Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olivesmom_gw

Am I missing something- where did the shoe thread go?

olivesmom
11 years ago

Is it a new formatting issue or is the shoe thread from a day or two gone?

Comments (49)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

The OP took her ball and left the game...

She deleted the initial post, and I am thinking she also got the thread pulled.

• john_wc
    11 years ago

I miss the shoe thread.

• kellienoelle
    11 years ago

Stay tuned, I'm going to start a thread about abortion and gay marriage that will probably be less polarizing

;)

• beasty
    11 years ago

Funny!

• Eden-Manor
    11 years ago

LOL!

Well, she definitely got the opinions she asked for. ;) Abortion and gay marriage definitely sounds like a less polarizing thread but way more interesting than wearing shoes in the house!

• Circus Peanut
    11 years ago

Dang, I missed it. I LOVE these shoes-in-the-house threads.

• john_wc
    11 years ago

Maybe Al Bundy will look at her home and take his shoes off.

• chispa
    11 years ago

If I was a buyer, it wouldn't make a difference to me if her white carpets were spotless or stained. I would offer less for the house because I would have to replace the carpet with hardwood and/or tile. I have pulled up carpet and I have no plans of living with someone else's old carpet, shoes or no shoes!

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

About the subject of this one though, it would be great if she came and reported on this thread--

Did you ask to have it taken down, or is it now a policy/automatic that if the head/original post is edited and deleted, the post is automatically deleted? Or, did you ask GW heads to remove it?

• gyr_falcon
    11 years ago

There should be a banner warning for us newer folks about the hazing dangers of booty threads. lol I'm sorry she got upset, though.

Is there a forum guidelines section in GW? I haven't found very much listed and don't want to get kicked out for things coming out of left field.

• chispa
    11 years ago

Gyr falcon, the original shoes poster did not get kicked out. She was offended that people told her to suck it up and get over it, if she wanted to sell the house. Not what she wanted to hear so she must have deleted her original post and asked for the thread to be deleted. You can edit/delete your own posts, but only Admin can wipe out a whole thread.

• gyr_falcon
    11 years ago

chispa, I guess my confusion stems a bit from why the thread was removed. I didn't read anything that seemed to warrant that level of cleaning. I am hoping it was only because the original post was deleted or the OP requested it.

For future reference, do administrators post warnings in threads they think are getting out of hand, or do they just suspend or ban who they think is causing a problem? I never thought I would ever even have to ask, because offending her was never my intention, but her response to the posts took me by surprise.

• ncrealestateguy
    11 years ago

I am sorry I missed all the excitement. I missed it all. I was busy showing homes the last few days... with my shoes on.

• xamsx
    11 years ago

LOL This thread is hilarious.

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

I only want Christian Louboutin soles touching my home's floors, thank you very much!

• Circus Peanut
    11 years ago

ps: lol livewire!

• kellienoelle
    11 years ago

Livewire....well the house in question WAS an 800K house. So, the red soled shoes would just be a given in this situation.

Gyr - to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if my comment may have been the one that angered the OP since I called her on the bullying comment. But oh well, I stand by it.

• chispa
    11 years ago

Gyr Falcon, I'll second the comments made by circuspeanut. You really have to try hard to get kicked out! Not much you can do about a poster that has an agenda and only wants cheerleaders to answer their post.

Welcome to the forum!

• chispa
    11 years ago

Kellienoelle, since this is a RE forum, we all know that location makes a big difference ... in my area, the $800K house would be an old fixer upper needing quite a bit of work ... probably not a place you would want to walk around in socks or bare feet!! There are also a couple of small teardown lots at that price right now too ... definately don't want to check those out in your bare feet!

• weedyacres
    11 years ago

Just to clarify, posts aren't auto deleted if the OP deletes their original posting. I saw the thread when it had a blank first post but still had the others. Deletion is definitely a manual thing. But the mods don't usually delete posts just because the OP requests it. Recall casragtop's going down in flames a couple months ago....tried to take the threads with him, but they just deleted his offensive posts and kicked him off the board.

• kellienoelle
    11 years ago

Oh Chispa, I know. I was repeating something said by the OP back from the original thread (and probably being unnecessarily catty too).

I don't know if I am fortunate or unfortunate to live in an area where $800K would be a darn nice house. I guess all that means is that I am geographically undesirable.

• gyr_falcon
    11 years ago

Thanks, circuspeanut. I thought as much, but it is nice to learn. All forums have their own little way of doing things. I want to be able to pick brains here when I need help from the kitchen remodel, bath remodel and design frequenters. And if everything goes south, I'll need RE selling input.

Thanks for the welcome, chispa. My habit is to read forums a long while before joining in with posts, but obviously I missed the nuanced warnings about benign-appearing subjects that just had plenty of time to allow the previous dust to settle.

And appreciation to the you-know-who-you-ares that inserted the various amusements along the thread. lol Geez, how can GW have a gazillion separate forums, and not one off-topic social place where we can laugh before facing the daily battles of home and garden?

• kellienoelle
    11 years ago

Looky at what I found in browsing the other day, this maybe common knowledge for the rest of you all but I just discovered it....

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/decor/nph-ind.cgi?type=con

This may be what you are looking for Gyr - it's called "conversations" so maybe where all the off topic stuff goes, and hopefully a few laughs.

• gyr_falcon
    11 years ago

Well, whatdoyaknow. Thank you for the link, kellienoelle! :-)

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

I saw it after she had deleted the OP too, but I wondered if they the GW folks just decided to delete it.

There was nothing on there that was personal, offensive, bullying, nasty etc... So...weird.

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

Several of the forums have a "conversations" side. Two that come to mind are the Decorating forum conversations linked above, and also the Kitchen forum has a conversation side.
    But if you are looking for controversy head over to Hot Topics

• chispa
    11 years ago

Kellienoelle, I knew you were being a bit "cheeky", I was too. The shoe poster seemed to call out her 800k number to impress, but it made me chuckle because my vision of that price range is a 1950's ranch that has seen better days and I'd probably want to wear closed shoes instead of sandals.

Yes, the Conversation side of the Decorating forum is a good place for OT discussions. If you want crazy, then go to the Hot Topics forum. Bring your flame thrower and wear kevlar undies! ;-)

• kellienoelle
    11 years ago

Oh look, there is already a gay marriage topic going strong over there! It seems I have merely scratched the surface of all GW has to offer.

Regarding the varying costs of homes, my mother is sickened by all that I can get for my money out here in suburban Kansas as compared to what my brother had to pay for NoVA. My comeback is always yeah, but I have to live in Kansas! (Although kansas can be a lovely place so no offense to any fellow Midwesterners!)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

"Regarding the varying costs of homes, my mother is sickened by all that I can get for my money out here in suburban Kansas as compared to what my brother had to pay for NoVA."

I hear you on that!

The down payment for my daughter's Seattle-area house was as much as the entire purchase price of my son's Pittsburgh-area house.
    Both are ~1100 square feet, and my son's house has amazing woodwork.

• gyr_falcon
    11 years ago

Oddly enough, out of habit that the bottom of pages are an advertizing zone, I never looked below the forum page numbers for an off topic link. Especially with all of the recent incidents of shampoo stinging my eyes.

The hotter topics--don't think that neighborhood would be a good fit for me! While I may read, because I like to hear varying points of view, too many people are rigid and just like to argue.

• chispa
    11 years ago

It seems you gals can rationalize price dfferences between Kansas/NoVA and Seattle/Pitts. How about top school town in Boston vs top school town in LA? All the demographics, income, etc are very similar, but the house in LA is double the cost. I have sliced and diced the fundamentals and the only thing I can come up with for the difference is the weather! Crazy.

• Eden-Manor
    11 years ago

I'm in NoVA and it's amazing how much difference 30 miles makes. $800K would buy you a nice house with some acreage in the 'burbs; in the city, however, it won't buy you that much. So, even in the same region prices vary.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"$800K would buy you a nice house with some acreage in the 'burbs"

Pretty remote burbs.

$800k will not get you much in the way of land in McLean or Great Falls.

How long do you want to spend commuting?

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

I think those "burbs" are located in PAor WV if you want actual acreage. Yes, I know people who commute from those locations into government jobs in DC just so they can have their breathing room home sites.

• mum2gandb
    11 years ago

Brickeyee: Loudoun County. Western Loudoun has some good deals to be had.

This post was edited by mum2gandb on Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 13:19

• mum2gandb
    11 years ago

Loudoun is considered Northern Virginia, isn't it?

McLean/Great Falls is just stone's toss from DC. I consider that part of the beltway. Not the 'burbs by any stretch.

• mum2gandb
    11 years ago

I see there was a lot of fun to be had over my shoe thread.

:)

No worries!

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

Sooo... since you are here and others are wondering....

DID you request that the thread be pulled?

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

" Loudoun County. Western Loudoun has some good deals to be had."

Only if you do not work in Washington or very close in.

It is pretty remote as suburbs to the actual city go.

• mum2gandb
    11 years ago

LuAnn_in_PA: I felt the thread was getting a little too negative and I didn't want to contribute any more negativity.

I now understand that me asking potential buyers to take their shoes off in our very nice home is completely unreasonable. Point well taken.

And that being said, I don't want this to be negative. I heard everyone's opinion--and indeed I did ask for it.

Have a nice day! And by all means, keep your shoes on! :)

• mike_in_kc
    11 years ago

Actually Mike is my husband. I am Marg and started posting back in 1997. (Gosh, that was awhile ago.) I have since lost my login as Marg in KC and haven't posted in years. Now I am retired and have a little more time. Also, we are no longer in Kansas City. We are in the Black Hills near Rapid City.

Just curious--does anyone else remember Spike Hernandez and the "spinning cups" if you posted inappropriately?

• chispa
    11 years ago

Yep, if you were naughty, you got redirected to the Disney website when you logged in!! It happened to me once, but I was mostly lurking, so i don't remember why! Have to go pick up a kid ... back later!

• xamsx
    11 years ago

Ah Spike ... I never ended up at Disney, but I can't say I was sorry when he sold.

• susanjn
    11 years ago

Wow, you learn something everyday. I never knew Spike had a last name. And I never knew what exactly happened when you got "sent to Disney". I thought it was a reference I just didn't get. I wonder why he chose Disney. Maybe that's the reference I don't get.

• Nancy in Mich
    11 years ago

Yeah, Spike would literally "send" you to Disney! And a last name? Thank you Marg near Rapid City! I have been thinking fondly of the Spike days lately and wondering what Spike did after selling out to IVillage. Anybody know? THS is such a great place. Spike did a great thing in creating it for us. Did he create the whole Garden Web?

I used to hang at Buying and Selling, but hope never to move again, so have not been back in a while. I just ventured back today, saw the mention of "shoes" and had to check it out.

Gyr Falcon, back when Spike ran things, you would get a warning if you got out of line, then would find that you could not log on if Spike decided that you violated again. As said above, when you logged on, you would go to the Disney web site, instead. People referred to this as "riding the spinning cups" or "spinning with the cups," as in the teacup ride. Somebody on the forum would notice that one of the regulars had not posted in a while, and would ask about them. Had anyone heard from them? Another regular who was in touch through email would reply that the person was,"spinning with the cups," or "visiting Disney." You could try apologizing to Spike and maybe get back on THS. Sometimes, the ban was only temporary. Other times you could try to re-register as some other name (probably from a different computer, too), but then had to be careful about folks knowing it was you. At one point, the whole Building a Home regulars went off and started their own forum at a blog site because some regulars were banned. Does anyone know is that site still going?

• gyr_falcon
    11 years ago

Rerouting you to a Disney "vacation". Now that is funny! Thanks for sharing the some of the interesting history of this place.

(And it is surprising how all-over-the-place THIS thread has gone. lol)

• chispa
    11 years ago

Nancy_in_Mich, yes, the website started by the Building a Home regulars is still going. Not much technical stuff is discussed, mostly a group of friends keeping in touch.

Another trivia. Do you remember when we all lost our capital letters? Newbies, did you notice all user names are lower case? The site did a software update at some point a few years ago and poof, we lost any capital letters in our names. Everyone complained, but we never got them back!

• Nancy in Mich
    11 years ago

Yes, I remember the loss of caps. I still add them back in when I type someone's name. If a newbie chose all lower case for a screen name, I am sure I add caps to theirs, too. I never check to see how old a name is. I don't even remember how long ago we lost our caps. I was never conscious until right now that newbies can have caps again.

I see Allison posting in the Kitchen forum, and that reminded me about the alternative forum from BaH.

• chispa
    11 years ago

Nancy, I didn't even notice that new members had caps!!! Funny! I also add them in when I type a name.

I started reading in the building forum sometime in 1998. Lost my old user name at some point and signed up again later on.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County