Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurelzito

mobile homes where you own the land

Laurel Zito
11 years ago

There are very few mobile home parks where you own the land. I would like to find a list of them online, but I can't find one. Can someone find one for me?

I read a posting here on mobile homes that said, one should not buy a mobile home unless you own the land.

Many of the these homes are not really mobile either. If they look too much like trailers they are not very nice, but the can be customized and remodeled once you own them to look more like a regular home. The reason they are not mobile is they are too hard to move or too expensive to move or they can crack if moved. They should not be mobile, but be small with a sort of community of people that are friendly, that would be nice. Not necessarily extremely small, but not too large and not with too much landscaping to keep up, but some garden space, but not the kind of house with huge lawns front and back which means a lot of up keep or a garden service.

Comments (25)

• Linda
    11 years ago

I've never heard of a mobile home park where you actually own the land. What would be the point of someone owning the park? Are you sure when you heard not to own a mobile home without owning the land that the person wasn't talking about a private lot, not in a park? Check with your county, unless your area is very rural, most counties don't allow mobile homes anymore unless you are replacing an existing one.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The home owners buy the land from the corp. and create their own corp. Each owner of a house owns a stake in the park, there parks like that, but over all a very small percentage of them are like that, I would say like maybe 2 percent? Do some searches on it and you will probably come up with one or two parks. In these parks the mobile homes are more expensive since one does not pay rent, but only the fee involved with the landscaping and the pool and the clubhouse.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"only the fee involved with the landscaping and the pool and the clubhouse."

And the road maintenance (plowing, repair, etc) and all the other expenses of the 'community.'

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for sharing that. I can see it maybe a problem if the debt is not paid off, but once it is paid off, then I don't see what could go wrong, as long as it was nice and people wanted to live there. I read in this article there are three in santa cruz, but I don't want to live in santa cruz and one in morgan hill. Santa Cruz is pretty, but to get there you have to drive up and down a very scary mountain. I would be stuck there if I moved there because I am too afraid to drive on highway 17 up or down the mountain and as I get older I get even more afraid of it. I would have to drive on 101, and it would take like three hours each way. Anyway, I just wanted to find out about other parks like still in CA since I have to stay here due to having Kaiser and I can't move outside of CA and keep my insurance. It is good to know all the ins and outs before one buys any thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: This one is very nice however

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just found this one also, it seems like people have the right to own the land, weather they can make it work or not is another matter, but I do know that it is kind of trend because of the problem with mobile homes losing value unless you own the land, and some of the homes in Huntington beach look very nice, even thought they are "mobile" they don't look like ugly sheds.

Here is a link that might be useful: own your land news article

• new-beginning
    11 years ago

you also might try searching for Mobile Home Subdivision

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I want to delete this post, but it is making me type some text here to do that.

This post was edited by tropical_thought on Mon, Nov 3, 14 at 9:46

• susiegibbs1950
    7 years ago

I know this is an old post on this subject, but in Barefoot Bay, Florida you own the land, it is not a co-op and it is all nice mobile homes. It is called a recreation district and that avoided any of the problems you all have mentioned. It also has a lot of things; pools, club house, beach front on the ocean though the park is not on the ocean, and more. There is a homeowner association and monthly fee of sixty dollars, and that takes care of a lot of stuff! Take a look at it. There are many good realtors, but the best is Becky Boncek at remax.

• ncrealestateguy
    7 years ago

Realtors do not buy and sell personal property, which mobile homes are. Realtors only deal with real property.

• sushipup1
    7 years ago

But realtors sell many lots with mobile homes on them.

• Christopher_H
    7 years ago

Here in Vermont, once the manufactured home is set on a permanent foundation on private land, it's sold just like any other piece of real estate.

But we must recognize that the manufactured homes today are nothing like what we called "trailers" set in a low rent park.

• Anne
    7 years ago

In my state (Maryland) *disclamar....I am going on hearsay* and real life. In some counties if you have a foundation then the mobile home doesn't have to be in a park

• susiegibbs1950
    7 years ago

Actually, if the manufactured home is on a permanent foundation on it's own land it is real estate and is sold as such, but if in a rental park buying one is much like buying a car. Plus each year you must pay for an annual sticker. But on your own land you pay taxes as it is real estate. That's how it is in Florida. Plus you can claim homestead exception if you live in you home full time and it is not just a vacation home.

• PRO
    Elevate Homes Realty
    7 years ago

It's really a "regional" thing. If you wanted to know about the communities of mobile homes on land in southern California, I can help you out. What you need is a real estate professional in the area that you are interested in. And not just any real estate professional...one with experience in mobile homes. And that's a real specialty. Many of the mobile home parks on land (and in parks) are senior communities, so real estate professionals that work with seniors is a good place to start. Make sure they have actually sold mobile homes and know the difference between a 433a certified unit and not. Certain units qualify for standard financing, and other require special (hard money) loans. All can be financed, even in parks where you lease the land, but you will pay 2-5 percent higher interest rates for the special financing. Some units are in affordable housing communities and have deed restrictions that you need to be aware of for your lending. Don't choose an inexperienced agent. And if you're a buyer, at least in southern California, sellers pay the commission, so hire the best since it costs you nothing.

• Linda
    7 years ago

NCRealEstateguy, its regional. Realtors in my area do list and sell mobile homes. Its done just like the sale of a car. For "real estate transactions" attys are required here, but we can sell mobile homes on the hood of a car in the parking lot ;)

• PRO
    Elevate Homes Realty
    7 years ago

Funny how it works so differently in different areas. It certainly isn't done on the hood of a car in California. Especially when attached to land (and even if in a park), including all the disclosures and such, there's generally 200+ pages in our final real estate file, and the cost of these homes can be anywhere from a few thousand dollars to over half a million.

• janisjem
    6 years ago

Hi, I would like to own my own home on my own land. I am in the Boston area but willing to move further out. Does anyone know about modular home owners with land bought together in my area?

• PRO
    Elevate Homes Realty
    6 years ago

Hi janisjem! Sorry it took so long, but there aren't many professionals that work with mobile homes in the Boston area. There aren't too many mobile homes on land there is what I have found. Here is one professional you can call: Jenna White 508-367-1220. Hope it works out for you.

• bjjennings1954
    6 years ago

In Missouri it is a pretty simple task to affix a mobile/manufactured home to the property and converting it to real property.

http://dor.mo.gov/motorv/homes/

• Old Vermonter
    6 years ago

Hi, I would like to own my own home on my own land. I am in the Boston area but willing to move further out. Does anyone know about modular home owners with land bought together in my area?

There are a number of modular dealers in the Boston area. Google "modular home dealers, eastern Mass". Just remember though, modular is NOT manufactured housing. Modulars are the same as a site built home and the final product will cost the same. The only advantage is the time saved.

• Jeff King
    4 years ago

I know of a couple in the Palm Springs area. The HOA fee is 250 dollars or less, and the homes retain their value.

• Ann Maisano
    4 years ago

There is a 55+ community in Banning Ca called Banning Estates were you purchase both the land and manufactured home. These homes also include a 1 or 2 car garage, no carports. If anyone knows of any others like this I'd love to know.

• sushipup1
    4 years ago

There is an association of Resident-Owned Communities, at least in California. I'd contact them for more info.

https://mhphoa.com/ca/roc/

• cpartist
    4 years ago

This thread is from 2013.