Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Open House Suggestions

Posted by raya7694 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 25, 10 at 19:52

We have our first open house Sunday. No showings in 3 weeks. Any suggestions for open house besides cleaning. I am hopeful someone shows up. It will be listed in the newspaper and with directional signs.

TIA!

http://www.cbhoa.com/listing.aspx?mls=2100716

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Open House Suggestions

You've got a very nice home. My only suggestion would be to take down all the family photos. As a prospective buyer, they would be distracting to me, if not a little unsettling/creepy.

I like to picture the house as mine already when I am considering buying, not see images of the family that already lives there. Weird, maybe, but I know I'm not alone.

Everything else looks good, decluttered, clean, and tastefully (and minimally) decorated.

o

Are you living there now? I know decluttering is a good thing, but it seems a little bare which is perfectly understandable if you have already moved and just left some furniture and a few accessories there for showing.

o

I would take that beautiful vase by the front door and put it on your bathroom countertop!! Maybe some fresh flowers for the dining room table and maybe a dish of green apples on the kitchen counter or lemons? Very nice home!!
Good Luck!

o

obviously I am not in your area, so I cant comment about your home in specific. Many issues that I see with open houses (specially when held by owners) is that there is too much personalization. Sure, it may be great that you have a barbie collection of 1,200 dolls and they are housed in the guest room, but stage the home as others would want to see it. Try to maximize its assets (i.e. if you have a great deck, show it off), minimize the flaws (if there are no windows in the basement, make sure you have sufficient lighting so the lack of windows is not an issue), and help define the space (i.e. a small bedroom that could be perfect as an office would be more convincing if it was staged as such).

Here is a link that might be useful: Maui Home and Condo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here