Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
upnorthhey

Disadvantage to using buyer's agent?

UpNorthHey
11 years ago

I think working with a buyer's agent to buy a home was a mistake. Even though I had visited a house for sale twice and my agent asked to be notified if an offer came in, the listing agent proceeded to take an offer that came straight to them without even letting us know or make an offer.

I suppose this way the listing agent doesn't have to split the commission.

But what if my offer would have been better? The seller will never know.

Am I better off perusing the MLS on my own and calling the listing agents?

Comments (9)

• chispa
    11 years ago

Most would assume that after you visited a house twice, if you really liked it, you would have made an offer. What you showed was "I don't really love this house, but if someone else likes it and makes an offer then maybe I was wrong about the house and I should now throw them a bone and write them an offer"!!!

You hesitated and someone else beat you to it. It happens.

In the past I have worked with my own agent and I have also gone straight to listing agents. It depends on the market and location.

During the bubble, when properties moved fast I went straight to the listing agents. It worked because I was buying/selling in the same town and knew most of the agents in the area. I knew my market and price range very very well and didn't need an agent to represent me. I used a lawyer to protect our interests.

Last time we used a buyers agent. It was a relocation and I did not know the area or agents well. I did lots of research too. I interviewed agents and found a really good one with big connections to the town (long time resident, kids in the school system, etc). She ended up finding us a house that wasn't even on the market.

• ncrealestateguy
    11 years ago

You hesitated... you missed out. You are not a victim. You are a less motivated buyer who got beat out by a more motivated buyer.
    Why not put in a back up contract at your highest and best?

• weedyacres
    11 years ago

The listing agent, if he/she was truly representing the best interests of the seller, should have called your agent to see if you wanted to put in a competing offer. That's what my agent's M.O. is, to try to get the highest price.

That said, I don't think it's a matter of being better to go straight to the listing agent. I'm not a fan of dual representation. Better to have your own advocate.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"Am I better off perusing the MLS on my own and calling the listing agents?"

Only if you do not want agent on your side of the table.

'Dual agency' is more of a 'treat everyone fairly' idea, not a 'get the best deal for my customer' deal.

Buying and selling are opposite sides, one wants more, one less. It is pretty hard to do both at the same time.

You waited to make an offer.
    YOUR problem it sure sounds like

This post was edited by brickeyee on Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 14:48

• adellabedella_usa
    11 years ago

I don't see why the listing agent should have called you. I see it as a one in the hand is worth two in the bush. They had a valid offer, you may or may not have offered. Why muddy up a deal if you have what you need?

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

Maybe the sellers liked the offer and didn't want to wait to see what you might offer and told their agent not to bother calling your agent.

• acheavacci
    11 years ago

Why were hesitant to putting in an offer? Did you really want the house? Sorry you missed out.

• marys1000
    11 years ago

I don't think we have the whole story? I think the market plays a role, in a hot market where the listing agent is pretty assured of getting the listing price, why bother calling back?

Unless you had an offer in that was refused but your buyers agent told the listing agent specifically you might come up if there was a competing bid. If that were the case and the listing agent might have gotten the seller more money then I don't think they did the right thing. If you hadn't made an offer and the listing agent got a full price bid, why should they call?
    Do you know what it sold for?

• User
    11 years ago

Snooze and lose. If you want to buy a home, you need to put in an offer on it. That's it in a nutshell. There must have been something about this one that didn't quite work for you or you would have been more confident in making that offer. One you like better may be just around the corner. If you find it, don't hesitate to put in your "first and best". The market is improving in a lot of places and sellers of attractive well priced homes are getting their price, and sometimes more!