Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
For Sale Sign

Posted by anicee (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 26, 11 at 10:28

I will be putting my house on the market sometimes next month and since that most searches for real estate for sale start on the net, I was wondering the pertinence of the agent putting his for sale sign on my property.
I live in a small village. I am the last house on a dead-end street with minimal traffic.
I bought this house last year in August and move here for personal reasons and things are not working out so I am moving back where I was living before for the last 10 years which is 1400km away from here. I love my little house here but I am not happy in this part of the country.
So to put the sign or not?

Thank you!

Anicee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: For Sale Sign

Why on earth would you *not* post a for sale sign? Marketing is marketing. You may not get a lot of traffic on your street, but your neighbors have friends and relatives that may be wanting to move into the neighborhood and your neighbors aren't going to be able to tell everyone they know that a house is for sale next to them unless they see a sign letting them know it's for sale (I doubt your neighbors casually troll the MLS)

o

Having a for sale sign confirms to people that this is the house they saw on the internet when they do a drive-by.

o

I agree: a for sale sign with a box holding brochures / flyers, just in case someone is really interested. I too live in a small(ish) village, and word seems to spread fast when someone knows about a house for sale, so it might help.

o

I didn't. I didn't want to advertise to my neighbors nor have drive-bys. The agents all had directions to my house. I didn't see any reason to have one.

No one had problems finding the house and it sold quickly.

o

We didn't have a sign when we were selling our house because of the reasons above. No open house either, that's just encouraging my neighbors and other lookie-loos.

o

But someone who wants that neighborhood will drive around and look for signs. The last three homes I've bought, an agent showed me a home in the neighborhood, and I went back and drove all around the neighborhoods that I liked to get a feel for it (usually later in the evening when people and kids would be home). And I wrote down info from signs, especially FSBO, but I'd go back to the agent and say, what about this one or this one? Often there was a weird reason that the agent hadn't shown me the home, but that's another thread.

o

And sometimes those neighbors and lookie-loos know someone who wants to buy in your neighborhood. In a buyer's market I wouldn't pass up any opportunity for exposure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here