Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ready2moves

paint color 4 family -kitchen area

ready2moves
14 years ago

I have my walls all primed and ready for paint. I know a neutral color should go on them, but a beige or a tan, I don't believe would look good.

I need help.

We have light maple kitchen cabinets and maple flooring. The appliances are white, except for a black stove top. I have white wood trim. We have a wood burning stove that sits on a medium grey tile area in the corner of the family room. I have a blue sink that we will be having re-done either grey or blue...thats another question for later. We have laminate counter with a huge snack bar. The closest I could find to matching it was here:

http://www.countertopsinc.com/customcraft/laminate/colors?page=9

It does have more of a blue cast to it, after I got it in. Most of the neutrals I put in the house are grey, as I did not want beige again.

I have 3 sofas in the family room. I can cover the chinz floral with a slipcover once we decide on color. The leather sofa is moving to another room for staging, as is the blue loveseat. I have a grey/white marble end table. Other than that not much will have to stay in the room. I can buy or take items from other rooms in the house to stage it better.

I have painted samples of beiges on the wall. tried blue, tried greys. I give up. Not one color of beige looks good. I liked the blue, but had a baby blue, yuk, and tried a grey, and its not bad, but its not it.

I don't want to decide.

The room gets a GREAT deal of light facing southeast. 6 windows and no window coverings (now). But with the grey tile on the same wall as one set of windows and the grey-blue I have in the kitchen, I give.

Would like suggestions. And I know everyone loves Ben Moore or Sherwin Williams paints, but I don't. I will be buying my paint most likely from dutch boy, or valspar, or pittsburg (menards - lowes maybe home depot)

I have noticed that the lighter shades I tried on the walls, kinda just went blah, and didn't pop.

So, would a grey or a blue work for selling the house laters?

Comments (7)

• ready2moves
    Original Author
    14 years ago

oops...
    link is to grey glace sorry

• lyfia
    14 years ago

First off - How soon are you planning on selling? Within the year or??? If it is not in the very near future - Go with a color you like - then re-paint when it comes time to sell as it might be time to freshen it up then anyways depending on your household and why live for a few years with something that you're not that happy about.

Also as for paint color - it doesn't matter whose color it is anybody can match the color so don't rule out colors because it isn't the brand paint you'd buy. Only full spectrum colors would need to be their brand to get the correct effect.

Do you have any pictures of the space? It really helps. Also the Home Decorating forum is great help in coming up with colors.

• Linda
    14 years ago

Tans and beiges don't usually work with grays because grays are a cool color and the tans are a warm color. It seems you have some blues going on, I would stick with that. Blue and gray goes nicely together.

As for painting a color to sell later on down the line? Grays are very hard to match up when trying to stay with neutrals. I think you would be better off with accent colors that work with the grays instead of trying to find a neutral color to go with the gray.

• ready2moves
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Our plans are to put thehouse on the market 1 year from today, and this will be the last time I paint it. I am painting all the rooms now. This room was my first one, but I just can't decide on the paint.

I thought painting a family room a blue was a NO-NO in selling a home?

What accent color works with grey and blue that would be ok for selling a home?

I've read about some greys being a 'warm' color dependent upon the undertones, but thats where I am lost.

• User
    14 years ago

You can go for a nice soft milk chocolate, which is used with blue.

That is used all the time on HGTV shows, and apparently even dark chocolate is extremely popular these days. I was at the Home Depot paint counter with four other women the other day, and every one of them was buying a dark chocolate paint of some sort. One (young) man was buying a dark gray, ELEPHANT HIDE. Of course, the paint was all Behr.

If your gray leans a little toward blue, you could try some paint samples in the 8 ounce jars until you find one which jives with your room. It sure has saved me from some costly mistakes!

I personally am not a fan of blue because it eats up the light at night. But I do like a soft gray and even a dove gray has a leaning toward soft tan. Look into some of the taupes. I am painting my dining room Behr's CLASSIC TAUPE. White woodwork. Soft yellow kitchen, not a harsh yellow; has to be an earthy tone. But yellow goes with gray quite well, and with gray streaked marble.

• ready2moves
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I like the idea of a taupe, but what would some milk chocolates be? Suggestions of yellow also, Please? :)

I like yellow, I had it in my dining room, until I started this neutralizing phase.

I love blue, but I really want to stay away from it, as I think it is not in our best interest for selling.

I would not mind the grey, but the ones I thought would look good, don't. I think I am not bringing home a warm grey. any suggestions?

I like this idea you have: "But I do like a soft gray and even a dove gray has a leaning toward soft tan. Look into some of the taupes"
    please any actual paint names???

I'll run out and buy some samples, if you could point me to some actual color names, as I am not doing this correctly.

Right now, I just can't decide. Have most of the other rooms in the house decided on colors (some even painted!)...but not the family room, as its the most important I believe. We spend most of the time there.

• User
    14 years ago

Ok, ready2moves, after consulting my Behr fandeck of paint colors, I have some names for you to look at. I do not work for Behr or any store selling it, nor am I a professional of any sort.

YELLOW: THREADED GOLD --soft pale yellow ochre. I've used this color in my kitchen for many years. Even rag rolled it on in a tiny 8x9' room over white, and walls just melted away in light. To me, it is the color of sunlight. It is an older Behr color, but you can get it mixed at the new super duper Behr ultra pure plus in a satin enamel which can be washed. Get a sample

GREY: LIGHT FRENCH GRAY 720E2 This color is a warmed up gray. There are warm grays that go with tans better than with blues, but identifying them at the paint store is not as easy as in art class.

ANTIQUE WHITE--Behr #1823....This is a warm off white tending toward a grayed tan. Definitely not a warm beige which I think is the reason the beige's turn you off. It is gorgeous. If you do not put pure white next to it, you'd think this was....well, WHITE. But it is not pure white.

Now for the CHOCOLATES.
    WILD PORCINI 250E3 ...a lighter grayed chocolate which sits well beside both blues and grays. To me, it looks like my cup of instant cocoa, w/o the red tones. REALLY this is my best bet for your purposes.

STONE BROWN 250F4.....A darker midtone chocolate if you wish to put more difference between your blue and the chocolate. But it is similar in tone to the Wild Porcini.

MILK CHOCOLATE 710B5.....While this one carries the appropriate name, to me it is more toward the reddish brown look. It looks more like a cup of hot cocoa laced with milk, and not a "milk chocolate." I put it on here to point out that you cannot choose paint by the name alone. :)

And let's see, we said TAUPE?
    CLASSIC TAUPE 290E3...Definitely not a wimpy beige. This is the color I'm painting my dining room, with Ultra Pure White woodwork and a view through to the kitchen with its Threaded Gold walls and stainless steel. Stainless is another gray, in my book. Yellow and gray go together well.

RICH TAUPE PMD77....You might like this, it seems to change depending on the colors around it. It did not work well next to the terra cotta of my living room walls.

MESA TAUPE UL130-16....It was a close call between this one and Classic Taupe for me. I looked at this and saw gray first time, then I saw a rosier tone of beige. I think taupes are the chameleons of the paint chart.

Now, I do not know what blues you have going on in your family room. And I do not know what paint finishes you plan to use. But might I suggest that you get the latex enamel at least eggshell or satin? If you have kids and pets, wiping this off w/o damaging the paint will be easier and you'll finish the year with better looking walls.