Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hayden2_gw

Staging help - your opinion of the lowly switch plate?

hayden2
10 years ago

We have decided to put our house on the market April 2015. Whew! We want to do what we can to prepare the house - all the little things that aren't big deals, but will be easy to do over the next 12 months.

I just finished painting our entrance hall a color I'd always wanted anyway (BM Alpaca) so now we get a year to enjoy it ourselves. Here's my question: should electrical outlets and light switch plates be white or the same color as the wall paint? Thanks!

Comments (14)

• lyfia
    10 years ago

I prefer them to be white as paint will wear off.

• Circus Peanut
    10 years ago

I'm not sure it matters which, as long as your plates are consistent throughout visible spaces in the house. In the past decade or so, it's been fashionable to use metal finishes instead of the plastic; often people match their switchplates and outlet covers to the metal of the hinges or doorknobs.

You have time, so you can scout sales and eBay auctions for sets of new ones that appeal to you.

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

I prefer them to match the wall color so they don't stand out as much. What color are your walls?

• hayden2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alpaca.

Everyone, thanks for your input.

• sushipup1
    10 years ago

What is "Alpaca"?

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

She said in the first post, her walls were BM Alpaca.

• Happyladi
    10 years ago

It's a meduim beige. I have painted switch plates many times and have never had the paint wear off.

• camlan
    10 years ago

I prefer a plastic or metal switch plate. Because the area around the switch tends to get finger prints and smudges, and paint can be hard to clean, while plastic and metal are a breeze to clean. Depends on the quality of paint, I know, but a buyer doesn't know what paint the owners have used.

That said, painted switch plates would not stop me from buying a house. They'd just be something I'd change out when I had a chance.

• pixie_lou
    10 years ago

Where are your switch plates located? I have an 1950s house, so most of my outlets are down low by the floor and most are blocked by furniture. So all of those have white plastic switch plates. Based on some remodeling, I have a few that are higher up and visible. Those have decorative switch plates based on the decor of the room.

Pick switch plates that you like and are comfortable with. It's easy enough for the buyer to switch them out if they have a strong opinion.

• nancylouise5me
    10 years ago

My switch plates are more along the lines of pixie lou. What ever is the decor of the room. Our kitchen has brass plates to go along with the brass/gold tone of the fixtures. Down stairs bathroom switches will be ocean themed(once I find some I like). Upstairs baths will be Victorian looking. Our bedrooms are mostly the plain white plastic. I have seen clear plastic ones where you can place a piece of fabric or wallpaper behind it so as to match what is on the wall. It is all up to your personal preference. As long as they are the same in the individual room, i don't really think it makes a difference. NancyLouise

• hayden2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone. Based on your input I have decided to do white plastic for the utilitarian electrical outlets near the floor, and metal finished ones for lights switches.

By the time we sell the house, I have a feeling I'll owe you all a commission.

• Circus Peanut
    10 years ago

;-) You'll only owe us if you put these in:

• hayden2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That would certainly make our house memorable!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Wow, wouldn't that be cool if you had switch plates that go with the name of the paint color?

Benjamin Moore Anjou Pear

Porter Paints Fuzzy Unicorn