Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
would this cause you to rescind your offer?

Posted by susie100 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 23:27

Long story short: sold my condo about a month ago; houses in my area in my price range (about $100K) are in short supply. I looked at a likely prospect Monday (first day house was listed); liked it; wanted to get a contractor to go in and tell me difficulty/cost of moving laundry upstairs from basement. Tuesday, realtor calls and says there is another offer on this property, so I said I would like to make an offer contingent upon getting laundry upstairs, inspection, the usual suspects. Made offer today and asked to view house again, which we did after offer was made and paperwork filled out. It rained very hard today. Of course, you see things on second showing you did not see at first. Today there was standing water in the basement and I noticed long horizontal cracks in the foundation, all sides. I can afford to buy the house, but I don't think I can address what I perceive as a lot of present and potentially worsening problems. What would you do? I really liked the house itself; very charming.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: would this cause you to rescind your offer?

Was there any explanation for the water? I wouldn't be comfortable with it and would back out now.

o

Keep shopping...

o

Since you've already made an offer, I would wait to see what results from the inspection. But if this is not something that can be easily rectified, I'd use the inspection as an out and keep looking.

This post was edited by Chadoe3 on Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 12:31

o

Horizontal cracks are a very bad sign. Run!

o

Vertical hairline cracks or even diagonal cracks in concrete walls are fairly common...horizontal cracks of any length....RUN FORREST RUN!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here