Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insight on plan

Posted by raya7694 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 1, 10 at 21:26

We like this plan and would love any suggestions. TIA!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Plan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insight on plan

Did you mean to post this in the building a home forum?
I have to say that I don't like the placement of the powder room right next to the front door. Maybe you could swap it with the closet across from the stairs.

o
RE: Insight on plan

There will be noise from the lower level to the upper level with the vaulted ceiling. If you have small children and entertain at night, they could be kept awake, especially since those rooms are closest to the open area.

Do you really want the dining room in the front, right off the foyer? It will be a hassle to haul stuff from the kitchen. It would make more sense to have the DR where the study is.

In fact, I would use the entire back of the house - family room, kitchen and study as a great room, and have the study where the dining room is. I would then put French Doors to the foyer from the new study (old DR).

Think about how you live now. What would you like different? What doesn't work now? I am a big fan of Sarah Susanka (Not So Big House books), and could envision an "away" place tucked in there somewhere.

I also hate having a half bath facing out the front of the house, but that's just me. The door has to be kept closed so that it isn't the first thing guests see when they walk in the house!

If it were my house, I would have NO vaulted space to the second story, but instead have larger bedrooms and maybe even a third bathroom between the 11 x 13-8 bedroom and the vaulted space - a jack and jill, with pocket doors on each end of it, and a double sink. If you did that, then bath #2 could be directly accessed from the adjoining bedroom while also having an access point from the hall.

Good plan to have the laundry on the second floor where the bedrooms are!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here