Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shanamaiya

First timer in need of emotional support

ShanaMaiya
10 years ago

Hi everyone.

My husband and I have lived in our home since marriage 22 years ago. I went straight from my parents home to this one so I have NO experience AT ALL (we bought this home from my in-laws). We took this house that was in awful shape and made it beautiful. We did most all the work ourselves. So of course I am VERY ATTACHED.

When my husband brought up the idea of selling and moving I resisted for awhile. I like playing it safe. Then after thinking about I decided I can't keep missing life because of my fears. Besides, I was up for having something a little larger. This home, while beautiful, is quite small and only has one bathroom. I wanted a bigger kitchen because I cook... A LOT. My husband loves woodworking so he wanted a basement and another garage.

We found a new development building homes a couple months prior and in order to proceed it was continginent on our home selling. So we did what we needed to do to make it happen.

We sold our home and are set to close next month. We were THRILLED that it was just on the market a few days and we had 3 offers. We accepted the best offer and the terms of closing in 2 months.

Then "fit hit the shan". To make a long story short, our lawyer advised us not to go through with the build because there was something very fishy with the builder. So we took his advice.

A couple days later we found a resale that we loved even more than the other, put in an offer and it was accepted. The only thing is the seller hasn't found a new home yet, but our lawyer gave him 3 months to close.

So here we are in limbo. We have to move into an apartment with flexible lease terms (we were able to find a few, some VERY expensive, some not SO bad).

I feel bipolar. One minute I am excited, the next I am scared and the next I am sobbing. This is such an emotional rollercoasters... and I don't like rollercoasters of ANY kind.

I just needed to vent and was hoping someone could say something to make me feel better... or at least make me feel like I'm not alone. :/

Comments (10)

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

It sounds stressful to live in-between houses, but think of it this way: You sold your house quickly, and you found a new house quickly. If you can't rent back from your buyer, try to use the time planning your new house, organizing, and getting rid of all the things you don't need anymore. We had to move so quickly, that we ended up packing up and moving a lot of junk rather than sorting and getting rid of it.

• Karenseb
    10 years ago

We have just sold our home also (today) and we have 7 weeks before we have to move across the country and find another home where homes are double the cost of where we live.
    And of course, they are in short supply! I just wish I knew if we could find a home we loved as much as this one. We had it built and it was exactly what we wanted.
    We will rent until we find something that works and if we don't love it, we will rework it until we do! We have lived in a couple different houses over the years and we have always liked the one we were living in, so I think we will find something.

I'm sure you will love your new house too.

This post was edited by Karenseb on Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 19:44

• kathyg_in_mi
    10 years ago

You'll do fine!

• littlebug5
    10 years ago

When we finally sold our house last year, we had to vacate in a month. We found a house to buy, and got our financials all worked out, but we couldn't get the new house till 3 weeks after we had to be out of the old one.

So, we rented a hotel room to live in and put all our stuff in storage for 3 weeks. Convenient? Easy? Cheap? Nope. But it worked and things are fine now.

Take a deep breath and calm down.

• ShanaMaiya
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the great advice! I really appreciate it. We found a short term apartment that is just what we were looking for and they had availability for June 1st (our closing is set for June 3rd). It even has a HUGE garage so we don't need a storage unit. So now we are just waiting for them to get back to us with our welcome letter. I know they did a credit check because we got an alert from Credit Karma. I also know we have excellent credit, but I am still just a LITTLE nervous and will be until I know we are good to go. I know... I am a nervous Nellie.

We had our inspection and appraisal yesterday and also had a garage sale. Our realtor called earlier to tell us that OUR seller found a house (YEY!), but now they are in the same boat WE are. THEIR sellers haven't found a house yet! OMG! This is such the domino effect! I told my realtor she may want to offer the name of the place we found that do short term rentals!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

It'll be June 3 before you realize. Organize your possessions and plan how to decorate your new home. Best of luck!

• southerncanuck
    10 years ago

I have bought and sold several properties in the last 40 years, I always say too many to count so I did and the tally today and the number is 53, I think. If I told you I wasn't a bit nervous on each and every sale I would be lying. So don't feel you are alone, if you aren't stressed at all then I would be concerned.

Tony2Toes,

Great story man, the place we are in was a rental I bought 22 years ago. It was a seasonal lakefront vacation property that was virtually untouched since 1946 other than some mechanical and adding indoor plumbing. It was my wifes first experience with remodeling other than paint and wallpaper. I bought it in the late fall and had to get her upgraded to get the best rental rates for Memorial Day. From driving screws wearing gloves to cramming ourselves into a single bed we dragged next to the woodstove in the livingroom to keep from freezing, taking the battery out of the Jeep every night to make sure it started the next day, snowed in for 2 days, no power, water, nothing but a case of beer and a bottle of anti freeze (Vodka) to drink. We look back now and it was the most fun we had and that winter beats out all the 5 star vacations we've ever had.

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

We were in a similar situation last year with the sale/purchase of our previous and current home. It was a complicated situation but suffice it to say it was stressful but everything worked out great!

We had to store our stuff for one month (at Public Storage with first month free - so we only paid the basic fess of $26!) and yes we had to pay for 2 moves since pods were not available to our previous location. Pod type moving/storage is a great option otherwise. But the 2 moves in/out of storage were cheaper than 2 full moves since they could back the truck right up to the storage room and unload quickly. We rented a furnished apartment for a month (with pets, that wasn't easy to find in our area and it was very expensive but only 1 month...) and we moved into our new place on time.

There were lots of stressful days when it looked like things were going to fall apart, but they didn't. Ultimately, you can live in a hotel room for a short time if necessary, just look forward to your new home - you'll be in it before long and this will all seem like a distant memory!

• crackermoo
    10 years ago

Wow, ShanaMaiya. As a fellow "Nervous Nellie", I can sympathize with your jitters. The whole process is nerve-wracking. Hopefully you are able to focus on how you're going to fix up your new place and make it "yours". :)

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area