Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisonn_gw

Add a closet?

alisonn
9 years ago

Oh, here we still are. We are trying to sell a 3-bedroom house built in the 1970's. That is code for small bathrooms and small bedrooms. All the comments have been about the master bedroom being too small (16x11) -- I think it's mostly because it has the era-standard sliding door closet (considered a double closet at the time). My husband has always used a closet in one of the other bedrooms, since we have no kids.

There is an area where we could add (my husband could do the work, so it's not an expensive improvement) a closet. Currently, this is the only place to put a second chest of drawers. Because it would be floor to ceiling with shelving as well as hanging space, it could conceivably take the place of a second dresser. This closet would be about 3.5 to 4 feet wide.

Opinions: Would it turn you off to not be able to have a second dresser in the bedroom or would it be more of a plus to have a roomy second closet?

Comments (18)

• jewelisfabulous
    9 years ago

Are you thinking about putting a closet system into your existing master closet or taking space away from the 16'x11' room to create a second closet?

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Draw it out. Then we'll comment. My answer has to do with what else is around and "traffic" patterns.

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

If your husband can make the closet well, I don't think it would be a "turn off" necessarily. That is going to take a lot of space from the room. Will there be a door to consider - that will matter in the way the room can be furnished.

We have the same set up in our old home, and I would not want to add a closet in our tiny bedroom.

• alisonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Whew! Just drew it on the computer and I am worn out! Here is the finished and very amateur, 1st time drawing. The area in question is at the bottom, as you enter the room from the left. There is enough room for the door to swing entirely open into the room without hitting the dresser you see in that area--I would say (since I'm sitting at the other house) that the dresser there is about 40 inches wide, so it would be wider than a single closet, but not as wide as a double closet.

• alisonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just to clear up any confusion, the double closet is located right, top. The double doors on the left side are french doors to the patio and the single door on the left on the bottom wall goes to the master bathroom.

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

??? Interesting door placement in that room. So the new closet will be where the dark rectangle is, next to the door to the entrance to the room? I think it could work :)

This post was edited by sasafras on Thu, May 29, 14 at 19:32

• alisonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The door is sideways--the opening is where the hole in the wall is. I couldn't figure out how to turn any of the doors.

• persnicketydesign
    9 years ago

If you put a closet there will you still be able to get furniture in the room? Looks like it might make that angle really tight.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

Think to why you bought the house in the first place. There are buyers who may want it for the same reason.

And remember that when people comment that there is not enough space (or storage) they may be saying that there is not enough space (or storage) for the price you are asking. Are you priced correctly?

If you moved the bed to the outside wall, next to the french doors, would there be enough room for a dresser in the space where you now have the bed?

Good luck

ML

• mjlb
    9 years ago

Do you mean that you will add a new entry opposite the french doors to the patio?

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

This is a tricky one, given that there aren't dimensions. I'm inclined to say "no", don't do it. *because...

-that really tightens up the space of the "entry" into the room--for furniture movement, etc.

However, is it roomy now? (usually closets are deeper than dressers. And, a dresser is probably more efficient of use of space than a closet with 4" walls).

Is it easy to move furniture in or out of the french doors?

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

My question would be is the effort that would go into creating this closet likely to sell the house? Is it enough or could it also possibly limit other buyers?

• alisonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

When we bought the house, the huge family room addition and terrific property outweighed the small bedrooms--we figured that the very large public space was more important than having spacious bedrooms. So, buyers are now saying "We like the family room and the lot, but the bedrooms are too small." Our new house also has a smaller MBR, but it has two closets, so I consider it a bit of an upgrade.

I did the measuring and, if I go with a standard, 24" depth closet, it can be 48" wide and still have good access to the room.

The realtor was right on with a house we sold last year--we got close to asking price, even though I was concerned it was overpriced. We have dropped the price of this house $25,000 from the (same) realtor's recommended price and, judging from comps, this is a realistic price. Then again, I'm a believer that if it is the "right" price, it should sell.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Can you make the rooms appear more spacious? Smaller bed? fewer dressers? fewer bookshelves?

Did the house have furniture when you bought it, or did you buy it/see it empty?

• Debbie Downer
    9 years ago

Doesnt make sense - where is the door to the hallway or rest of the house - bottom right? Does it really swing out into the hallway? That's very odd/unusual.

I really dont like the idea of taking away room and chopping up rooms into smaller rooms. My PO did a lot of that and its been a PITA to put the house back to its original more open and airy layout. If additional closet space is needed, think armoire or moveable wardrobe, or a modular Ikea type closet system (takes up less space than a closet with 4 inch walls.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I think if your dimensions are right that it will close off the entry to the room too much.

I assume this is probably a "no", but is there a chance to change the doorway into the room to be higher up on the wall and take that whole little entry alcove to be a closet?

Another thing you could try is "stage" an adjacent bedroom to be an obvious dressing room with a vanity, drawers, maybe even a nice clothes rack.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

If the feedback you're receiving is that the bedroom is too small, then why not change the decor so it doesn't seem as small? Maybe the strategic placement of a mirror, perhaps. To me, the room seems pretty big -- it's the same size as our living room, perhaps a big larger ;-) But if no one is commenting on storage, only the lack of size, I'm not sure how a closet would ameliorate the issue.

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

Because the OP said: All the comments have been about the master bedroom being too small (16x11) - I think a new closet is not the best idea. I still think it could work, but it won't be a "selling" point. Do clean out the existing closet so it looks like there is plenty of room in there.