Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diyfever

Garage Conversion and Resale Value

DIYfever
10 years ago

My husband and I are entertaining the idea of a garage conversion to create a large studio type bedroom and/or rec room. We have a 3-car garage and would not convert the single car area that has its own garage door and all the heating/plumbing stuff is on that side. We would be adding about another 500 sq feet of living space by converting the 2 car garage. We would just do the bare necessities but not add water of plumbing (we aren't trying to make a rental unit or anything). We live in the Bay Area if that matters. The house is currently 1900 sq ft single story 3 bedrooms, 2 bath and a 4th office/bedroom. We are just wondering what the effect would be on resale. Thanks in advance...

Comments (14)

• User
    10 years ago

A poorly done, unpermitted conversion that takes away parking area and storage is a huge turnoff that DEvalues a home. Add back the two car garage as new addtion, and make the conversion look like it was never a garage. Besure it's all permitted and inspected. Then you might be adding some value to the home. But only if it's done well, with proper climate control, insulated, etc.

• littlebug5
    10 years ago

Agree - I have seen many many conversions that look exactly like what they are - garage conversions. Looks trashy to me.

There's one about 2 blocks from me. The WORST thing they did was leave the paved driveway that goes right up to the new room. Looks really bad. Plus, the proportions of the house are just wrong now.

So, if you did this, you'd just have a 1 car garage? I think that would be a big mistake. How many people want a 1 car garage?

• DIYfever
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the honest feedback. I agree with the consensus! If only a 2nd story addition were in the budget...

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

How about if you really spruce up the garage, perhaps with storage and/or a workshop area, for example, for cyclists or hobby workers?
    Something like this

Here is a link that might be useful: garage makeover

• DIYfever
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nosoccermom that is gorgeous and I should do that anyway but the conversion was a desperate attempt to add a bedroom! I posted another thread in the Remodeling forum that I have 3 kids sharing 2 rooms with large age gaps... dilemma! Thanks for the idea and photo :)

• Oaktown
    10 years ago

DIYfever -- are you in the SF Bay Area? I would suggest you talk with a realtor about resale value in your neighborhood/micro-market, because this is an unusual place in terms of real estate and the conventional wisdom might not apply in the same way. I recently saw a really nice garage-to-rec-room conversion recently in a $2+ million house. And I've seen some really poor conversions that didn't impact price because the value was all in the land anyway.

If you need more space for your kids, I would do whatever works best for your family. You could always change it back later.

This post was edited by Oaktown on Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 18:01

• new-beginning
    10 years ago

"The house is currently 1900 sq ft single story 3 bedrooms, 2 bath and a 4th office/bedroom."

if you are using the 4th bedroom as an office, why not turn one of the garage spaces into an office? As much as possible, have it continue to look (from the exterior) like a garage.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Here are some pictures of converting garages into office space. I have seen some very nice garage conversions, but I'd say it depends on your budget and the layout.

Here is a link that might be useful: garage to office

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I posted on your other thread. You need to do what you need to for your kids to have separate bedrooms.

As new beginning said perhaps do the minimum to the garage to make it an office so that it could easy be used as a garage if needed.

• cakelly1226
    9 years ago

I think its different in the Bay area and parts of California in general where the cost of land is so high and you need to utilize the most space you have possible. We are in Southern Cali and we are currently converting the garage into to a laundry/storage/rec room space. It's done frequently in our area and if done tastefully and well done with permits, it could add value to your home long term.

• cakelly1226
    9 years ago

Oh and plus, we don't have weather by me. We never park in our garage.

• cpartist
    9 years ago

I'm in a downtown FL area and one car garages are standard which is why we are building our new home with only a one car garage. It all depends on your neighborhood and what's common. If everyone else has two car garages, then no, don't get rid of the garage and try some of the other suggestions.

• Linda Doherty
    9 years ago

Use the office as a 4th bdm. Find a niche somewhere to use as office. As a Realtor, garage conversions generally devalue homes. Especially if most homes in your area have garages.