Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lethargobuild

Preping for showings

lethargo
9 years ago

Well, we've had 2 appointments for showings within 12 hours of listing. Hopefully that's good.

Now that we're ready, a couple of things:

1)Whole house speaker system on or off? If on what music should we play?

2) sandbox open or closed? Its an 8x4 with benches around, we keep a tattered blue tarp on top to keep animals out, held in place with boards.

Comments (20)

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

I would keep the music off. No sense running the risk of offending anyone with your music choice.

I'd also keep the sandbox closed.

• jewelisfabulous
    9 years ago

1) Speaker on moderately low -- light jazz.
    2) Tattered blue tarp folded and stashed away somewhere.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

3 responses, 3 opinions.

Music off. As a buyer, your music will never entice me no matter what kind it is and could distract me if I really like it or really dislike it

Go spend $10 and get a new tarp and keep the sandbox covered. Anyone with young kids will understand the reason and appreciate the effort.

• threepinktrees
    9 years ago

I normally would say music off. But since you have a whole house speaker which is a nice feature ( I'm assuming you meant it's wired in?) I would put it on with some neutral background music quietly-- like a pandora jazz station or something.

I agree lose the tattered tarp.

• sushipup1
    9 years ago

Music off, and buy a new tarp.

Music would be a distraction. Offer to have the agent demonstrate it if you think it's a feature (which many people would not care about in the first place.)

• function_first
    9 years ago

Jazz on low.

Tarp off the sandbox, but toys, etc. put away.

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

Oops. I missed the fact that it is a tattered tarp. Buy a new tarp and keep the sandbox closed.

• Adella Bedella
    9 years ago

I would leave the speakers off. Leaving them on would scream staged to me. I also don't want to hear someone else's choice in music. I think you could leave probably leave a note someplace with instructions to turn them on if you want it to get noticed.

Buy a new tarp.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    9 years ago

Music would turn me off big time.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I personally would be turned of by music. However, since it's a whole home speaker system, I'd put up a sign or include it in the info sheet.

• seww
    9 years ago

Music off. Light jazz, Kenny G., alto sax......I'd be out of there so fast the realtor wouldn't know what happened. Get a new tarp! I can't believe you even asked about that.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

I am surprised anyone would be turned off by the music to the point of leaving the house. It reminds me - and is worse in some ways - of the people who can't see past a paint color.

It is a selling point of the house, whether a sub-group of the population likes it or not. I think your average home looker, which this group is not, would either like it or at least not mind the music. I would go for classical guitar, like "Baroque Guitar" by Julian Bream.

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

I would have on light classical music because a whole house sound system is a selling point. I doubt that most people would be offended by that, I mean come on, we go to almost every single restaurant and they are playing some GOD AWFUL loud offensive music every time we go. Surely they've done their research and found that people actually like that sort of music?

Have the sand box opened for people to see what it is. Have it in a clean and orderly condition.

• Happyladi
    9 years ago

Why do people always suggest jazz? I find jazz very grating! I agree, get a new tarp.

• jewelisfabulous
    9 years ago

Because, of all music styles, jazz tends to be the least offensive/annoying to the most people. Opera, would annoy a ton of people. Country and rap, also. Classical is iffy; a dirge could drive some buyers out faster than a bad candle scent. Muzak tends to have a negative connotation (think: elevators and nursing homes). Radio talk shows like Rush Liimbaugh would be a huge mistake. "Light classical" or modern piano compositions are probably on par with jazz.

• sushipup1
    9 years ago

That's why there should not be any music playing.

• jewelisfabulous
    9 years ago

Because jazz is the least offensive to the most people?

• sushipup1
    9 years ago

Leave a note for the agent to turn it on and demonstrate. Jazz is not "least objectionable" and therefore ok.

• jewelisfabulous
    9 years ago

Ask your agent for his/her advice on these two matters. S/he has more experience showing your home and selling real estate in your area than any of us do. :)

• alisonn
    9 years ago

We left the music on very low and received positive comments. I would be impressed by a whole-house system. I think if you keep it very low and played instrumental music, it would not be distracting. If I walked in and heard, say, overtly religious or obscene lyrics, it would be distracting to me.