Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rachel_parker4941

Which house would stand out more?

Rachel Parker
16 years ago

Let me start by saying that I just posted this on Building a Home and just want more opinions because we have to pick the color tomorrow (I know we just can't decide):

My husband and I have been battling out over the color of the new house that we are building. We like either the medium tan/khaki brown with black shutters or the yellow/cream with black shutter(this yellow house has green shutters but we want black). What would stand out more? We want opinions, can't change the design just the color.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm135/parkejo_album/Augusta_Taupe.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm135/parkejo_album/Augusta_Yellow.jpg

Maybe someone could help me post them. I can only figure out how to paste the links.

Comments (30)

• Adella Bedella
    16 years ago

I'd go with the yellow because it's a happy color.

• ladynimue
    16 years ago

I also prefer the yellow. It's brighter and friendlier. The khaki looks gloomy (but also looks more formal).

To be fair, on my monitor both house colors look washed out and blah - the yellow appears to be a light tan-cream color and the khaki brown/tan looks gray. I might not be seeing the true colors.

• Rachel Parker
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The picture we took of the yellow house really didn't turn out as well as the other. It doesn't do it justice. I am leaning toward the khaki brown because it looks more distinct and the houses on either side of us are stucco and stone in a light yellow hue and the other house is a little more orangish=yellow.

• twenty9butrflies
    16 years ago

I think the khaki with black shutters would add a little more "pop" to your home...

• marys1000
    16 years ago

The yellow makes the house look more farm/country/homey. The Khaki is more formal. I'm not a formal person but I like the khaki. I think it fits in with the subdivision better.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Our preference is a gray stone face with either gray or green siding. On a house like yours, the green siding (if it's an option) looks awesome. I wouldn't go with tan or yellow as it's what everyone in our development picked.

I'll have to see if I can find a picture of the sage green between the stucco, tan & yellow houses. Not sure if I have any.

Beautiful looking house.

• Rachel Parker
    Original Author
    16 years ago

roselvr,
    They don't have the green as an option. When we were looking at the colors of the siding, Hardiplank, the green was appealing.

• xamsx
    16 years ago

Look at the houses around you. If they are all yellow, go khaki. If they are all khaki, choose yellow. And if those two are the predominate colors on your street find a different combo to make your house stand out.

• jojoco
    16 years ago

I vote yellow, but then again, I am a yellow kind of gal, I guess. Here is mine and why I love yellow:

Jo

• disneyrsh
    16 years ago

I also really like yellow, but I think based on your neighbors that the taupe would fit better; your neighbors are kind of upscale/contemporary looking and the taupe is more along those lines. I agree with a PP that the yellow is a friendlier, country type feeling, which I like but I don't think necessarily fits there.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

roselvr,
    They don't have the green as an option. When we were looking at the colors of the siding, Hardiplank, the green was appealing.

I looked, I don't have pictures of the sage. If we get down there I will have to take some. Shame they don't offer it. If you saw what it looked like on the houses around me, you would go with sage. It's such a beautiful color in between the yellows and tans, and especially looks great with the houses that have porches. If they do offer the sage at a cost, it might be worth it to spend the money on the sage.

I agree with Disney and like the tan. I think that what you choose for the windows, doors will be what makes yours stand out. You have a lot of options later on if you want to do paver stones with the tan verses yellow.

Are they using the Hardiplank?

• nonchalant
    16 years ago

I like yellow, but personally think the tan with black shutters looks better. (Although, I agree with the comment that you should look at what's next to you and on your block. Are those the only options? Or the only ones you like?)

(And jojoco, you have a beautiful home!!!)

• chisue
    16 years ago

If the black shutters are non-negotiable, I think yellow is out. See how pretty the white trim is with the yellow? Another factor may be climate. I like pastel houses in warm climates, but they can look misplaced when there's a foot of snow on the ground.

I'm a little surprised that a subdivision would permit so many houses all the same color although I've seen some where ALL the houses have the same siding and roof.

• jojoco
    16 years ago

Here is mine with several feet of snow. I don't think it really washes out in the snow, but the white trim does get lost.

Jo

• cpowers21
    16 years ago

I would also go khaki. Not only because it will stand out more between your neighbors, but the darker color tends to hide dirt a little better.

• gingerhill
    16 years ago

I like the taupe. It's a nice contrast with the white moldings, railings and columns.

• Rachel Parker
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We went today to decide on the color. The name of the yellow color we like is discontinued. We are trying to match it with what colors they have available. Yes it is hardiplank. We have our choice of white, yellow, tan of different shades, and gray. The two above our are top choices. I found that sailcloth was the most similar to the yellow in the picture. I went up to the yellow house in the neighborhood and talked with the owner. I didn't want to just walk up and compare her siding. Here are the houses in front of us on the same street. The street loops around a small lake so there are very different houses on it, mostly formal looking. There are houses throughout are neighborhood just like ours though, you can see in some pictures behind where we are building between the existing neighbors.

• jojoco
    16 years ago

As I remember, Sailcloth was a warm creamy off white. Our yellow, is actually called woodland cream.
    Pretty neighborhood, btw.
    Jo

• sparksals
    16 years ago

I'd go for the tan. From all the photos you've posted, yellow seems very out of place with the rest of the neighbourhood.

• Rachel Parker
    Original Author
    16 years ago

How does the yellow house look with the black shutters? Does it make it look any better?

Okay and then we took a picture of a house with the actual Sailcloth hardiplank.

My husband likes the yellow more so I am trying to accomodate since I get a new house to have fun with decorating on the inside so please help. And I tried to paste each house into the picture with the neighbors house but couldn't. Does any one know how to do that too?

• CaroleOH
    16 years ago

I don't like the black shutters with the yellow. If you went with a more gold/beige then the black would look better.

I think the taupe looks best in the neighborhood and with the black shutters. The pictures you've posted of the neighborhood look mostly to be in the natural earth tones in stucco/stone/brick. I think the taupe would look best next to your neighbors. The yellow is pretty, but I think it would make your house stick out and look very different from your neighbors. I'm actually surprised they allowed that light of a yellow with the colors that are in the developement. Usually, they're more restrictive to keep the tones more in sync.

It looks like a lovely house - I love the hardiplank siding.

• CaroleOH
    16 years ago

I have to add another post as I've driven by a couple of houses that were yellow with black shutters. I have to say they were quite pretty! One that I particularly liked had cream colored trim - one or two shades lighter than the yellow siding as the trim with then black shutters and it was very nice.

So, I guess my point is either one will look nice, you just have to decide!

• Rachel Parker
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We chose to do a yellow hardiplank, navajo beige. It has more brown tones but still very creamy yellow. In the neighborbood we are building there are so many tan colored homes, a few yellow. We wanted to stand out a little and ours will be a bright house on the street.

• hittlets
    16 years ago

I like the darker taupe. I think the shade/hue of yellow would get dirty easier and appear dingy.

• bmrbabe
    16 years ago

Parkego, I like your choice. The other houses look drab to me, and the yellow is perky without being glaring. I could see it with medium brown shutters and trim. Is that an option?

• Rachel Parker
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We have to go with white trim but have the color option of shutters. I liked either black or dark green. It was a pain to find a yellow that I liked, not too pale but not too glaring. We drove around neighborhoods trying to find the right shade. We had to choose a color from James Hardie so it was limited to 2 yellows, sailcloth and navajo beige.

• User
    16 years ago

Taupe siding, white trim, black shutters...and you can plant beautiful red geraniums in pots all around the front.

I agree with a previous poster who said the yellow would get dirty/dingy sooner. Anyway, the taupe/white/black is crisper-looking.

• fireberd350
    11 years ago

Anyone have any info on the color of the brown siding? Thanks!

• Rachel Parker
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I believe that is Khaki Brown. It is a Hardi Plank color.