Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephpi

Can you help me stage my formal living room?

stephpi
13 years ago

This living room is the first room you see when you step into our foyer. It has the formal dining on the other side of it(the red room). We also have a family room that has a fireplace and the tv.

We have used this room for the kids. The TV is for video games. I am open to anything....I will remove anything and add pretty much anything. I know I need it to look like a usable space, but I've always HATED formal living rooms, so I don't know what to do with it.

Sorry for the kids mess....that goes without saying all of that will be removed. Also sorry for the dark pic, I couldn't get my flash to go off.

Thanks for ANY help!!

Comments (15)

• Jamie
    13 years ago

It would help to see the electronics.

If they are messy looking, I would center the sofa on the wall where it already is, remove the electronics, and move the chair to wall where the stair is. Make sure to keep the plant in there, and you need a lamp someplace.

If the electronics are contained in an armoire or some furniture that looks nice then I'd just add the lamp.

• jimandanne_mi
    13 years ago

Since your LR is the first thing people see, and first impressions are so important, I'd move all video games & kids stuff to the family room. Then figure out how to make the LR as attractive as possible. You have pretty windows and front entry, so it seems to me that it would be a downer to walk from there into a LR and see FR stuff. It spoils the mood IMO.

Anne

• gmp3
    13 years ago

It would be helpful if you could pick up (as if you were having a showing) and photograph the second shot with more light or at a brighter time of the day. I am having trouble seeing what everything is in the picture, and am distracted by the toys, etc.

• gwbr54
    13 years ago

Many people think a living room is superfluous, but they would like another room. Since you have a separate family room, I'd stage your front room as the 'away' room for quiet activities like reading, conversation, laptop use, napping...

I could see a long, narrow console or desk under the windows, with a healthy plant, a nice lamp, a couple of books, and a place to drop keys. If the TV were a thin plasma, I'd keep it, but since it isn't, I'd relocate it (sorry kids). If you don't have other furniture for this room, then I'd shift the chair to the stairwell wall, and angle it. I'd add a low bookcase with books, and hang artwork above. Then I'd look for a large ottoman (or two smaller ones) for in front of the sofa. Add a floor lamp behind sofa on the dining room side. If you have an area rug to add color, that would be great. But you could add some color with a throw over the chair back, or pillows on sofa, or artwork.

I wouldn't recommend spending much money, so a lot depends on what you could find that you may already have. Good luck!

• graywings123
    13 years ago

You have nice neutral furniture, good wall color and really nice drapes. You could stage the room a bit with end tables, lamps, etc., but cleaning up the toys may be all you have to do. Changing out the red walls in the dining room would be a bigger priority for me.

• Jamie
    13 years ago

It would help to see the electronics.

If they are messy looking, I would center the sofa on the wall where it already is, remove the electronics, and move the chair to wall where the stair is. Make sure to keep the plant in there, and you need a lamp someplace.

If the electronics are contained in an armoire or some furniture that looks nice then I'd just add the lamp.

• logic
    13 years ago

The link below should help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Staging Tips

• Adella Bedella
    13 years ago

-I would get rid of the tv, stand, and the other kids stuff.
    -Rearrange your furniture so it is more inviting. I think at least one peice of seating needs to be at angle in the room. I'm not sure how this would look, but you might even pull the the couch over to the side so it is under the stairs. The chair might look better if it were angled into the corner where you are walking into the dining room. I think furniture looks better in groups of three. Do you have another chair or loveseat, you could put in the room? A small table by the chair might look nice. I'd move stuff around in the room until it looks right. It might not be the most comfortable for living, but sometimes you have to do what you need to do to get it sold.-I think you need more height in the room to add interest.
    -I would put the dried twig arrangement on a plant stand and maybe adding s few pieces with color into the arrangement.
    -I like your fern, but I think it needs to be moved so it is in the line of sight where you first glance into the room. I might add a couple of other nice size plants with a little bit of height into the room too.
    -I don't think your picture has enough presence on the wall. You need something bigger and with color.
    -I think you need some colorful accents like pillows.
    -I like your curtains. I think they add appeal to the room.

• jane__ny
    13 years ago

Logic, when I clicked on your link I got a WOT warning that the site was unsafe.

Jane

• stephpi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for the advice! I like a lot of the ideas and I will be taking everything you say into consideration and working on this room in the next few days. :-)

• graywings123
    13 years ago

The link that Logic posted is fine. It has lots of good info on staging.

• pink_overalls
    13 years ago

You certainly have the right attitude -- being willing to do whatever to make it suitable for selling.

Think end tables. The room just doesn't look comfortable without them. A large one in the empty corner would work well, if you maintain the current furniture arrangement. It would make a big difference to have an end table at each end of the couch. They don't have to match.

There's no focal point in the room, so you'll have to create one. The tv is where attention goes now, not good. Your windows are one of the best features, so maybe you can emphasize that with your furniture grouping. Plants, lamps, nothing too small, and you're good to go.

Let us know how you do. Good luck with your staging and sale.

• Beth Stickney
    3 years ago

I have a large living room that opens into the dining room. The living room is so big I need help with a couch, love seat and a chair.

• Beth Stickney
    3 years ago

I need help staging my living room

• function_first
    3 years ago

Hi Beth - this thread is 9 years old. To get the most help, start a new thread, and post some pics of your living room. These types of questions usually get a lot of responses, if they're not buried in an old thread.