Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Accuracy of appraisal

Posted by graywings (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 12, 09 at 10:01

I will be closing on the purchase of a house tomorrow. Yesterday in the mail, I received the appraisal performed for the mortgage company. It has some errors in it, notably that the wood frame house has vinyl siding.

By some strange coincidence, the house appraised at the exact sum that I am paying for it. That amount is lower than I thought it would have.

Now that I have my loan, does this appraisal matter for any purpose?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Accuracy of appraisal

Nope, doesnt matter at all. I asked an appraiser once why the appraisals always seem to come in at "just the exact number needed for the loan". He told me that if it is more than 5% difference than what is needed they have to do a lot more paperwork. They are less concerned about giving you an exact appraisal and more concerned with just giving you what you need.

o
RE: Accuracy of appraisal

Appraisers have had a petition before congress for years, imploring them to crack down on lending institutions that blackball appraisers who don't come in at a predetermined price...to no avail.

Consequently, the appraiser either plays ball or closes up shop...as he/she will receive very little if any business otherwise.

One more mystery solved regarding how so many homes were sold and mortgages issued for such inflated values.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here