Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hayden2_gw

Question on curb appeal

hayden2
13 years ago

When I watch any of the HGTV shows on staging a home for sale, it seems the finished home never has a storm door.

We're selling a home now, and I was wondering what you folks think - should we keep the storm door, or get rid of it?

Comments (14)

• lyfia
    13 years ago

Are they common in your area? Ie do most people have one. If so keep it, if not remove it. In my area they are not common at all.

• maurenemm
    13 years ago

I think it depends on the condition/quality of the storm door. Some older storm doors do detract from the appearance of a house. If yours is older, you maybe should consider replacing it or removing it. But nice ones - like with full length glass, I think look good. Also, I think if you have a covered porch a storm door is less noticeable (as far as curb appeal).

• hayden2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, both of you. I appreciate your help.

• krycek1984
    13 years ago

I agree with the above...there's nothing worse than an ugly storm door but if it's a nice storm door, and it is customary for the area, I would certainly leave it on!!!!

Here in Ohio it is definitely common to have a storm door on the front door (usually one of those full glass ones, especially in newer homes). It just gets way too cold not to have one. The difference between a door with and without a storm door in winter is night and day.

The exception would be unusual front doors. For example my Mom has an old Tudor revival from the 30's and there's no possible way a storm door would even fit due to the fact that the door is arched.

• badgergrrl
    13 years ago

krycek,

My friends live in such a house and they have a storm door. It's wood, with a window for winter that changes out to a screen in the summer. Old school for an old house, I guess. Unusual front doors can always have storm/screen doors made, we have a local millworking company that does them quite a bit.

To the OP, I would agree with the consensus, if your climate dictates it, by all means, leave it.

• LoveInTheHouse
    13 years ago

I also notice they take out the TV's! Who can live like that? Especially in this slow market. How many American Idols and The Bachelor does one have to miss to sell a house? lol

I have to say, since we're on the subject, I bought my house largely because of the curb appeal. It had me at the curb, it's true.

• hayden2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good points, LITH. The stagers confuse me - they go from taking out all the TV's, to putting the TV front and center as the major item showcased over the fireplace.

I think I'll take off the storm door. It probably is more frequent to have one than not in our area, but as all of you point out, condition is key. And it doesn't seem in good shape, so it would be a net negative.

Thanks.

• North_Andover
    13 years ago

"I think it depends on the condition/quality of the storm door." As mentioned above, the quality is a big deal. Curb appeal likes to focus on the front door. Seeing it fully. If you have newer storm that is mostly glass then it works but if it is older and covers up the door, ditch it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Andover MA homes

• calliope
    13 years ago

I live in Ohio, as well. It's a big selling point to have full screens and storms. But, they aren't expensive to install. If it were me, I'd purchase a new one and install it if it is a common amenity in your area.

• OttawaGardener
    13 years ago

I live in Ottawa, where it gets pretty darn cold! I wouldn't have a storm door, because they're not necessary with a good quality exterior door. There was one on the back of our house which I removed when we replaced that door - it drove me nuts that I had to open two doors everytime the dogs wanted out. What purpose can this possibly serve?

• badgergrrl
    13 years ago

It creates a sort of air lock, similar to a storm window on old wood windows.

Many older homes have them, especially if they have their original wood doors.

You have your exterior door, then you have a screen/storm door. Originally, you would have a screen that would pop out that you would replace with a storm window.

It also provides an option to have a screen door in the summer for ventilation and fresh air. Especially if you have a similar set up at the back of the house, you can get very nice circulation going.

Additionally, it offered/offers protection for the exterior door from wind, rain, snow, etc. Much easier and cheaper to replace that (most likely) pine door than your oak door.

I would think the newer styles, which tend to be solid glass, would offer additional light into a space. Most new doors tend to let very little natural light in, presumably for security purposes - which is completely understandable - but, not always desirable.

• OttawaGardener
    13 years ago

Thanks, badgergrrl, the summer screen door makes sense.

But having lived in four homes, all 60-120 years old, I'll go with a good exterior door every time :-) I get the "air lock" concept, but the reality is that the seal isn't that great, and every time you open one door, you have to open the other. We had an environmental audit done on our current home when we bought it 6 years ago, and he advised that we replace all 4 exterior doors because even with a storm door, there was significant air leakage in winter. This was fairly expensive, and if I was looking to buy another home, I'd take a pretty close look at the doors!

• hayden2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

pink overalls, you are so right! I hate the way the door hits me, although it never hits me on the heels, but on another body part.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and help.