Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Darn dog spots in front yard!!!

Posted by stephpi (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 14, 11 at 15:08

Now that the snow has melted here in MN, we are left with our dogs 'pee' spots. Unfortunately she goes right in the front yard. Not so great curb appeal.

We will be putting down some grass seed, but in the meantime is there anything we can do? We have a showing in the morning(we haven't had one since the snow has melted), and everything looks okay out there except for that. I think I might have been the only Minnesotan wanting the snow to stay on the ground this year!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Darn dog spots in front yard!!!

Are the spots brown? How about spray paint?

o
They make spray paint for grass

I realized that some people might have thought I was joking above. They really do make non toxic spray paint for grass. Google "spray paint for grass".

o

I was going to say the same thing. I've seen them do it on some real estate shows.

Around here, most people put straw over places they've seeded. You could do that to show potential buyers you're taking care of things. Or just new top soil over the spots might do that too.

o

I've seen containers of stuff to feed your dog to keep from killing the grass at pet stores. I don't know whether it works, or the potential side effects, but that might be an option.

o

Yes the spots are brown. And our yard is just about completely green now.

I was too afraid of ridicule to mention spray paint, but I seriously thought about it!! I didn't even know about special non-toxic stuff for grass. Thanks, I will look into that paint since it will take a while for those brown spots to go away.

o

I used that stuff when selling a house and had spots all over the yard where the dog's urine had killed the grass.

I bought it over the internet and mixed it up in a pump sprayer. It really does hide the spots. The stuff I bought didn't match the grass exactly, it was an emerald green, but when I stepped back and looked at it, it looks fine. Wear plastic gloves and old shoes when working with it.

o

That was my first thought too, spray paint, and I didn't even know they made a kind for the lawn!

I have 2 dogs, and also am just now seeing those spots on my lawn.

o

This may help to prevent future spots. Our last dog and current dog are a breed known to have issues with bladder crystals. As such, we have only given them distilled water.
We think that may be why the grass is always a lush green, and grows faster than the rest of the lawn.

Worth a try.

o

You might want to treat those spots before you reseed.
Do a google search to "neutralize dog urine spots in lawn."

o

I read somewhere to feed the dog a tablespoon or two of tomato juice daily. It would be worth researching.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here