Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paying buyer's closing costs, commission to my Realtor ?

Posted by babs77 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 23, 09 at 17:00

I am selling an investment home in the Denver area for full asking price ($135,000) minus $4,000 toward closing costs I am picking up for the buyer. Is my REA's commission based on the full selling price ($135,000) or the selling price minus the closing costs ($131,000)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paying buyer's closing costs, commission to my Realtor ?

Hi Babs,
Refer to your listing contract... the rascals are in dem small print details. That's the only true answer anyone here could give you.

Congrats on getting a solid buyer!
Dave Donhoff
Leverage Planner

o

Thanks Dave. I had already looked at my contract but didn't see anything that addressed this specifically but I could be overlooking it.

We're very excited to have sold in only 3 months with the current market. Already looking at buying our next fix/flip!

Many helpful folks on this forumn! Thanks again.

Barbara

o

In my area commission is paid on selling price unless otherwise stated.

o

Gross selling price, unless otherwise agreed upon.

o

Line 227 shows the TOTAL commission and lines 264/5 what the listing company offers the buyer agent out of the total.
In Denver this could mean, line 227 6% (3.2% going to listing company) and lines 264/5 2.8%.

Here is a link that might be useful: Colorado Listing Contract

o

Thanks all. Berniek, thanks for the link. My contract looks quite different from the one in your link, but after looking at it again, under "Compensation to Brokerage Firm" I do see where is states "5.0% of the gross sales price in US dollars."

Didn't catch that earlier.

o

"My contract looks quite different from the one in your link,.."

Interesting, the link provided is the only authorized contract to be used by an agent in Colorado, unless the agent also is an attorney and can write their own contract.

o

Interesting yes! He is not an attorney, as far as I know. My contract is defintely different from yours. Now, not sure what to make of it. Any suggestions? Or just let it go "as is"? To be clear, I have a great relationship with my REA, but just had the initial question about how commissions work on a house you get full asking price for minus buyer's closing costs...

o

"The printed portions of this form, except differentiated additions, have been approved by the Colorado Real Estate Commission. (LC50-10-06) (Mandatory 1-07)"

Above are the 1st 2 lines in the contract, note the word "mandatory". Ask if its a standard approved Colorado contract, if not, Id have an attorney review it and probably report the agent to here:
http://www.dora.state.co.us/Real-estate/consumer/index.htm

As to commission and closing cost, you probably pay first the commission off the sales price (ie. $135,000-5%=$128,250-$4,000 closing cost=$124,250). If you were to pay the closing cost first and than the 5%, you would save $200.
It all depends on how your listing contract and purchase contract is written.

Here is a link that might be useful: DORA Consumer Corner

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here