Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (10)

• mariend
    14 years ago

You also posted on the 13th and you are concerned. talk to the realtor and Broker and find out why the price was set without you contributing. Look at the homes in your area, compare what is listed (not new) Maybe you need to do some additional research on prices, location, the way she/he advertises, etc.
    We went 3 years, but we were in a rural area, and went thru 2 realtors and finally found one that knew the area and sold in 2 weeks, closed in 45 days.

• larke
    14 years ago

You really should be having this talk with your realtor, and you really should have set the price yourself (after researching the mkt and comps). Your realtor should be arranging showings if nothing else (like an open house).

• idrive65
    14 years ago

Comparing to the new construction house on your street, the new house is empty and clean and NEW, and that usually trumps "used". The colors and style of other house's kitchen look a more up-to-date. Your stained baseboards and molding look exactly like what my parents had 25 years ago, where the new house has white painted trim that looks fresher. You hardly notice your lovely fireplace with all that distraction around it (TV and artwork). Your photos do not do your home justice at ALL, they have a greenish haze or something that makes it look like they were taken decades ago, and they give your carpet and ceilings the appearance of being dirty which I'm sure they are not. Also, taking pictures directly at a window makes the rest of the room look dark and gloomy. You have a beautiful deck that isn't shown to it's best advantage. I'd retake your pictures, use less of them, and drop your price.

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

Here are clickable links:
    OP's house

And the new construction

• covingtoncat
    14 years ago

It is very hard to compete with new construction sometimes. I agree that the kitchen in one of the new homes looks more opulent (I only looked @ one). Why is your house worth 10K more? More sq footage, bathrooms, upgraded finishes, etc? Sometimes buying new is less attractive (you have to buy all window coverings, fencing, blah, blah blah.

I would have a discussion with your Realtor asap to address all your concerns.

Your home shows very will in the pictures. Good Luck.

• raya7694
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We had an open house and two couples came through. One said they really loved it but I just found out they lost a contingency new construction that just sold.

We have so much new construction in our area. How do I compete with that? My house is priced competitively but I don't think people realize what it cost to do landscaping, blinds, finish a basement and bathroom.

We have been on the market one month and I am wandering if we should reduce the price or wait a little longer.

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

Does your advertising emphasize the established landscaping and the finished basement?

• bmrbabe
    14 years ago

Have you changed the pictures in the last eight days, since idrive65 posted on March 23rd? I was expecting something really hideous, but I like your house! We have a mishmash of painted/stained woodwork in our house. Your house was built in 2006, so I'm not sure why idrive thought it was 25 years out of date??

Emphasize the finished basement and landscaping, as lazygardens asked. I think the new home is totally lifeless and blah. It looks like almost every other new home. Emphasis that yours has charm and character. You may want to put out some information at your open house indicating what a finished basement costs - and the landscaping. Mention that the window coverings stay so that the new owner doesn't HAVE to get something immediately.

If you haven't already toured the new construction, do so. Also, if there are any other "used" houses for sale comparable to yours, look at them as well. Take someone with you who can be objective about making comparisons to what is available on the market right now.

Follow up on the price, and how it is determined. Did you interview other realtors or just this one? Some other recommendations from different brokers might be in order as well.

Good luck; stay optimistic because it WILL sell!

• ncrealestateguy
    14 years ago

I think your property is priced OK. You have about 900 sq. ft. more.
    You really need to markewt the basement. The new homes do not have this. Take down the baseball player sticky, and stage that basement to make it as lively as possible. Your buyer is going to buy your house over the new home because of the basement.
    The only thing that might turn buyers off is the unpainted wood trim and the popcorn ceilings.
    Be patient and wait it out.

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

" Look at the homes in your area, compare what is listed (not new)"

Listing prices mean nothing.

Tell your RE agent you want a 'competitive market analysis' using CLOSED sales in the area.