Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Cash Transaction Between Siblings

Posted by mdfacc (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 26, 10 at 20:39

Hello everyone. What steps must siblings take if one sells a home to the other?

In this case, one sibling owns a home with no mortgage and will sell it to a second sibling for cash, with no bankers or realtors involved. The buyer should obtain title insurance, but is there anything else that should be done? Can the seller just sign the deed to the house (as with a car) and give it to buyer in exchange for a check, and that's it?

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Cash Transaction Between Siblings

You obviously don't need to pay 6% to a realtor, but you REALLY need to pay for a lawyer, title insurance etc. If it has been in the family for a while, I'd recommend a survey too.

RE: Cash Transaction Between Siblings

You need an RE lawyer in the worst way because of unanticipated problems down the road (should they arise), and/or things like capital gains taxes, or other things that you may not know about.

RE: Cash Transaction Between Siblings

Agree that you should speak to a lawyer. In my state the sale must be reported, and there are property transfer taxes paid by the seller based on the sales price.

RE: Cash Transaction Between Siblings

lawyer lawyer lawyer

or title co title co title co.

Buyer needs at least a title policy & a survey, &, here anyway, the sale should be recorded with the county clerk to protect the buyer from, among other things, the seller's creditors.

If no sale has been recorded, & the seller has a tax lien, the house could be sold by the IRS, & the buyer wouldn't know until somebody came by with an eviction notice.

or the seller could die, & the executor could do a search of county tax records & find the house & list it in the assets of the estate & sell it.

or the seller could die, & leave "all my worldly goods" to his/her only child, & the child could take out a home improvement loan on the house & never pay a dime, & the house would be foreclosed.

or the seller could receive all the property tax notices & ignore them, & the county tax office could sell the house...

Really, you need a lawyer or a title company.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here