vermont and there are plenty of houses with crawl spaces. And we have air conditioners too.

I don't have a dog in this fight but from what I have read, I see a seller who thinks his house is the best, the finest, the most wonderful, etc. And along comes a buyer who is every bit as headstrong.

The OP evidently doesn't like to be challenged. And the buyer is going to try to do what buyers do. Get the most house for the least money. And some buyers will nit pick all day long. You just deal with it and go with the flow.

• christopherh
    10 years ago

The OP is a FLATLANDER to boot.

• lisarfuller
    10 years ago

Actually, @maine, we found a better house with a blissfully reasonable buyer and gave them their asking price. What exactly have the buyers done to you so far? You haven't even gotten the inspection back yet. Of course the inspector is going to nit pick your house; that's what the buyers have paid him/her to do. My first seller actually kicked my inspector out of their house because he made a suggestion to my husband about getting energy efficient windows at some point. Just a suggestion mind you, and the owner freaked out thinking we were going to ask him for that. Didn't even cross our mind, but him acting like that soured the sale for us. You don't have to agree to fix anything on the inspection. Did I miss where you explain what the buyers have done, TO YOU, that makes them from hell?

• greg_2010
    10 years ago

I just don't get the point of the original post. There's no question and it seems like it's just saying "I have a buyer from hell ... but I can't tell you why I think that ... just believe me and congratulate me on having an awesome house!"

I'm not sure what kind of conversation you were trying to start.

• Tony2Toes
    10 years ago

Some posters confuse a message board with a personal blog. /shrug

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

This post stopped being useful to the general public after the first 24 hours.
    We all should just drop it and let it fall.

• christopherh
    10 years ago

When I sold my last house, the buyer looked at it and wrote the contract in the driveway. The offer was full price (cash) and no inspections. My house was custom built and designed by my wife and me.

During the interim time before the closing, we and the buyers got together and got along wonderfully. The realtors didn't like it, but too bad.

It's been 10 years and we still are in contact with each other.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Totally agree with Greg and have been asking myself the same question.
    What was the point of the original post?
    To ask for sympathy, reassurance, or to vent? Well, that didn't work out too well.
    To provide information about potential buyer shenanigans? Well, then we'd need some more information. So far, it doesn't sound like the buyer has done anything wrong in that transaction.

Are you saying that some buyers aren't serious and have no intention of following through with their offers?
    Are you saying that some buyers use blackmail techniques? Obviously hasn't worked so far since the buyer is still making offers-- unless buyer is an investor.

• littlebug5
    10 years ago

I am sTROLLing on by . . . . .

• dreamgarden
    10 years ago

"I don't have a dog in this fight but from what I have read, I see a seller who thinks his house is the best, the finest, the most wonderful, etc. And along comes a buyer who is every bit as headstrong."

I noticed (in another thread) that the OP is building a house.

"Building is the only way to get what we want. Everything we look at doesn't get us what we need."

I wonder if they will choose a builder who turns out to be as 'cooperative' as their buyers have been?

A link that might be useful:

ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/build/msg0518394326570.html?4

• barbcollins
    10 years ago

So how did the home inspection go?

• maine_lawn_nut
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One minor issue, only thing left is water test (house on well).

So far so good.

• maine_lawn_nut
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Crappygarden, get a life. Yes, we priced the house to sell an knew it was best on market for area. Home inspection result verified house condition

And you'll just have to deal with the fact that I can't tell everything I know on a public forum. The buyers have come down to earth.

I love how some of you seem to take this stuff seemingly to a personal level. I'm laughing at some of your posts as you all wallow i. misery trying to give advice.

A person above trying to brag about a sale from 10 years ago to today's market? Really? Everyone sold quickly back then. Duh.

This is one action of GW most people would be better off without. Have fun. We're moving on. ;)

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I'm happy for you that things worked out. Obviously you did a great job getting your house ready and negotiating the sale. Best of luck in your new house!

• stolenidentity
    10 years ago

Well now, an end at last, the house is sold, the final insult has been offered up, and we can all say good riddance!

I am kind of bummed, LOL - I just could not stop looking at this thread - I kept waiting to learn the secret(s) that could not be shared on this public forum about the buyers.

Now we will never know, but we did learn something about the Seller, eh??

• sweet_tea
    10 years ago

I have a feeling the neighbors are going to welcome the "buyer from hell" with open arms.

They might even throw a party ;)

• Tony2Toes
    10 years ago

Good riddance, air in here just got better you pompous a$$.

• ncrealestateguy
    10 years ago

NOW, we know the rest of the story...

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

We do? Man, fill in the slower of us please!
    This thread was the auto accident on the highway, I didn't want to be a rubbernecker, but just couldnt help myself.

• rrah
    10 years ago

^^^^^^^^^^Agree with the above^^^^^^^^^^

And because I can't help myself, this sentence is a priceless example of the pot calling the kettle black:

"I love how some of you seem to take this stuff seemingly to a personal level. I'm laughing at some of your posts as you all wallow i. misery trying to give advice. "

Talk about misery.........

• dreamgarden
    10 years ago

"I have a feeling the neighbors are going to welcome the "buyer from hell" with open arms."

In the meantime, this is what they are singing now!

"Ding Dong' the merry-oh, sing it high, sing it low.
    Let them know.......!

• weedyacres
    10 years ago

For heavens' sakes, I can't believe the venom spewed on this thread to the OP. Let it go, people! Name calling by adults is, well, not very adult-like, and accomplishes nothing. If a poster bothers you, just ignore their threads.

Wow.