Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Decorative Switch Plates

Posted by condolady (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 14, 12 at 15:15

I'd like to put up decorative wall switch plates, but am wondering what to do with the ones on the bottom. Our rooms are painted and they're now all just the plastic ones used in new construction. Should they be painted to match the walls? I'd appreciate your comments. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Decorative Switch Plates

Do you mean outlet covers?
Ours are all painted the wall color.

o

Try in the painting forum

o

Personally? I like to stay with the plain brass covers. They're very inexpensive (okay, a little more than those cheap plastic ones, but not pricy). They go with everything, if you use them all over your home, it looks very coordinated. And you can still add a decorative plate over the switches, if you want. I have some antique, hand-painted china switch plate covers, which I do use on the switches, but the rest of the room has the brass covers on the other switches and outlets--looks fantastic.

But you certainly can do what suits your taste. If you're going to use a decorative plate on the switch, it's a good idea to keep the rest of the covers rather neutral. The brass I mentioned, or wood that coordinates with the rest of the wood in your room, for example

o

I usually paint my switch covers and socket covers to match the wall. But please, remove them and paint them separately from the wall.

If you switch them out for decorative covers, IMO you can still keep the ordinary socket covers. They don't have to match.

o

Thanks for the replies. Let me apologize as I thought I was posting on the decorating forum. I hadn't posted in several years and dinn't mean to post here. I've solved the problem and an happy with the outcome!!!

o

"I've solved the problem and an happy with the outcome!!!"

What did you decide to do?

o

I painted the plastic covers on the bottom of the walls.
Decorative plates are on order for the light switches.
Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here