Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mobile homes where you own the land

Posted by tropical_thought (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 22:31

There are very few mobile home parks where you own the land. I would like to find a list of them online, but I can't find one. Can someone find one for me?

I read a posting here on mobile homes that said, one should not buy a mobile home unless you own the land.

Many of the these homes are not really mobile either. If they look too much like trailers they are not very nice, but the can be customized and remodeled once you own them to look more like a regular home. The reason they are not mobile is they are too hard to move or too expensive to move or they can crack if moved. They should not be mobile, but be small with a sort of community of people that are friendly, that would be nice. Not necessarily extremely small, but not too large and not with too much landscaping to keep up, but some garden space, but not the kind of house with huge lawns front and back which means a lot of up keep or a garden service.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mobile homes where you own the land

I've never heard of a mobile home park where you actually own the land. What would be the point of someone owning the park? Are you sure when you heard not to own a mobile home without owning the land that the person wasn't talking about a private lot, not in a park? Check with your county, unless your area is very rural, most counties don't allow mobile homes anymore unless you are replacing an existing one.

o

The home owners buy the land from the corp. and create their own corp. Each owner of a house owns a stake in the park, there parks like that, but over all a very small percentage of them are like that, I would say like maybe 2 percent? Do some searches on it and you will probably come up with one or two parks. In these parks the mobile homes are more expensive since one does not pay rent, but only the fee involved with the landscaping and the pool and the clubhouse.

o

"only the fee involved with the landscaping and the pool and the clubhouse."

And the road maintenance (plowing, repair, etc) and all the other expenses of the 'community.'

o

>The home owners buy the land from the corp. and create their own corp. Each owner of a house owns a stake in the park, there parks like that, but over all a very small percentage of them are like that

This has turned out to be a horrible idea in many places. Locally, we have one community that did that, back during the frenzy when the park owners wanted to cash in on the boom. The residents opted to form a co-op and buy the land, at a price of around 79K per unit, on the theory that while that was a lot for some people, nobody at the time could find anything for less than that (true then--a one-bedroom apt that isn't very nice was going for about 200k) and there are hardly any places left to move a mobile home to.

So they did it, only a few people made good on their commitment to purchase shares, the community couldn't make the mortgage payments and the former owners are in the process of taking it back and evicting everyone to sell it to a developer.

There's a reason you don't hear about many communities like this. Incidentally, at least in FL, the majority of mobile communities that own the land are usually incorporated, which means higher maintenance fees and property tax payments and that they are very open to predatory developers, since the incorporation exempts them from things like county height development limits. Look up the sad saga of Briny Breezes, for instance.

Here's a link to an article about Ocean Breeze Park, our local community. They since have found a potential buyer who might let them stay for now, but that is stalemated because of the number of people who stopped paying any rent once the co-op took over and it became obvious that things weren't working out well. The arrears dollar amount would give me pause, too, if I were considering investing.

EDIT And I will say that these poor folks tried everything. They got very creative with trying to encourage a move to Katrina Cottages from single-wides for new residents, for example, to build a kind of new-style model retirement community, but the numbers just didn't work no matter what, since so many people couldn't/wouldn't pay the higher prices resulting from being owners instead of ground renters.

Here is a link that might be useful: ocean breeze park

This post was edited by writersblock on Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 12:35

o

Thank you for sharing that. I can see it maybe a problem if the debt is not paid off, but once it is paid off, then I don't see what could go wrong, as long as it was nice and people wanted to live there. I read in this article there are three in santa cruz, but I don't want to live in santa cruz and one in morgan hill. Santa Cruz is pretty, but to get there you have to drive up and down a very scary mountain. I would be stuck there if I moved there because I am too afraid to drive on highway 17 up or down the mountain and as I get older I get even more afraid of it. I would have to drive on 101, and it would take like three hours each way. Anyway, I just wanted to find out about other parks like still in CA since I have to stay here due to having Kaiser and I can't move outside of CA and keep my insurance. It is good to know all the ins and outs before one buys any thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: This one is very nice however

o
Huntington beach article and link

I just found this one also, it seems like people have the right to own the land, weather they can make it work or not is another matter, but I do know that it is kind of trend because of the problem with mobile homes losing value unless you own the land, and some of the homes in Huntington beach look very nice, even thought they are "mobile" they don't look like ugly sheds.

Here is a link that might be useful: own your land news article

o

you also might try searching for Mobile Home Subdivision

o

Thanks, being restricted to CA is very frustrating. I cannot find what I want at a price I can afford without huge monthly fees. Not only am I restricted to CA, but only certain parts of CA in which Kaiser would allow me to move and keep the plan. I hate to be complaining, but Kaiser does operate in other states, yet they created a restriction that means if I want to move out of state, I have to quit Kaiser and then reapply, and if they choose not to take me back, they don't have any obligation to take me back. If I could search nationwide and in Florida in particular, I would be sure to find something. I am so sick of looking, I am going to give up for a few years and just stay here. So, if anyone else has Kaiser, I just want to warn you to call and speak to member services before you decide where you want to move or set your heart on a dream home. I found a few places in San Diego county with low fees, but they don't have a pool or a club house or any community, so why would I bother? I would just buy a regular house somewhere and it would be all the same. Plus those places are duplexes so you have really like the people in the other house.

Here is a link that might be useful: three low fee places to consider

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here