Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What if I find my own buyer?

Posted by deanie1 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 10, 10 at 19:22

I have had my house listed for about 2 1/2 weeks and was talking about it at work when a co-worker expressed interest in my house. I am not sure how to handle this. Should I let her see the house? Ask her if she's pre-approved? I do not know if she is working with a buyer's agent or not. And what do I tell my listing agent? If my co-worker wants the house should I try to negotiate for paying less than the full 6% commission? My contract says 3% to my agent and 3% to the buyer's agent. Thanks so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What if I find my own buyer?

Read the details of your listing agreement. If your agent has an "exclusive right to sell", you will still owe her the commission.

o

Give her your agent's card.

o

When I sold my house the commission was 5% whether my agent had to split it with a buyer's agent or keep the whole thing. If it were me, I'd direct the co-worker to the agent and step out of the picture.

o

Usually unless someone was specifically exempt from the contract the agent gets their percentage. READ your contract!

o

Aloha Deaniel, depending on the type of listing contract that you sign, you would still have to pay your listing agent the commission agreed upon (exclusive right to sell), or you might be able to sell the house on your own while still being listed (exclusive right to list, but most agents dont like this type of listing as they are competing with the owner to sell the property). If the agent has the exclusive right to sell, I would ask your coworker if it's ok that the Realtor contact her and allow the process to unfold (your agent is a professional representing your best interest, let them do their job and earn their commission).

Here is a link that might be useful: Buyer's Articles

o

After what I went thru dealing with friends and coworkers, I would hand them a card and tell them to contact your agent. Too many people just wanted to snoop around and really were not interested. I would not show the house, or even discuss it with them.

o

As Marie said, lots of times people are just curious...
& if they are indeed interested in the house, they'd be in an awkward negotiating position...& so would you.

mauirealtor, it's against gardenweb's rules to advertise your own business on the forums, as your links do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here