Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
isthisaweed

Staging/Setup of this Awkward Space

isthisaweed
10 years ago

I have a small house that I am trying to figure out how to stage the living room area.

It is small space and has some awkward things like the door that faces the fireplace.

I had at one point covered the doorway up with a big armoire but since the room is so small covering that wall made the room feel really small. Also, I think if I covered the door with something, buyers might feel like why?

Also that other "box" across from the loveseat is a couch. The drawing is somewhat crude but the measurements are correct but it is not to scale.

Ideas?

Comments (5)

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

You might get some additional help on the decorating forum.

• camlan
    10 years ago

I agree that the decorating forum would provide some help. If you could take a few pictures of the room, that would also help.

The big problem is that you have the tv and the fireplace on opposite walls, and none of the seating faces either one. For a buyer, this is going to indicate that the room will be difficult to furnish, and difficult to watch tv in. Not a problem if there is another living space, like a family room, in the house, but a big problem if this is the main living space.

Not knowing how large your furniture is, it's hard to say. But I'd be tempted to swap the living and dining areas, as the wall space in the dining area would be better for the tv and seating.

Move the dining table up to where the sofa is.

Move the tv to the space where the armoire currently is. Put the sofa on the long wall, facing the kitchen door. Then put the love seat along the window wall where the dining table currently is. You'd still be able to see the fireplace while sitting on the sofa, and you'd have a much better view of the tv. The fireplace would mostly be in the dining room, but there's nothing wrong with that.

• weedyacres
    10 years ago

I third the idea of going to the decorating forum. Photos will help since the drawing's not to scale.

My suggestions to consider:
    -Lose the TV, the sofa and the armoire
    -Get 2 comfy chairs for cheap on CL or borrow them, and put them where the sofa is but away from the wall.

You'll now have a seating area focused around the fireplace, but with traffic flow around the outside of it: from the foyer to the back breezeway door, to the dining room.

• lyfia
    10 years ago

An idea - but requires you to remove some furniture

• isthisaweed
    Original Author
    10 years ago

unfortunately this is the only living rom type space in the house :(

Thank-you everyone for suggestions. I will repost this in decorating.