Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poppingrays

Would an addition of a porch be worth it?

poppingrays
13 years ago

Our home has been listed for over 18 months. We've had two realtors that both said they don't understand why our house is not selling. We are on a quiet country road, 4 bedroom 2 bath farmhouse on 5.5 acres with two outbuildings and a custom horse barn. The house is fairly plain. We did build shutters for it last summer to doll up the outside. The inside has been remodelled, it's not high dollar, but it's neat and clean. Very move-in ready.

I have always wanted to add a porch to the home, but in the last two years, knowing we wanted to sell, we never added one to the home. There are two small "stoops" with steps to front and back doors... functional, but not fashionable. I was wondering if an addition of a porch would add curb appeal and would we get our investment back?

The main reason I hesitate is because when I drive through the country, I don't see many people hanging out on their porches... Do people use porches anymore? Our climate is seasonal, nice summers and falls, cold winters, wet springs. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Comments (7)

• Billl
    13 years ago

" I was wondering if an addition of a porch would add curb appeal and would we get our investment back? "

No, you likely won't.

If your house has been on the market 18 months, then it is priced higher than anyone has been willing to offer. You should either take the place off the market until housing prices rebound or look at lowering the price to get the place sold.

• Adella Bedella
    13 years ago

I wouldn't add a porch. It would add a cost and lower the rate of return to you. I think you would be better off lowering your price. Where I live, your house and property would be a specialty property. It takes longer to find a buyer.

If you would like some possibly less expensive curb appeal ideas for your house, post some pictures. Most people on this forum would be happy to offer some suggestions.

As far as porches in general, if you like them, put one on your next house. We just built and have a nice porch on the front of our house. Everyone seems to love it. My kids go out and sit on the swing after school. They take their meals outside to eat when I let them.

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

I was wondering if an addition of a porch would add curb appeal

Probably

and would we get our investment back?

Probably not

• sylviatexas1
    13 years ago

I'd save my money & put a porch on the house I move into.

• User
    13 years ago

Take the 10-15K that you would have spent on the porch and reduce your price by that. Price reductions are more attractive than porches!

• polie
    13 years ago

Yes, cut your price instead of spending money on a porch.

• mariend
    13 years ago

I agree, no porch, but may if you don't have anything over the doors, that might help, like small roof--hard to explain. Pictures would give us ideas also. Also maybe an inexpensive gazibo next to the house, if you have a yard/trees etc. Is it easy to get into the house. My son in law built a small porch at his daughter's house, because the steps were not safe to walk on, Nothing fancy, just a very small porch, no top, but with handrails. About 4 steps. That was about a 1000.00 for the wood and cement + labor to take out the old stuff.