Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why You Hate HGTV Now!

Posted by disneyrsh (My Page) on
Thu, May 8, 08 at 9:54

I've been reading some postings about HGTV lately and I thought I'd share...

One of the problems with HGTV is about 2 years ago they brought in a programming director from VH-1. Yes, the channel that brings you Rock of Love One AND Two (because the skank the first time around broke poor Bret Michael's heart), and Shot At Love With Teela Tequila, which is so loathesome I can't even describe it here.

Evidently they felt like HGTV needed some "hipping" up. The programming director confessed that she really couldn't understand how people could be interested in following other people around as they hunted for houses. That, in a nutshell, is probably why HGTV's turning into such a waste of time for the people who can afford to do these updates, because they're NOT 20 something hipsters.

I talked with Joe Washington, who used to do Breaking Ground before they hired that 20 something moron Justin Cave (man), and he said that there was a big change with management (vh-1) and that basically everyone who was over 40 with the exception of Paul James (the gardner guy), who has seen his show moved to a ridiculous time shot, given the pink slip.

So, let HGTV know that they're not speaking to the right people with their choice of programming director, and maybe things will change...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why You Hate HGTV Now!

Disneyrsh - that is very interesting information and explains some much!!

I'm surprised they didn't take a hint from "This Old House" and other long-running and successful home shows that have a mature, (30/40 yr old and over) audience.

I suspect they saw the success of "Trading Places" and thought that was they way to go. I personally hated Trading Places (ugly, sloppy renovations), but it was a huge success at the time, because there was nothing like it on TV.

Now that the "House" genre has widened and evolved, I think direction needed is to "bump it up" a level or two in terms of sophisticiation and complexity.

All HGTV needs to do is take an indepth look at all the forums on Garden web to get a good idea of their core audience. We are savy, sophisticated folks that don't need to be spoonfed simplistic, idiotic crap by a 25 year old host-slash-wannabe-actor-model.

o

I've gotten pretty fed up with HGTV shows lately -- they're not very informative as how to actually do things, and seem to have overly talky hosts, as well as too much repetition. "Here's what we're going to show you after the break." BREAK. "Here's what we showed you before the break." Talk about filler. In a half hour show, you might get 10 minutes of actual content. I've been watching the show the whole time -- why do you need to show me what I just watched?? Thank god for Tivo and the fast forward button.

And I really want to see where and how people do the things that they do. Don't just say "We're going to install the tile floor now," and then show it finished immediately after. That's of no help to me. If you hadn't wasted 10 minutes on the stupid host babbling about NOTHING, and interviewing the home owners about their kid, their dog, showing them rollerblading, holding hands while eating an ice cream cone and strolling down a boardwalk, etc., then maybe you could actually show something of value! I'm not watching the show to learn about these people -- I want to learn some tips on how to remodel or redesign!

o

I like to watch it just for the shear craziness of it.

The other day while exercising, I was watching Designers Challenge. A couple with a "normal" looking house (maybe 2500-2800SF) spent a whopping $35,000 on a bathroom remodel. They even used up some bedroom space to do it. The got like a 5 foot shower -- who the heck needs a bathroom that big!! Of course it had the giant bathtub even though the old bathroom had one and he admitted they'd only used it four times in two years.

Some things are just way over the top on that channel. But it is fun to watch.

o

As of Oct 1, 2007, Jim Samples, formerly general manager of the Cartoon Network, became the new president of HGTV (see link below). It seems part of his mission is to "broaden the appeal of the brand" -- ie, bring in younger viewers.

I suspect that explains a lot of what has happened to the HGTV programming lineup.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ex-Cartoon Chief Samples to Head HGTV

o

HGTV seems to forget that not everyone lives in CA. There is such a thing harsh weather conditions which dramatically play a role in how one lives and what one buys for their home.

Not all of us have salvage yards or shops available.

Not everyone has the desire to destroy the inside of their home with a sledge hammer. Some of us would prefer to recycle or reuse as much as we can so as not to fill up the landfills.

EVERY home I've ever worked on I've run into some kind of unexpected problem. It amazes me how seldom it happens on their shows and how quickly when it does that they are able to deal with it.

ALMOST every special order I've ever made I've had to either wait longer than promised or I've gotten the wrong item, often multiple times before the project could be completed. I know the magic of tv BUT it'd be nice to see them deal with the time delays and some of the less than intelligent home center help the rest of us have to deal with!

Most of these shows come complete with their own wood worker, electrical wonderman and title guy. How about for a change showing the rest of us how to do some of those small job or even how to weed out a a good wood worker or tile man from a scam artist.

Lately the only kind of homes they are interested in are recent builds, cookie cutters that are builder grade or little apartments that in real life the landlord would have a cow over them nailing into the wall. ripping up carpet or even painting.

o

stir-fry, not sure if you've done any major remodeling recently,but 35k for a masterbath is not a lot of $$$, particularly if moving walls and plumbing...My recent remodel ,with no moving of plumbing/walls,etc ,really remove and replace was more then that...

o

It cost me $15k just for labor only to remodel my TINY bathroom (plus another few thousand for supplies), and all we did was redo the shower (involved a new shower pan, chicken wire and cement, and tiling), putting up a new light fixture, installing a new vanity, and painting. That was it, and we paid through the nose for labor. We even got 6 estimates, and they all came in around at that much for the labor...I find it mind-boggling; I know that the general contractor can't be paying the day laborers very much (they barely spoke English, and did sub-standard work), so they had to be pocketing a pretty penny themselves. I worked out the amount of time they spent on the job, how much we paid them, and the number of workers they had at any time, and it came out to something like $120+ an hour. I know they've got to pay insurance and make some money themselves, etc., but geez.

It's the joy of contracting out work in Southern California, I guess. That's why we do as much of it ourselves as possible -- we'll be remodeling our other bathroom ourselves, for a fraction of the cost. And probably do a better job of it, too.

That's why I enjoy home improvement shows -- they give me good ideas on how to do things ourselves (the good ones do, at any rate). One that I used to watch with some regularity was Hometime on PBS; it was a little goofy sometimes, but they actually showed what they were doing, and why.

o

Yes HGTV has changed, but so has the Food Channel, and other networks. And they will change again. It is up to us to kindly let the these and other programs know what we like and what we don't like. But then society itself is changing. No time or talent to do it ourselves like the "old" days. We want it done now and prices on building materials have gone out of sight.
As to advertising, someone has to pay for the programs and it too has gone way up. Let the companies know what you like, too much.===I did I wrote to Capitol One regarding the violence in their ads--guess they listened to someone, because they did tone it down.
Be nice, be firm, and keep it short.
It works.

o

Joe Washington is a class act. That was quite possibly one of the stupidest moves HGTV has ever done.

o

The problems with HGTV extend farther back than 2 years.

o

When I first got cable I was lovin' HGTV, before that it was only Christopher Lowell. Unfortunately, things have changed and the HGTV shows leave a lot to be desired - so does This Old House in my opinion. Not everybody has the bucks to hire out the renovations. In fact I see more and more people willing to do it themselves; hence all the Lowe's and HD stores. I too love to reuse items and I love the satisfaction of redoing rooms myself and getting exactly what I wanted. However, I admit that I never would have thought to try some of the things I've done, had I not watched them being executed on HGTV, Trading Spaces and other DYI shows. I guess they serve a purpose, I am just reading for something more.

o

I read somewhere that it doesn't matter WHAT you think of the network shows - all of them! - if you are over 54 years old. Gee, I couldn't AFFORD to buy a lot of the stuff they advertise on these shows when I was much under age 54.....but it's the young age groups that count as far as the ratings go....Now that I can afford to buy the products that are advertised on these shows, they don't care if I watch or not.

o

"They don't care if I watch or not" - Exactly! Which makes no sense if you consider that their sponsors might feel differently. I've written them a couple of times re their answers or approach to things, and they have not had the decency to respond, so it does make you wonder!

o

Yeah, I'm amazed at the fact that as I age, my buying power does nothing but go up, but my relevance to the entertainment industry does nothing but go down!

No wonder they call it La La Land....

o

While it may be true that we have more money to buy things as we age, the simple truth is that we middle-agers actually buy fewer things (and particularly household-type things) because we've already acquired most of what we need.

Twenties and especially thirties are the groups that need to equip their houses and spend more of their (smaller) incomes to do it. They're also more likely to try to save money by DIYing their fix-ups and remodels. That's why HGTV goes for this demographic.

o

Bottom line: I don't watch these shows expecting to learn anything. I watch them to be entertained.

I think there are many more in my shoes and the producers are adapting. In the past, people had to go to the library or bookstore, take classes, or con$ult an expert, to learn DIY stuff--or they could watch TV! Now, the internet makes it too easy for an impatient person like me to find out what I really want to know, and I'm not going to sit through a dry show about tiling someone else's bathroom. When I watch the idiot box, show me something dumb and entertaining, like some guy falling on a puddle of spilled grout while tiling his bathroom (just before the behind-the-scenes crew comes in and finishes it for the next scene).

o

I can speak up as being one of those seemingly "Alternate Lifestyle" people. Interesting that you could be considered alternate because you have a stable, professional 9~5 job, own your home, have a stable 10+ year relationship with someone, are non-smokers, non-druggies, non-drinkers, watch out for and help your neighbors and friends & enjoy the simple things in life. Sounds pretty average to me.

When we were buying our home we were both interested yet put off by the HGTV shows. Trading Spaces was the scariest. But like has been noted, there's really about 10 minutes of content to an HGTV show. Sadly, it'd usually not education, just entertaining.

The *old* episodes of This Old House were fairly educational and Hometime (at least used to be) very informative.

A show that I discovered last year that I liked was Holmes on Homes. It's on Discovery Home. Currently you can only see three seasons of the show in the U.S., but there are at least seven seasons going in Canada. The jist of the show was about doing things right the first time. The only downside to the show was that Mike Holmes would toot his own horn quite often. My boyfriend and I actually started to make a running joke along the lines of, "That's not how Mike Holmes would do that!"

Almost as bad as HGTV is DIY. I've watched some shows on DIY and, after seeing how many things they show *incorrectly*, I just deleted the channel from my list on the Tivo.

The internet is a great resource, though. Ironically, YouTube has a good deal of interesting clips. There's a handful of shows from Schluter, makers the Ditra tile underlayment / moisture barrier among other products, that are exactly the kind of information some of us could be looking for.

o

Oh no! Monzamess I totally disagree! I read to both be entertained and learn at the same time - but usually I'm learning about behaviors, or culture or history.
I find it very hard, almost impossible to learn how to do something, especially something spatial, from a book. Someone has to show me. Preferably while they are showing me how to do this one specific project they also point out in running commentary other scenario variables that might turn up in the same sort of project, say installing a window, or tiling. I watch a show like Reaper to be entertained. HGTV, DIY etc. are for learning! Which of course I agree they are not doing. Then there is the factor that people just don't read anymore so if you want someone to be able to maintain their home it had better be TV that does it.
I really really wish that HGTV and DIY were not heading off into the entertainment arena. I depend on them to LEARN.

AND to tie this to buying and selling homes - HGTV programs that show all the wrong way to do things (families "improving" their backyard by slapping cheap paint on an uncleaned, unprimered old fence) they are hurting the housing market in this country.
So many houses in my area are just in such crappy shape! Built in the 50s or 60s they were built decently but just so let go. No one knows how to do the simplest things any more. A guy I know that is a pilot had his father in law show him how to fix a loose doorknob! LOL!
No wonder everyone is buying new. But do you see where that is going? Its a terrible domino effect.
Houses like cheap toasters. Build one, use it up, move on. Builder puts up cheap new houses. Everyone moves in. They are cheap so they need maintaining but no one knows how - so the houses become crap, no one wants to buy them and they move on to the next new housing development. Meanwhile we move further and further out, sucking up farmland, commuting, traffic because no one wants to buy a house that requires work, or just as bad - was "fixed" by someone who didn't know what they were doing. Do I want to buy a house from someone that saw how easy painting was on HGTV? I know its going to peel in a year and be hopeless to fix. Everything is connected.

o

Redcurls and Marys1000,

Amen to that!

o

The one good thing they did in the past few years is actually showing the price of the home during House Hunters. They used to just show a realtor taking them to 3 homes and they would always buy the last one. At least now they actually show the cost and the area where they are buying.

But I agree that HGTV can be annoying and they seem to pick the most annoying people to be on it.

o

I was just going to say that House Hunters is very improved. Also - That Joe Washington show was so boring to me for two reasons: They didn't tell you the budget and they didn't tell you the location. That made it almost worthless in terms of applying it to your own yard. I stopped watching it for that reason, so I don't know if it's the same w/ the new host.

o

HGTV has become a mere shadow of what it once was. I first discovered it about 12 years ago, and it was FANTASTIC back then - all kinds of wonderful gardening shows (Gardener's Journal, Gardener's Diary, Paul James, City Gardener and the one with Susie Coehlo.) Then the wonderful and creative decorating shows - my favorite was the one with Jennifer Convy - "Awesome Interiors" - loved that show! All kinds of great "how-to" shows, very educational and entertaining as well.

Nowadays it is filled with stupid, cheaply produced "real estate" shows, and I'm sorry, but I don't enjoy a double header of "House Hunters" every night of the dadgum week! Let's have a little variety here! I hate this station now, sad to say, and it used to the only one I watched - I even preferred it to prime time network TV. And the other home channels aren't much better. Once upon a time "Fine Living" was pretty good, too.

I wonder how well they are doing these days. I think a lot of folks feel like we do.

o

Gina, I'm with you on both Michael Payne and David Bromstad ;-)

o

On a related note I read in an interview with Mario Baltali that he was leaving Food Network because they were "getting more into entertainment".
ARGH!

o

My gripe is the too-quick camera work when showing the decor. The homes or rooms are shown for only a split second, and you can't see the details.

But the camera focuses on people for minutes at a time: the home owners blabbing on & on about nothing, or the host of the show trying to be funny, or the work crew giving each other a high five clap. Zzzzzzzz....

I'm really enjoying Hidden Potential though. I love to see how Barry Wood transforms a plain jane home (or even a real dog of a home) into something stylish and functional.

o

It sounds like this category of television is ripe for a revolution. Maybe we'll all go back to watching This Old House and Hometime on YouTube. Now that the bean counters have convinced the corporate rich people that they can be richer by attracting people with teeny-bopper style programming, all while actually providing less content, I'm ready for a new channel to pop up that fills the 'quality' niche that's becoming vacant.

This is something that I'd expect the BBC or PBS to jump on. I've tried viewing more episodes of Holmes on Homes online, but don't get far.

o

I wouldn't count on it. Well over 50% of our "new" tv programming is already ripped off from Britain and if you pay attention most of our newer actor/actress' faces are Brits, Aussies or Canadians. Apparently Americans, perhaps mostly those in the entertainment business, have become hollow all form no function morons.

o

"That Joe Washington show was so boring to me for two reasons: They didn't tell you the budget and they didn't tell you the location. That made it almost worthless in terms of applying it to your own yard. I stopped watching it for that reason, so I don't know if it's the same w/ the new host."

That's easy:

1. Five figures. 50k plus if it involves a pool.

2. Atlanta

3. Yep. Same format; new idiotic host...

o

marys1000: Maybe it's a combination of our theories. Not only are the American hosts and guests hollow, all-form-no-function morons, but they cost too much. It's cheaper to purchase re-broadcast rights from a foreign 'partner' than it is to produce your own show. Back to the bean counting.

By golly, I think we're reverse-engineering the industry...or is it the country?

o

So...we aren't just outsourcing our manufacturing, we are outsourcing out entertainment industry too. Why can't I have a job like that? Where I get paid Hollywood CEO salaries for copying another countries successful programming?

o

Copycatting is what makes America so successful.

Thomas Jefferson went over to France and basically bogarted their new republic, tacked on some presbyterian church operating procedures and masonic rites, et voila, America!

I don't think I'd be able to watch HGTV now if it weren't for my TiVo. I can freeze frame and slow mo the shows and actually get to SEE the rooms. Then I can fast forward (we call it one chicken or two chicken because of the sound the tivo makes when you're fastforwarding) past the blah blah blah and the commercials to what I actually want to see.

I can get through Designed to Sell in about 15 minutes. Less if it's the DC version (blech).

o

They're not "copying" per se. They are licensing and importing. Like braytonak said - it's cheaper for one thing. Other countries copy our shows too. Ideas are fluid. And we have dozens more stations here than any other country - so every station scrambles to find the best ideas, buy shows, create shows cheaply, etc.

o

this post is over THREE YEARS old and HGTV has done nothing to respond to the complaints but done more and more of the vh-1 programming. When is ANOTHER network going to get smart and start showing USEFUL shows on their network where many of us can view them. Once HGTV looses it's viewers to another network thinks 'might' change. But if we keep watching the drivle they have put out for the past 5 years, no other network will initiate a TRUE design/remodel educational network.

o

Because HGTV needs ad revenue. Where do you think that comes from?!? Answer: Companies that sell the "holy trinity" (hardwood floors, stainless steel appliances and granite countertops). It's in their best interest to encourage everyone to do these types of projects so people spend money at HD, Lowe's and Lumber Liquidators.

PBS is the only station that would fit your model. Problem is they also rely on some corporate underwriting, due to gutting of their federal funding (and having to rely on pledges from viewers), so programs like This Old House also morph into corporate shills.

Capitalism at its finest. Except it's rotting our collective brains - and homogenizing our landscape.

o

Its something how much I am in agreement with the posters here.
And I am 15 over 55.
PBS
CSpan
PCN
I would like to watch Better Homes....TV, but it is done so poorly, its educational value is not 0.0, but 1.1 ( out of 10..)
Oh well, there is always channel surfing.
And politics, the conservatives probably hate PBS.

o

"A show that I discovered last year that I liked was Holmes on Homes. It's on Discovery Home. Currently you can only see three seasons of the show in the U.S., but there are at least seven seasons going in Canada. The jist of the show was about doing things right the first time."

I watch Holmes on Homes whenever I can. I also like to watch House hunter International.

If they take these off the air, that will just give me an excuse to spend more time on the computer!

o

I'm jumping on this old thread to say - I wonder why HGTV hires a color blind "Design Expert"? Sabrina Soto apparently can see only gray, with black furniture. The one and only time I have ever seen her use any other color was once when she spray painted the dead grass with green paint!

o

scarlett2001...gray is a very safe neutral which tends to work better than most colors with just about all decor and looks very contemporary at the same time.

Most of the furniture she adds to the home is espresso..not black...and espresso is not only very popular right now but also easy to find in nice looking inexpensive pieces at Target etc. As budget is always a major consideration in staging, the choice gives the biggest bang for the buck.

Last I heard she calls herself an "Expert in home staging". That said, one does not stage a home for sale the same way one would design the interior for a home owner.

However, is she hosting a design show now? If so, I have not yet seen it...when does it air?

o

When a designer uses gray - or any other color - exclusively, it comes across as very limited. And the difference between black and espresso is not all that great. If you have seen Get it Sold once, you have seen her entire repertoire of decorating skills. One size does not fit all.

o

"One size does not fit all."

In interior design...correct. In appealing to the masses for the most minimal expenditure...incorrect.

Home staging and interior design are two totally separate functions.

Last but not least...you DO realize that these shows are supposed to get the viewer to watch in order to learn what they could do on their own to stage their home for sale...don't you?

That said, as most people don't have a lot of color sense and/or design talent, the KISS rule applies.

o

What happened to all the design shows? I have been watching HGTV since the late 90's and it was all I used to watch. Now with all the House Hunter shows being on 85% of the time I very seldom watch. I find House Hunters such an uninteresting show and OMG House Hunters International can cure the worst case of insomnia. Plus there are tons of re-runs of House Hunters. I basically peruse blogs and websites for my design fix and to get home interior ideas. Its sad that this channel has become so different but I guess they're chasing the mighty dollar, apparently someone likes the new format change because doesn't seem like they plan on changing anytime soon. I for one am no longer a fan!

o

First of all, I don't know why its called Home & Garden! No gardening shows like years ago. I don't like the Holmes show or the House Hunting International.

The shows do not deal with the realities of selling/buying in this market.

I rarely watch anymore.

Jane

o

"First of all, I don't know why its called Home & Garden! No gardening shows like years ago. I don't like the Holmes show or the House Hunting International.

The shows do not deal with the realities of selling/buying in this market."

I guess that all depends on what market your talking about.

o

"The shows do not deal with the realities of selling/buying in this market. "

What "realities" would that be?

o

I love HGTV. We were building a home the last year or so and shows like Holmes on Homes help us to learn about the shortcuts that builders might take. I wish they had more Gardening shows. They have almost none.

o

"What "realities" would that be?"

Difficulty selling, dropping housing value, short sales, foreclosures. Dealing with banks who don't want to loan money, trying to buy a house which is underwater and the owners walked away...

I could go on and on.

Obviously, you haven't been buying or selling in the last two years.

Jane

o

samanddrew: "I want to see fabulous interiors that are better than what I have at home and require me to use my imagination and give me something to aspire to."

Both Candace Olson (Candace Tells All & Divine Design) and "Sarah" of Sarah's House and Design Inc. do just that....as do most if not all of the designers on "Designers Challenge".

o

"'I want to see fabulous interiors that are better than what I have at home and require me to use my imagination and give me something to aspire to.'

Both Candace Olson (Candace Tells All & Divine Design) and "Sarah" of Sarah's House and Design Inc."

Neither Candace Olson nor Sarah of Sarah's House have or show what I would consider fabulous interiors, not by a long stretch.

o

What designers work do you consider to be fabulous? I ask only because of the "not by a long stretch" comment. I would love to see some examples of work that far surpasses those mentioned.

o

You didn't ask me, but my vote is for Charles Faudree, the late Mark Hampton, Bunny Williams or designers with that kind of style. Their types of interiors is the kind I would like to see.

o

Thanks samanddrew. While I agree that they are/were extremely talented designers, their style (primarily heavy traditional) is not one that has tremendous current mass appeal, as it is for the most part a style that has fallen out of favor to some degree over the last few years.
And as HGTV's bread and butter is all about appealing to the lions share of the population, the Candace Olson's are the safer bet.

IMO, if Mark Hampton was still alive today, I doubt if his style would be the
same, as he was known for his ability to design for the times.

That said, I see it simply as a different style, taste specific, but no more or
no less fabulous than many of the projects of the designers whom I mentioned.

o

"You didn't ask me, but my vote is for Charles Faudree, the late Mark Hampton, Bunny Williams or designers with that kind of style. Their types of interiors is the kind I would like to see."

Yes, their interiors are one type of "fabulous" interiors. As logic says, traditional seems to be a good word to use in their case. Other designers who come to mind are Michael Smith, John Saladino, John Stefanidis...I'm sure there are many, many others whose work I admire when I see it in books or magazines, but I'd have to look through some of those for people's names.

logic, I just finished looking online at some of Candice Olson's interiors. They are quite a bit nicer than I remember from the times I've seen her show, so I'll revise my criticism. [envision sheepish smiley face here] But I still don't think they're fabulous.... They are, in my opinion, very ... nice.

I think one way in which you and I seem to differ is on the implication of your observation that "[the] style [of the people named by samandrew] (primarily heavy traditional) is not one that has tremendous current mass appeal, as it is for the most part a style that has fallen out of favor to some degree over the last few years." If I read that correctly, you're saying fabulous style is style that appeals to the masses if you will. I'll argue that it's style that, in time, trickles down to the masses after having been first shown in the more well-known shelter magazines, then maybe having been adapted by some higher-end manufacturers of furniture, appliances, etc., then having been taken up by mass merchants like Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware or whatever (plus all the many other places I've forgotten to mention or don't know about) and then enters stores like Target, etc. (I'm sure I've got the timeline wrong, since interior design/decoration is something I have only a passing familiarity with, but those steps are some that come to mind.)

That reminds me, there are also designers with a contemporary style, like Barbara Barry, Rose Tarlow, and so on. And there is also Axel Vervoordt, whose very amazingly fabulous aesthetic, from what I can tell, seems to have been adopted (adapted?) by Restoration Hardware, and poorly, too.

BTW I stopped by an open house yesterday on my way home from running errands. This house, an older ranch, apparently is very aggressively priced to sell, with a new, lower price of just under $500K. The house has been staged, and, while not my taste at all, has been down very well in the HGTV/Pottery Barn style. The place looks good. Much of the furniture is the owner's, although there seem to have been smaller things (lamps, accessories, some small tables and the dining room set) that might be newer and could even have been bought at Pottery Barn. They worked well with the house & existing stuff, including paint, tiles, etc.

o

"Difficulty selling, dropping housing value, short sales, foreclosures. Dealing with banks who don't want to loan money, trying to buy a house which is underwater and the owners walked away...

I could go on and on.

Obviously, you haven't been buying or selling in the last two years. "

Obviously, you are assuming that those problems are everywhere in force and worthy of TV shows.

o

lynxe, of the designers whom you referenced, I'd say that Barbara Barry and Candice Olson are pretty much on the same page. Rose Tarlow...not so much, and I find much of her work a bit mundane. Axel Vervoordt, Michael Smith, John Saladino and John Stefanidis all do very well blending tradition and contemporary that result in lovely interiors, but IMO, pretty much all on the same level as Candice and Sarah.

It is indeed true that new directions in design generally start with the top designers...as their clients are usually those who are wealthy enough to change out their interiors for a whole new style far more frequently than most people...and are motivated by their desire to be trend setting in order to not have space that has a "dime a dozen" look.

And, indeed there is the trickle down effect. However, most of what one can see in the work of these designers has already trickled down quite a bit...e.g. the formal chandelier/mirrors/window treatment combination with casual furnishings.

If Manhattan real estate is any indication, the high end designers used by developers of multi million dollar properties seem to be having a love affair with very modern decor.

That said, IMO, it does not take all that much talent or vision to create great space when one's budget is very sizable.

The true test of talent is creating wonderful space on a budget....which I think Sarah Richardson does very well. Candice I can't say...as there is never a discussion about budget on her shows.

o

The overuse of the word "space". Its disgusting. People just dont talk that way. Its so phony. Then you get two poverty stricken peole buying a 500,000 cottage in France with neither having a job. One is an x dancer and the other a grease monkey.

o

What? That space really works! What efficient use of that space! That space just pops! OK, now I'm just being childish ;-) I can't say I've noticed that word being overused or disgusting.

Does "x dancer" = "exotic dancer"?

o

All I know is I'm sick of House Hunters and I HATE House Hunters International.

o

Patricia, I'm annoyed at the constant use of the word, "space," too. It's a room! And why do they call a regular tub a "soaking tub?," as in, "And the bath space has a soaking tub, too!"

o

What bugs me (and I hear it a lot on House Hunters) is "this is the dining room area" or "this is the kitchen area". So is it a dining room or not?
And I LOVE House Hunters International. I tend to not watch shows that I hate.

o

How about the over use of the words "spacious" and "clean"...the clean referring to the design, not the cleanliness.

Also,the expression, "I'm excited for" as opposed to "I'm excited to" is a big favorite, on HGTV as well as other shows.

Also, notice how EVEY buyer does LOTS of entertaining which pretty much drives their declension making process.

o

With all of our comments and suggestions. Its a shame some TV exec somewhere doesn't, get the message that we are tired of real estate shows and contractor remodeling. Most of us are lucky to pay our mortgage or rent each month.We need fun realistic shows for a varied demographic.Someone in TV hear us !

o

Have you ever seen them call the alarm on a nice kitchen that doesn't have all the newest trends? It is like OMG we need to fix this quick! This usually entails gutting a kitchen. Next they may put in white subway tiles with black grout, and red appliances that will give some oomph to their grey granite counter.

I can't help but watch.........

o

Re: House Hunters

If I see one more childless couple walk into a 3,000 sq ft house and say "It's so small" I'm gonna wrap my head with duct tape to keep it from exploding!

o

While I *like* the Property Brothers, I'm getting sick of it! And that love it or list it, why not just forget it! They need to bring back real decorating shows where the premise *is* decorating, not remodeling~that's not the same.

It's not the young people who watch HGTV anyway. They're too busy watching shows like Naked and Afraid and other such stupid shows. I'd say it's the 40's and up age group that is more interested in home/decorating type shows .

o

Notice when this thread was started. 2008! HGTV has only gotten worse.

Who exactly are they targeting? It would be interesting to know.

I think it is too late to fix. After all these years they still ignore the message from people like us. Apparently they don't care. I rarely turn on the network.

o

If you need to relax QUICKLY after a hard day just play the HGTV Cliches Drinking Game. Every time you hear one of these catch phrases, take a swallow:

Granite counter tops
Stainless steel appliances
High end appliances--especially gas stove and/or double ovens
Open concept
Move in ready
Dream Home
Large backyard
We entertain a LOT, we do a lot of entertaining etc.
Double sinks, Jack and Jill bath
En suite

Take two drinks for:
Displays of disgust and contempt--Paint color, Laminate flooring, carpet, laminate counter tops, electric range, pedestal sink, white appliances, ONE sink in a large bathroom, master bedroom with no en suite, any space where parents must actually supervise their children when playing, any home that is not a "Dream Home" even if it is a first home and the buyer is 21 years old.

Disclaimer (read really fast): Not responsible for vomiting, bed spins, memory loss, brain cell reduction, or embarrassing behavior. HGTV Cliches Drinking Game may result in impaired judgment, alcohol poisoning, hospital stay, and irrational anger. Do not play in the event you may work the following day. Do not drive or operate heavy machinery when playing.

o

Whatever happened to the G in HGTV. Years ago they had good garden shows -- that is part of a home after all. Now, nothing worth watching.

The home-remodeling/buying shows are all so formulated that they are totally boring.

o

Funny, Mmmmmbeer! Also, take a swallow whenever one of the buyers says that the football field sized master is "too small". And, other gulp when the wife jokes that the closet is only big enough for her clothes so the hubs get a 1' section only.

o

The other day I came across the funny piece below, great timing as this discussion is resurrected!

Here is a link that might be useful: Thoughts While Watching House Hunters

o

They won't listen because the ratings went up. Go figure. I turn it on when I am sorting laundry, because 5-10 minutes later I can turn it off without caring what happens during the rest of the show.

I also turn on the construction shows when I am doing DIY projects indoors for background noise. It sounds as if I have a crew working nearby rather than the reality of being stuck remodeling the en suite solo. And if I drop my paintbrush the neighbors think someone must have busted a pipe on the show.

o

I dont mind watching many of the shows, as long as it is only one 30 minute show, but, I sure would like to know why every show has to be a marathon of the same show, that lasts for hours. It is very boring, to see the same show listed for hours and hours and hours.

o

Costs.
The shows are old shows and the network knows nobody's watching. So they run a marathon to fill the empty schedule.

o

drinking game -- funny!

They're obviously not listening to us -- we should start bombarding their advertisers.

I do like Property Brothers because at least they take crap older homes and bring out their potential, even if that kind of thing isn't very easy in real life. Anybody ever try to get a 203K remodeling loan? ha!

My wish would be for HGTV and DIY to actually have useful DIY step by step projects, instead of "wave of the hand" projects no one can reproduce.

o

This obsession with marathons on channels like HGTV made me lose interest. Soooo boring.

I cut the cord and now have an antenna for free OTA TV. Why pay $100+ a month for crap TV

o

I grew up with 3 channels. CBS, NBC, and ABC. And you actually had to get up and change the channel by turning the "dial" on the TV.

And everyone said "Don't touch that dial".

Three channels and there was "nothing on". Today I have 230 channels and still there's "nothing on".

o

But there was good TV back then... Ultra Man, Speed Racer, Looney Tunes, Flintstones...

o

No, this was The $64,000 Question, Howdy Doody, Name That Tune, etc.

o

Number one, I hate the fact that they only are using super young and "pretty" home owners on their shows lately.
The 2 girls they picked last night for Yard Crashers and Kitchen Crashers, I swear, looked like they were still in high school!

Not only that, the first girl wore tight shorts and a tight sleeveless top that showed her cleavage, as she bounced around the yard high-fiving with her perky bouncy high pony-tail!

I am in my middle thirties, and am being made to feel I am too "old" for these home shows, which is ridiculous. One would think I would be right in their target market age group!

Why do they seem to be going after the MTV crowd? Oh - probably because of that new jerk they hired who wants to "attract young people." This is what all of TV is coming to (except for those classic movie channels)!

Secondly, their hosts on Hgtv are way too loud and hyper! What's with all the stupid high-fiving, anyway? It's all so irritating and stressful to watch!

After last night's shows (which I think raised my blood pressure 20 points) I don't think I'll be watching Hgtv again - however, they don't care, like you said. They only want the cool twenty somethings (or teen somethings) anyway.

o

Also...just another thought (sorry about the double post)...if HGTV is indeed going after a "younger and hipper" crowd....why is it when my husband and I shop at Home Depot and Lowes, we see people of ALL ages shopping there and buying things...that includes middle age and (gasp) older people!

In fact, I observe much more 35 and over people shopping in these home centers than young twenty somethings, which HGTV is constantly featuring on their shows. Excuse me, young highly attractive twenty somethings - which, if you ask me, is the group they're going after and it's just plain stupid!

(Because really, who wants to watch an overweight couple with big noses looking at houses, right? Note sarcasm...)

I admit some of their older shows were a bit boring and dry - but there has to be a happy medium between those and the total fake boring garbage they're airing now.

Somehow we should all assemble and take back our HGTV!!!!!

o

They have the "kids" on the shows because that's the demographic that buys the sponsor's products. Once people hit their mid thirties they become attached to the brands they've been buying, and chances are they're not gonna change.

That's why beer commercials are populated by people who are barely 21 years old having an absolutely great time drinking Veeblefetzer Beer. Girls in bikinis throwing the beach ball around on an empty beach. Or gathered in the yard of some $300,000 house nobody in that age group can afford.

That's because by the time they're in their mid to late twenties, they're buying Budweiser like everybody else.

o

The shows are embarrassing. The homeowners are clueless, the buyers classless, and the cheap updates are tacky. Hgtv has outlived its usefulness.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here