Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Cash offer on a short sale: advice/experience?

Posted by kaismom (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 22, 11 at 12:49

We are making a cash offer on a short sale house.
The seller owes about 500K, 2 lenders. 1 loan 450K, the other 50K.
Our offer: 400K cash, nonfinancing contingency hoping that it will expedite the process. The listing price is 480K now.
We will buy and convert to 30 year mortgage. This will be a rental investment house, not a primary residence for us.
The house has been on the market on and off for 3 years until the short sale listing. They have asked for too much money, above 500k. The house is probably worth about 425K to 450K. So not a huge discount but some...
Anyone with short sale experience, advice?
Does non-financing contingency expedite the process?
We have the contract written so that we can pull out anytime if we find better/other house.


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Cash offer on a short sale: advice/experience?

"Does non-financing contingency expedite the process? "

Not enough to matter.

The big delay will be getting the note holder to sign off.

Banks and lenders do NOT like to lose money.


 o
RE: Cash offer on a short sale: advice/experience?

Make the offer and sit back and wait to hear from them. Cash will not speed up the process, but it is more appealing than an offer with financing contingencies.


 o
RE: Cash offer on a short sale: advice/experience?

Best of luck - I think you are going to need it. The chances of getting a short sale through with 2 lenders is pretty small.

Just by the numbers, if a house is worth $450k, why would the first mortgage holder take less than $450k? You might have a little wiggle room for the convenience of getting it off their books, but not much. Your $400k offer is going to net about $375k, so they will be losing $75k. That isn't even counting the second mortgage. Obviously, the second lender isn't going to approve unless they get something, so that loss to the first actually has to be larger.

It is possible that they will accept your offer, but I don't think it is likely. The first lender is better off just foreclosing and trying to sell at market value.


 o
RE: Cash offer on a short sale: advice/experience?

"1 loan 450K, the other 50K."

The second mortgage holder is likely to foreclose since they will be wiped out if the first forecloses before they can.

Unless they want to lose the entire second they may step up and take the house.

If it is worth less than the first they may view the loss as better than taking on the first mortgage liability.

This is why seconds get a higher rate than firsts.

You are looking at a long path with two lenders, either of whom can kill the deal.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here