Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Our buyer's agent has been lying to us.

Posted by MissLeafy (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 20:18

Here is the story. We put in an offer on a foreclosure and the bank responded with a counter offer within a week. The problem is that our real estate agent didn't tell us that crucial information until 7 days later. The day we found out, we told her to put in a counter offer. Today, a full TWO WEEKS later, we called the listing agent to find out that she didn't even submit the offer until today. Thus, that makes 3 whole weeks that the bank has not heard from us. Since the bank is allowed to start taking other offers after 20 days, they took someone else's offer and are working with them now. This is, of course, because of our agent's negligence. This whole time she has been saying that she hasn't heard anything back about our offers, all while never having submitted any of it. Do you think she is somehow benefitting from holding off until other offers show up? Why would she do this? It was going to be such a good investment and we are going to miss out. Should we sue her?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Our buyer's agent has been lying to us.

There's nothing to sue for. Dump her and find someone a lot better, and write up your experience and send to both her broker/office manager as well as the local board of realtors.

Then find a better agent. You can't sue anyone for being stupid and lazy.

o

Ditto!

o

If the real estate agent is an actual realtor, you can file a complaint against her in many states. Failure to submit offers would be sufficient for a claim in our state. Won't get you anything, but might prevent it from happening to others.

I can't imagine how she would be benefitting from failing to submit, as long as she's not representing the other buyers too--could just be complete incompetence.

o

I would dump her but contact the owner/manager of the agency she works with.

o

Why not ask her why she did not submit the offers?

o

And, I would not be so sure about the advice that you have no grounds to sue.

o

I don't think it makes a difference why she didn't submit the offers so I wouldn't bother asking. Hearing the excuses would just make me madder. She lied and caused the OP to lose the house which is all that matters.

I agree that her behavior isn't "actionable", but the managing broker should be fully apprised of the situation.

o

How do you know that it is your agent and not the listing agent that is lieing to you?

o

What Pixie said - and I would also ask if it was faxed and if she maybe didn't follow up to see that it was received. Those things are notoriously unreliable - if that's what happened she would be negligent but not a liar.

o

Well, you don't know that the bank would have accepted your counter offer. Unfortunately, other than filing a complaint with her office and maybe the board of realtors, I don't think there's much you can do. I would ask her, however, why she didn't submit your counter offer to get her side.

o

You say "The day we found out, we told her to put in a counter offer."
Was your counter-offer in writing or verbal?

Is this to be your full-time residence and is it a Fannie/Freddie foreclosure?

I know some very ethical foreclosure listing agents that I trust their word and others that I believe almost nothing they say

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here