Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
drywall scare stories

Posted by susana_2006 (My Page) on
Thu, May 21, 09 at 10:59

I've been hearing some bad stories about problems with Chinese drywall. Is this adding to the problems with new construction sales? Is this issue a reason to not buy newer homes? How long has the building industry been using Chinese drywall?

Thanks so much.
Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: drywall scare stories

There is news posted on this almost daily on www.hadd.com and www.hobb.org. I think the two sites do a good job of posting only news and potentially helpful info. From what I've read, most 'experts' (for whatever that's worth) believe it was used between about 2001 and 2008, mostly in the Southeast but it is in multiple states. So far I've not read about any houses that have it without the 'symptoms' of rotten egg (sulfur) smell. But the harm is in what the fumes from it do to metal components like wiring and HVAC systems, and possibly to people's health. I recently read on www.policyholdersofamerica.org that much of the effort to restrict lawsuits that builders fought for is coming back to haunt them. They want to sue the manufacturers and/or distributors and now may run up against some of the same limitations they sought to put on their own customers. Given that it's a Chinese product, good luck to anyone trying to recover damages from the maker of these boards. Though some govt agencies have said it's a problem, I don't know that there is any solution on the horizon. A lot of the home owners will suffer monetary loss and if there's ever anyone held accountable it may be too late to be of much help to those people. I personally am concerned that in the future i might have to watch out for this, too. I imagine a lot of people are.

o
RE: drywall scare stories

The folks stuck with the bad drywall will spend more money on attorneys trying to hold someone responsible than they would if they just tore it out and replaced it.

Attorneys earn a LOT more than drywall crews.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here