Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purrparlor

How to approach neighbors about building a fence?

annkathryn
12 years ago

I'm closing escrow on a house this week and plan to remodel it. As part of the remodel I'll be taking down a small structure in the corner of the yard, at the property line. It's grandfathered in, but I can't keep it for a number of reasons. There's a fence on each side of the structure along the property line, but the fence stops right at each end of the structure. When I take the structure down, it will leave an opening to my 2 neighbors' yards. I'll need to replace both sides of the fence.

A picture might be worth a thousand words:

My question is this: how would you approach the 2 neighbors to ask if they'd be willing to contribute to the cost of the fence? Would you get estimates first? Or ask first in case either of them have a preferred fence repair company? The next door neighbor is renting, but I have the owner's email address. I don't have contact information for the neighbor behind; I can send a letter or just knock on their door.

Does anyone have any experience to share?

Comments (19)

• jane__ny
    12 years ago

We are going through fence issues in Florida. This is what I've learned. You can put in a fence without asking the neighbors but the good side of the fence must face the neighbors.

We have looked a many properties with fences and 90% of the individual homeowner replaced the fence without help from the neighbors. We have been told most neighbors don't care about the condition and do not want to contribute.

In our case, we asked our Realtor to contact the sellers regarding the fences and who owned them. The sellers said they replaced all the fencing at their cost as the neighbors were not interested.

One word of caution, make sure you get a survey to be sure of property lines. Also, check with the Homeowners Association for rules regarding fences.

Jane

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks jane, that's helpful. I didn't realize there was a "good" side of the fence. Will check property lines. No HOA here.

I'm prepared to pay the entire cost myself, but wanted to give the neighbors an opportunity to chip in if they felt generous.

• greg_2010
    12 years ago

Personally, since you are the one taking down the structure that is acting as a fence, I'd see it as your responsibility to replace it with a fence. Ethically, at least. No idea what the legal standpoint is.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"You can put in a fence without asking the neighbors but the good side of the fence must face the neighbors. "

Check statutes, zoning, and HOA.

While this is often stated, it is rarely correct.

• dreamgarden
    12 years ago

Many cities and towns have regulations/restrictions about what type of fencing you can have and where/how it gets installed. Contact your building department and get a written copy of the fencing regulations. If a permit is required, see if there is one on file for the existing fence.

Remember to call the utility companies to mark for underground lines. Might not hurt to do this in advance (and take pics) before you have the fence put up so you have a better idea where to place the new one.

Will the fence have space underneath? Our yard has low/wet areas that would become bogs if we blocked them with a fence. We are considering putting drainage tiles (weeping drain?) here and would not want to have to dig under/around a fence to do this.

Here is a link from another fence thread that might be useful:

How do you tell who's fence it is?
    ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/porch/msg111631005785.html?29

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"Many cities and towns have regulations/restrictions about what type of fencing you can have and where/how it gets installed."

Most in the Northeast.

The rest of us do not like to tell folks what to do on their own land that much.

• chispa
    12 years ago

I'm in CA now and believe me, my town has plenty of rules and permit requirements, more than my old town in the Northeast ... here it is all about money. Anything you do requires a permit and they have healthy fees associated with them.

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

I think that you should not expect your neighbors to help pay for the fence.

• Billl
    12 years ago

"My question is this: how would you approach the 2 neighbors to ask if they'd be willing to contribute to the cost of the fence? "

I wouldn't. It would be a horrible way to start off with the neighbors. "Hi, nice to meet you. So, how much do you want to chip in to help me repair the damage I'm about to do?"

If you want to remove a building on your property, you need to factor in all the costs. In this situation, that includes the cost of patching the whole in the fencing that you are going to create.

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to all for your comments. Fences under 6' tall do not require a permit, but it looks like mine are taller than that. I'll measure the next time I'm at the house. Good points about doing a survey and locating underground utilities.

I think what I'll do is contact the neighbors as a courtesy to give them advance notice of our plans, since they (or their yards) will be affected. At that time I'll ask if they'd be willing to contribute to the cost. If they are, fine, if not, that's fine too. In the meantime I'm going to get 3 bids for the work.

• covingtoncat
    12 years ago

100% agree with dlm. Well said.

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Points well taken, I'll refrain from discussing costs as part of my first contact.

• 66and76
    12 years ago

Many good suggestions listed.

To avoid problems:
    1. Get a professional survey and abide by all code requirements.
    2. Notify the 2 affected neighbors regarding your plans and time frame. They might have dogs/children that could get loose without an enclosed yard ;-) Finish quickly.
    3. Place your new fence INSIDE your property if you are paying for it. This will enable you to control the maintenance and style.
    4. Be friendly but businesslike in your approach to this project.
    5. The cost of the fence should be borne by you since it is your choice to take down the structure.

Unfortunately, our neighbors didn't follow #4 when they put up their fence. We are still not speaking.
    Good luck on your project.

• nikkicole786
    8 years ago

I live in the west and to me it sounds fair for the neighboring
    yards to help foot the bill for a fence that both people benefit from. This is a common thing in our area as well. Lots of people put a fence on both sides and other just use the one that someone else has put up. I see it
    this way. If i have a fence on my property that i want to take down i have the
    right to do so and not put one back up. How happy would the neighbors be if
    there was no longer a fence or privacy between the two yards? Would they then
    put up their own fence or contact me to see why i took it down and expect me to
    pay 100% of the cost to put a fence back up on my property? . . .I dont think so! just like they dont have to pay for any part of it.

I think it’s only
    fair for the neighboring yards to help pay for the privacy that everyone wants.
    We know that our neighbors are on fixed incomes (elderly) so we won’t be asking and
    are planning to pay the 5+ thousand dollars to replace the fence as I am
    currently in this position myself. When we bought or house it people dont really thing twice about going back and checking the condition of a fence you look at it and it seems sturdy and looks nice in the yard. However we were sadly mistaken first time we went out to do yard work. The fence is practically
    falling down after closer inspection and need to be replaced very soon. The
    neighbor to our right was already in the process of putting his own fence in on
    that side we did offered to pay half of the cost but he declined. He said we were a
    young family his was grown and away and to keep our money to replace the other
    sections. I think its the neighborly thing to at least ask and on the other side consider helping with
    the cost as both properties benefit from it.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• millworkman
    8 years ago

3 1/2" year old post nikkicole786......

• annkathryn
    8 years ago

We paid for the fence, didn't discuss with the neighbors except to let them know the day the fence was going in so they could keep their dog inside. 3 years later, all is well.

• kswl2
    8 years ago

If they are using the sides and back of the structure as a "fence" as you are, a passive aggressive way to get them to chip in is to remove the structure and do nothing. Sooner or later someone will extend the fence to cover the gap if he or she wants his property fenced. That's probably not a good way to start out in a neighborhood though, just a hair worse than asking them for money as you move in :-)

• Sammy
    8 years ago

You made the right choice.