Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
freebird_wr

Many showings, no offers

freebird_wr
14 years ago

Hi,

We originally put our house on the market in July 2008. That year, which was a bad year for real estate, we had many showings. There were a couple of 2nd showings and one with 3 showings - no offers. We took it off the market for the holidays and put it back on the market in the spring under a different realtor and a reduced price. Lots of showings, no offers. Off the market for the holidays. Put it back on the market with another realtor right after Christmas and a reduced price. We have had about 25-30 showings and a couple 2nd showings. No offers. We are going to replace the roof (15 years old and missing some shingles). Other than that, we don't have a clue what is going on. According to our realtor, we are competitive, but no the least expensive house in our price point. I have attached the link in Realtor.com so that you can see what you think.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Warner-Robins_GA_31088_1114883918

Comments (9)

• Linda
    14 years ago

The only thing that I can think of is that the house is competitively priced with other homes in your area for size and age, but there is most likely plenty to choose from in the price range. With a good amount of 2nd and 3rd showings, you are obviously losing out in the 11th hour. Instead of you being the icing on the cake, you are being ruled out with those 2nd showings for some reason. Something about those other homes keeps beating you. I would reduce my price another 10k to be the best price for what you are offering and move on. Its been almost 2 years of this. Best of Luck to you.

• stapleface
    14 years ago

I REALLY like your house. But perhaps it just isn't showing that well? Here's a couple of suggestions that you may want to try to make the house appeal to more people. First thing I would do would be to repaint the kitchen and eating area. While I like the reddish paint, I think perhaps it could be turning buyers off? Maybe some sort of neutral tan or cream color would look better? Second, do you have green grass outside yet? While a couple of other houses also seem to have similar brown/dead grass, it just doesn't grab me. I think just having the green grass would do wonders for the look of the front of the house. The third thing I would consider would be to replace/change the fixtures in the master bath. I know this sounds petty, but the brass fixtures just look very dated. Changing everything over to a brushed metal look would update the look of the bathroom, in my opinion. I don't see much wrong with your house, but unfortunately most people can't look past simple cosmetic things. Perhaps with those changes you may be able to get an offer.

• freebird_wr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the tips. What would be the biggest turnoff for a buyer - needing a new roof or new carpet? We believe that our house needs both, but we decided on the roof.

• jjellis
    14 years ago

We had the same problem, competative price, tons of showings and no offers. Did get feedback that carpet was worn so we decided to replace it, once we replaced the carpet, we sold the house within 24 hrs!!

What is the feedback that you're getting from the showings? I know feedback from the showings doesn't always give you much to go on but it's a good start.

Hang in there, I know how hard and stressful the whole process can be. Hopefully you'll sell soon.

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

You are getting showings, so this advice is really just for the general readers here. You should ask your agent to change the order of the pictures so that the first four pictures are not just of the exterior. People scan the listings quickly, and you want the first 4 pictures to give a good representation of the house - not just the exterior.

On the plus side, it looks like your agent is subscribing to enhanced listings on Realtor.com, which is a good thing.

• Adella Bedella
    14 years ago

I think you have good curb appeal. It's obviously working to get people in.

Not being in your market or knowing the prices, I think you probably need to update your house or lower the price to get a buyer. Something that caught my eye when I was looking through your pictures was that there were no mention of updates and some things do look dated. Your house is 15 years old so 'well maintained' sort of hints that things will start breaking down in the near future. Right now in this market, you have to be the best deal the buyers in your price range can find. If your carpet needs to be replaced, I'd replace it. I'd also replace the roof ASAP if it needs it because you'll probably end up replacing it anyway after the inspection and you can list it right now as an update.

I also think there are a few things that you can do to change the look inexpensively. I agree that the reddish color walls need to be repainted. I'd also suggest repainting the office to neutralize it. I love your little girls room and would leave it alone since it is a child's room. Another thing I'd suggest if it is in the budget is to switch to simple, long nuetral/solid color curtains to give the rooms a softer look. I'd also make the master look a little more romantic by dressing up the bed and curtains. As much as we all know that the furniture isn't going with the house, I'd suggest getting couch covers in a neutral color to cover the plaid.

It may be easier to drop the price rather to update. You know your budget. These are just suggestions.

Good luck!

• deanie1
    14 years ago

freebird, I looked at your house and agree with stapleface that it may not be showing well. If I were a buyer I honestly would be disappointed because the outside of your house is totally awesome, but the inside could use some redecorating. You seem to have a red and blue theme going on -- perhaps neutralize. Your kitchen is small and the refrig. looks a whole dif. shade of white than everything else. Your island is painted two-toned kinda oddly, maybe make it all white.. A buyer would immediately realize wallpaper removal (the borders) and painting would have to be done, especially if they don't have a girl. Lastly, the master bedroom could use some warmth -- honestly I had to really think about which room was your master. It doesn't come off in the pics as an adult oasis. A neutral, solid bedspread, pillows, flowers, etc.

Lastly, your home has the look of someone older (like the plaid fabric). Perhaps go to a trendy store and pick up some accessories that scream 2010 for your walls and tabletops) to appeal to a younger crowd.

• mauirealtor
    14 years ago

Freebird,

I would say that you may be chasing the market. You need to price your home aggressively if you are motivated to sell. I am not saying that you should give it away, but if you keep having to reduce the price to compete with the market, you are already losing out. Price accordingly to sell fast so you can stop the carrying costs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maui Home and Condo

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

I also agree. The paint colors need to be softened. Throw covers on the couches. Some people just hate plaid. The dinning room table in the bay is nice but I think the bay window would show better with out the table set shoved into it.

I love bright colors but they have to be my colors. Most of your rooms are softer colors so it is not the whole house to paint. The child's room is darling.

I have an internet friend in your neighborhood. :^)