Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jules8_gw

Laundry room unfinished

jules8
9 years ago

I will be selling in a few years and wonder if my unfinished laundry room will be a detriment to the sale. It is an end-unit townhouse in a DC suburb. homes range from $350k-$390k. the house has 3 levels and the laundry room is in the basement. the rest of the basement is finished, but the laundry room is not. also in the laundry room is the water heater, heat pump and a shelving unit. it has a cement floor that has a few stains and small cracks.

the rest of the house is in very good shape. new windows, refinished kitchen and baths. I will be installing wood floors throughout.

does anyone have any opinions on what buyer expectations may be? what does your laundry room look like? since it is in the basement with a door to close, will buyers care that it is unfinished.

my preference is to paint/seal the cement and make it clean & neat. will that be enough? I would imagine that it would cost at least $10k to finish. is it worth it to finish?

Thanks everyone!

Comments (5)

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

Do others units in your complex have unfinished laundry rooms?

My laundry is in the basement. Half the basement is finished as a playroom. But my laundry is in the unfinished half along with furnace and hot water heater. I've painted all the cement walls, I have an old area rug on the floor that covers 90% of the floor, and I've lined the walls with stainless steel shelving so all my storage is neat - tools, holiday decorations, etc. I also have an old laminate table nearby for folding. So even though that half of the basement is unfinished, it is neat and clean. (Or I can make it neat with a little notice!)

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

I don't think you need to finish a basement laundry room. Just make it neat and clean.

• nancylouise5me
    9 years ago

No, the majority of people will not care if the laundry room is not finished. It's in the basement with other utilities. It doesn't need to be finished. Paint if you choose to and if it will make you feel better. As long as you keep it nice and tidy that is fine. It's the tri-level that I would be worried about. All those stairs to climb everyday! NancyLouise

• jules8
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks everyone!

• 3katz4me
    9 years ago

Mine is like yours and that's the way it will stay even when I sell. I did put a nice commercial carpet remnant on the floor (vs. bare concrete) and that makes it much more palatable to me.