Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can someone dumb this down?

Posted by ccinindiana (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 25, 09 at 8:10

I have previously written about how our builder went under half way through our build. The bank now owns the house, is honoring our contract to complete it according to our specs and has a builder that is a bank employee that is finishing it.

My question is about overages. Everything we had peviously put into the house (5000.00 down payment and about 12,000 in plumbing and electrical overages) is being counted. We still owe about 20,000 in overages related to flooring, cabinets, central vac etc.

The bank has said that everything we pay into it will count towards the down payment, but will increase the cost of the house. That is where I get lost. So basically our 32,000.00 in overages will increase the house by that much, but then, be credited back. So we are back to our original price. Why can't the money we pay in just be deducted? Which would lower the original price by 32,000.00.

Also the bank was concerned that with the upgrades that it might not appraise as high as we need and then we'd have to pay the difference.

I hope this is making sense to someone on here, because it isn't to me! Can anyone explain this in a way that someone who is clearly not a numbers person can understand? Thanks for yur help! Cathi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can someone dumb this down?

If the bank raises the price of the house by the amount you've already paid, then it's crediting you with *nothing*.

Get your money back.

o
RE: Can someone dumb this down?

I would question that someone who is employed by the bank is working on the house. Is he a licensed contractor, employee of bank? certified and are they pulling permits. Check with the building dept to make sure all work done has or will have permits. You might check with a RE lawyer to protect you and your money.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here