Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Would you document the condition of nearby foreclosure?

Posted by jakabedy (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 29, 11 at 11:26

Ours is a semi-rural neighborhood, built mostly in the 1970s-80s on 3-5 acre lots. Usual prices are 190K - 300K with a few upper outliers for newer, larger homes. We have been relatively unscathed in the housing downturn. But now a foreclosure has hit the market for $89,900. From the looks of the place, I'm thinking it was someone who was there a long time and became disabled (some plumbing modifications) and the house was just let go over about 10 years. The owner has probably died or has been moved into a nursing home. It's all very sad. I'm thinking the family just decided to let it go rather than deal with it.

At 15K an acre, that puts the house value at about $45K. I know this place will cause grief over the next year or two as a comp. We're not planning on selling, but you never know, you know? I'm thinking of going into the house and getting photos to document the poor condition. Roof leaks, buckets in the house, mold, rotted siding, trashed deck, ripped pool liner with dirt and weeds growing in pool -- very rough. That way I'll have photos in the event of an appraisal that shows it as a comp. Am I being silly, or does this seem like a good idea?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Would you document the condition of nearby foreclosure?

It's an excellent idea.

o

I think it's a waste of your time unless you are actively selling your home. Things in the housing market can change on a dime. What maybe a trashed house now may deteriorate even more. If and when you put your house on the market you are going to want current pics to prove your point.

o

It would only be considered a comp for a year after it sold. So if that is a time frame you'd be concerned about I would do it.

Although they used a camp house with an outhouse as a comp for our permantent residence house and appraiser did nothing to adjust for it even after told about it.

o

Check with your county building and safety dept and health dept for violutions. Some counties have strict rehab laws. Los Angeles County does have one. Also due to a possible danger to children etc, the health dept can contact them to at least board it up.

o

"It would only be considered a comp for a year after it sold."

Not even that long.

o

brickeyee - he/she said semi-rural. There isn't always enough properties sold so they usually will accept up to a year old comps in these cases. In a city or where there are lots of other comps that would not be the case.

o

Thanks all. Yeah, finding comps can be a problem where we are. When we bought in 2007 the appraiser had to go back more than six months.

o

"I'm thinking of going into the house and getting photos to document the poor condition. "

Isn't this called trespassing?

o

"Is this called trespassing?"

I feel certain that it is. But I don't think I'm going to get any grief for it.

It's empty and on the market with a huge pile of trash in the driveway. I walked around it at first to peek in windows and check it out The back door was open (I'm not sure it locks). I'm not saying it's not trespassing. I'm just saying that it's not going to be a problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here