Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellyfoota

Spring Selling Season Really Started Yet?

kellyfoota
13 years ago

Hey, all. I just wanted to get a feel as to if anyone thinks the spring buyers are out buying yet or maybe there won't be many/any spring buyers?!? We are in the higher end of our market in NC ($795,000) and we have been on the market since late January. We have had a fair amount of showings, considering our price range, and the people/realtors who have seen it, seem to think it shows well and is priced fairly. I watch our neighborhood "competition" and other local neighborhoods in our price range and nothing over $600,000 has sold since January. What is everyone else experiencing? Thanks. I'm getting anxious because hubby has already moved to FL for his new job, so I am "single momming" it ~ 4 active kids and three dogs! :P

Comments (7)

• LoveInTheHouse
    13 years ago

I sold my house the first time in December and the closing fell through in February so I put it back on the market. I am not getting any more inquiries now than I got in November. It's nice weather here now in Virginia, my flowers are starting to bloom, I've already mowed the grass once, probably similar to what you have in North Carolina. But I attract buyers from the north and it's still winter there. So I'm thinking it's going to get busier after Easter.

• teched
    13 years ago

We put our house on the market here in Virginia March 4 for 649. Had 4 strong offers by March 6. We were the highest priced house on the market in a year. We are moving to Chicago, and I have noticed if a really nice property goes on the market for a great price, it is gone in a few days too. I think it has more to do with what buyers are looking for and price. At that price, our house was a bargain. We lost a lot of money on the sale, but like the OP, I am tired of being a "single" mom to three kids.

• kellyfoota
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I wish I could "bargain" price it but we just don't have a lot of cash to bring to the table. Where we are pricing it, we'll probably just break even. Sigh. I guess we are in it for the long haul! Good luck to all of the other sellers out there!

• maurenemm
    13 years ago

My agent thought the buyers would start coming out in April and then peak by early May. (I'm in MD.) Not much has been for sale in our neighborhood this year. Two listed in late February and one of those was snatched right away. Another one listed 2 weeks ago and is already under contract.

I'm not so much worried about buyers coming out as I am about a bunch of houses in our neighborhood suddenly coming on the market right around the time we list (in mid-April). I'm so suspicious too. When I see someone with a lot of junk out on trash day or hear that a neighbor is getting new carpet (like us), I get suspicious that they are going to try to sell soon. So, I think you have a leg up in that you're already on the market and ready for those spring buyers.

• Adella Bedella
    13 years ago

We're in Oklahoma. Dh and I talked to a realtor selling new homes in our neighborhood the other day. He said there was good interest in January when the weather was good. Then the record and blizzard killed February. More interest in March when the weather was good, but then minimal to none now that we are having colder temps again. I suspect a lot of it is weather related and will perk up when it gets warmer.

• kats_meow
    13 years ago

In our area, the spring season has started. Houses started coming onto the market in February. We had listed last year and didn't sell. We relisted the first week of this month, had 4 showings in 2 days and closed this week. We were higher end for our area and did have to write a rather large check at closing.

• kats_meow
    13 years ago

We have had a fair amount of showings, considering our price range, and the people/realtors who have seen it, seem to think it shows well and is priced fairly.

When we were getting ready to relist, we were told that the last price we were listed at was a good price and to relist at that price (or higher at the top of the bracket). And, on paper, comps supported the higher price.

But...we had the house at that price for 3 months last year and had no offers.

We also had a lot of showings last year ...and no offers.

What really did get our house sold was putting it in the next lower search bracket. So low that it attracted immediate notice and was much better than other houses in that bracket. Of course, it hurt to bring a large check to closing, but we needed to sell and that is what it took to do it.