Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babs77_gw

Paying buyer's closing costs, commission to my Realtor ?

babs77
15 years ago

I am selling an investment home in the Denver area for full asking price ($135,000) minus $4,000 toward closing costs I am picking up for the buyer. Is my REA's commission based on the full selling price ($135,000) or the selling price minus the closing costs ($131,000)?

Comments (9)

• dave_donhoff
    15 years ago

Hi Babs,
    Refer to your listing contract... the rascals are in dem small print details. That's the only true answer anyone here could give you.

Congrats on getting a solid buyer!
    Dave Donhoff
    Leverage Planner

• babs77
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Dave. I had already looked at my contract but didn't see anything that addressed this specifically but I could be overlooking it.

We're very excited to have sold in only 3 months with the current market. Already looking at buying our next fix/flip!

Many helpful folks on this forumn! Thanks again.

Barbara

• mpinto
    15 years ago

In my area commission is paid on selling price unless otherwise stated.

• ncrealestateguy
    15 years ago

Gross selling price, unless otherwise agreed upon.

• berniek
    15 years ago

Line 227 shows the TOTAL commission and lines 264/5 what the listing company offers the buyer agent out of the total.
    In Denver this could mean, line 227 6% (3.2% going to listing company) and lines 264/5 2.8%.

Here is a link that might be useful: Colorado Listing Contract

• babs77
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all. Berniek, thanks for the link. My contract looks quite different from the one in your link, but after looking at it again, under "Compensation to Brokerage Firm" I do see where is states "5.0% of the gross sales price in US dollars."

Didn't catch that earlier.

• berniek
    15 years ago

"My contract looks quite different from the one in your link,.."

Interesting, the link provided is the only authorized contract to be used by an agent in Colorado, unless the agent also is an attorney and can write their own contract.

• babs77
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Interesting yes! He is not an attorney, as far as I know. My contract is defintely different from yours. Now, not sure what to make of it. Any suggestions? Or just let it go "as is"? To be clear, I have a great relationship with my REA, but just had the initial question about how commissions work on a house you get full asking price for minus buyer's closing costs...

• berniek
    15 years ago

"The printed portions of this form, except differentiated additions, have been approved by the Colorado Real Estate Commission. (LC50-10-06) (Mandatory 1-07)"

Above are the 1st 2 lines in the contract, note the word "mandatory". Ask if itÂs a standard approved Colorado contract, if not, IÂd have an attorney review it and probably report the agent to here:
    http://www.dora.state.co.us/Real-estate/consumer/index.htm

As to commission and closing cost, you probably pay first the commission off the sales price (ie. $135,000-5%=$128,250-$4,000 closing cost=$124,250). If you were to pay the closing cost first and than the 5%, you would save $200.
    It all depends on how your listing contract and purchase contract is written.

Here is a link that might be useful: DORA Consumer Corner