Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aries61

Preparing house for sale in near future

aries61
13 years ago

Probably will be selling my house somewhere in the near future and want to start preparing soon. The house was gutted and added on in 1992/1993.

My question is for those who have sold or currently are selling, what did you do to your house before putting up for sale? I had a seepage issue that I recently corrected since I knew that it would definitely impact a future sale.

I'm going to start repainting most of the rooms since they have not been painted since the gut/add on. Should I think about replacing light fixtures, faucets and door handles? Currently all of them are polished brass. I don't mind putting some money in the house either.

Looking for suggestions. Also, the house has only been occupied by myself so some of the rooms have never been used including the black and white hall bathroom.

The link shows some pictures of the house taken a while back. Since the picture of the front of the house was taken, the large tree in front of the bay window has been taken down and the front was recently landscaped.

Here is a link that might be useful: House pictures

Comments (6)

• larke
    13 years ago

Oh, it looks terrific - I'm jealous! If you really can afford a little work, I would look at changing the black wall to match the others around it though. I was going to caution you against clutter, but there obviously is none, though warming it up a bit with 1-2 plants, sofa pillows, the odd picture on the wall, etc. is a good idea, as would be leaving at least a couple (not a 'lot') of furniture pieces in each room to enhance proportions, vs an empty room which always looks smaller, is also smart. Seems a shame the big tree is gone, but maybe there was a good reason, of course. As far as paint goes, light neutrals seem to be the name of the game now, preferably the same one flowing through rooms that attach visually, and if the bath fixtures are outdated, then I'd replace them with newer ones, but again, very neutral types that don't express a particular personal style so much as just reflect today's standard one. If you just walk around and see that individual areas look tired, even after painting, then consider what might be the cause of that, but don't go all out spending a lot because people do want 'blank canvases' rather than thinking about how much it'll cost to undo your taste and then put their stamp on it. I like the other bathroom, and even the floor of the one with the black wall, but that's me... Have you considered getting it personally staged (the whole house, I mean :-)? Not suggesting that it's the best idea in the end, but something to think about Sometimes they overdo it and simplicity works better for me.

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

Whatever you do don't paint the walls white. It makes a home feel cold and unwelcoming.

• bjandtom
    13 years ago

Here's what we did to prepare for selling our house, it sold (well pending settlement April 30th) in about 2 weeks from listing date. Of course we would have like a higher selling price but hey in this economy, one has to move on. We had different suggestions by agents but since I'm an artist and the house was "customized" we were only going to change a few things.

A few rooms needed repainting and new carpet, so we did those in neutrals. I retouched the painted trim, windows, doors, etc. where needed. I tore down my studio to make it look like liveable area, put much in a storeage unit. Took lots of art items off the wall but left a few for warmth. We have maintained the house over the years, so no major repair issues. We had a handy person and electrician make some minor repairs. Decluttered and spring cleaned. We had taken pictures in the spring and summer last year, so many of those were used in the literature. We had about 6 showings, then we got this offer and decided to move on as we are in the process of building a custom home. There are two houses down the road that have been for sale for probably close to a year now, priced higher, for similar, than ours. Crossing fingers that something doesn't crop up between now and settlement on Friday.

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

aries -
    My BIL and a neighbor, both long-time realtors, agree that FIXED and CLEAN sells.

1 - clean every inch of the house, corners, window tracks, etc. Get rid of as much stuff as possible.

2 - fix any leaking faucets, replace any less than great light switches, consider replacing any really dated fixtures with well-styled ones from a decent brand. Replace those faucets with the clear plastic handles, for example, or light fixtures with discolored shades.

I spent $50 on 3 small lights for the hallways, $88 each for new faucets, and $50 each for new sinks (4 basins) to get rid of aged faucets and rusting steel sinks.

3 - Finally, fresh paint in on-trend, but very light colors that go with existing things. Neutral/natural colors don't have to be boring. Beware of clashing beiges - they can be very tricky. Paint walls to go with your existing flooring, don't pick a color because you saw it elsewhere.

Paint inside closets, and inside cabinets too.

Consider staining or painting existing kitchen cabinets, but don't bother replacing them unless they are in horrible condition.

And the link explains the outside part.

Here is a link that might be useful: 4 Weeks to Curb Appeal

• dreamgarden
    13 years ago

Its a nice house. No clutter but it seems a little dark. You might want to consider using a more colorful bedspread and placing an area rug to brighten things up.

The bathrooms could use an ornamental vase and some strategically placed hand towels.

I'd make the front yard more inviting by planting a few flowers and/or placing a potted plant or two on the porch.

Good house, just needs a bit of brightening up!

• kats_meow
    13 years ago

To a certain extent what you do will depend on what is typical in the houses that are your competition.

On the house we just put on the market, we:

1. Repainted entire house to more neutral colors (mostly beige and gray).

2. Refinished hardwood floors that really needed it.

3. Refinished front door.

4. Replaced cultured marble vanities in master bath and powder room with granite with drop in sinks.

5. Replaced cultured marble vanities in kids bath with new cultural marble with drop in sink.

6. Recarpeted upstairs.

7. Replaced 20 year old cooktop and oven.

8. Put in faux wood blinds in several rooms.

9. Had windows professionally cleaned, powerwashed outside and covered patio.

1. Had landscaping freshened up and got leaves cleaned out of yard (have many trees).

2. Replaced a lighting fixture in the bathroom. Most of the faucets and stuff had been replaced a few years ago.

3. Had house staged.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of my house