Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does my roof inspector do the job right?

Posted by honestguy408 (My Page) on
Sun, May 18, 14 at 6:06

My sister has bought a house and ordered a roof inspection. The roof inspector had come and left very quick, then sent us a roof inspection report via email. His report does not mention anything about the opening at the chimney flashing, which stated in the property inspection report, with photos attached as proof, that the seller provided. We contact the roof inspector and expressed that we are disappointed on the fact that he has not mentioned about "the opening at the chimney flashing" and we want him to re-inspect the roof. He insists that "the opening at the chimney flashing" is a minor issue and he does not think it needed to be fixed and refuses to re-inspect the roof. I think that openings at chimney flashing allows rain and moisture intrusion and would damage the ceiling and is a serious problem.

Do you think the roof inspector does the job right?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does my roof inspector do the job right?

He ripped you off.

Did he even go up on the roof?

A good inspector would give a complete written report on his letterhead stating the condition of the roof in general and the life expectancy before replacement.

Any irregularities like the flashing issue would be in that report including what repairs are necessary.

o

I don't know if he did walk on the roof to do the roof inspection. I was surprised by the fact that he insisted that openings at chimney flashing is a minor issue and he does not think it needs to be fixed. Problems that have potential of causing any damage to the house are serious issue, not minor, and should be repaired. I think he is an irresponsible roof inspector that tried to defend himself by giving an uneducated and unconvincing argument. Am I wrong?

o

Nope.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here