Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

What would you think if you saw an air purifier in a house?

TxMarti
10 years ago

I'm decluttering and came across a room size air purifier I had put up in a closet and forgotten about. We bought it when an allergy dr told us dd needed it, but when she left for college, she didn't want to use it anymore.

Dh has horrible allergies and I'd like to put it in our bedroom and use it at night. But if it would look like there is a problem to sellers, I'll just let dh suffer a little longer. ;)

Comments (15)

• OttawaGardener
    10 years ago

I wouldn't think anything of it. I can't imagine a buyer being concerned about it at all, many people own these!

I have an air purifier because I have a dust allergy - even with no rugs and regular vacuuming, it is needed. I also have a Merv 11 filter system on my furnace.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

It's in a closet now, why couldn't you pick it up and put it out of sight if you are concerned about it when your home might be shown.

I have two that look like tower fans, handle on top. I haven't worried about them being seen, but they'd take about two minutes to put away if I didn't want them noticed.

My former house had a Honeywell air cleaner as part of the heating/cooling, my new house - radiant embedded in the ceilings. We're open (screened) window type people and I saw a difference in the amount of dusting I was required to do especially with tree pollen now present, the purifiers help.

• dadereni
    10 years ago

I wouldn't worry about it. The main reason to put it away would be if it's an obstacle in the room and eats up floor space.

I would be concerned about space heaters and fragrance emitting devices though.

• Chadoe3
    10 years ago

I wouldn't give it a second thought, except maybe "hey I should get one of those!".

I have allergies also and would completely understand the need. It doesn't matter how spotless a house is, allergens are everywhere.

• nancylouise5me
    10 years ago

As others have stated I doubt that a buyer would think twice about the purifier being out. It's a non-issue. If it bothers you, just put it in the back of the closet when you have a showing. With many people having allergies to many things now a days, these are becoming more and more common in the home. NancyLouise

• maddielee
    10 years ago

Not being familiar with air purifiers I might wonder if having such a machine might be to cover up an odor of some sort.

Keep it in the closet in case you get a buyer like me.

ML

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

"Keep it in the closet in case you get a buyer like me."

You don't look in the closets when house hunting? ;-)

• artemis78
    10 years ago

We have them in both our bedrooms. No particular issues with air quality (except for having a dog). I wouldn't think anything of it, as others have said. Ditto for a humidifier in a child's room. Only thing I would think twice about would be a dehumidifier in a basement or other prone-to-moisture space, if seller had not disclosed any moisture issues.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Interesting question and for full disclosure: When I bought a condo, I was wondering why there was an air purifier in the living/dining room.
    On the other hand, a dehumidifier in a basement in the summer would be expected here.
    So, I'd remove the air purifier when showing the house (for buyers like me), even though I ended up buying it after all.

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

If I spotted an air purifier I would assume someone had allergies. Possibly ask about it. Certainly my initial reaction would not be concern.

I might ask if I spotted a dehumidifier in basement - certainly would look for any signs of water entry.

This post was edited by saltidawg on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 16:29

• ncrealestateguy
    10 years ago

If it looks anything like an air dehumidifier, I would tuck it away for showings.

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

If I were looking at houses and spotted a dehumidifier "tucked away" I'd see a red flag.

• ncrealestateguy
    10 years ago

Tucked away in this case means getting it out of sight.

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

"Tucked away in this case means getting it out of sight."

Ya think?

Like one of those places a buyer would never look... like a closet or under the sink? lol

This post was edited by saltidawg on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 20:19

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

I sold my house with one in every bedroom. Our family had allergies and we all became accustomed to the sound of the fan running. I never thought to remove them. Buyers didn't seem to notice or was bothered.

Jane